Won't charge. Any suggestions?

@GeoffJ
Short video explaining the process at a Pod Point 7kw post, same as Tesco.

Sorry I will be continuing to follow the instructions in my book for the 5, please note it was a ZS going on charge not the 5 the instructions I posted above are from the manual for the MG5 .

Sorry I will be continuing to follow the instructions in my book for the 5, please note it was a ZS going on charge not the 5 the instructions I posted above are from the manual for the MG5 .
I have had a ZS EV and now a 5. I have used the same process as the video for both and it worked perfectly everytime.
I would also add, switch off car before connecting. No need to lock or unlock to start charge on either vehicles. Once charge has started car can be switched on (without footbrake) to use infotainment - I often listen to an audiobook, and can be locked unlocked at will.

One thing I have learned is to make sure I have put the car into 'park' before switching off the ignition. Seems to make a difference on some rapid chargers.

I have had a ZS EV and now a 5. I have used the same process as the video for both and it worked perfectly everytime.
I would also add, switch off car before connecting. No need to lock or unlock to start charge on either vehicles. Once charge has started car can be switched on (without footbrake) to use infotainment - I often listen to an audiobook, and can be locked unlocked at will.
I think what this tells us is the process is not fixed one way or the other what works for me is the manual and what works for you is different, to who has a problem just try a different method as different things work at different times, places and processes. There is a saying if all else fails follow the instructions.

If I switch on without the footbrake the 12v battery drains very fast and I can get HV battery cut off so I always power up fully, even when charging.

If I switch on without the footbrake the 12v battery drains very fast and I can get HV battery cut off so I always power up fully, even when charging.
Press the start button twice, without the footbrake so the light goes green on the button and it keeps the 12v topped up, you can see the voltage obviously on the dash, and infotainment won't go off after 5 minutes or whatever.
It will warn you you are connected to a charger, just press OK and you can use the arrow functions on the steering wheel. I use this to monitor the charging, from the 7kw by looking at the power usage screen..

Pod point can have issues with charge rate in the past I have connected to 22Kw to actually see it charging at 7Kw. Others I have seen say 3Kw but actually charge at 7Kw they work just not at the advertised rate.
You will never get 22Kw on the Type 2 connector as the system is single phase. 7Kw max.

I've had problems getting my MG5 SR to start charging when connected to a Pod Point Fast charger at my local supermarket. The sequence I normally use is 1. Connect cable to Vehicle, 2. Connect cable to Charger, 3. Activate device on my mobile, 4. Lock car. I then look at the MG display (through the window of the locked car) which should say Connected - Charging, with a number of hours to complete (100%) charging. Sometimes the number of hours stays blank which from experience indicates that it is not charging. This may be due to me getting the charging sequence wrong, or some other reason. On checking the Owners Handbook I found an inconsistency... On page 137 it recommends the charging cable be connected to the charging device BEFORE connecting to the vehicle. This is a general recommendation so presumably applies to Slow, Fast and Rapid charging devices.
On page 145 it says connect the charging cable to the vehicle first, then connect to the electricity supply. This is under the heading of Residential Charging 3 pin), so does it apply only to the granny charger or all charging devices?
Is it just me not following the correct sequence? Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
There was a time, and it might still be the case, that you had to 'claim' PodPoint chargers at Tesco's and the like via the PodPoint app. You identify the charger you are plugged into within the app and then 'claim' the charge port you are using, typically and 'A' or 'B'. From memory, the car would start charging but would stop after 15 minutes if you didn't 'claim' the charge point.

There was a time, and it might still be the case, that you had to 'claim' PodPoint chargers at Tesco's and the like via the PodPoint app. You identify the charger you are plugged into within the app and then 'claim' the charge port you are using, typically and 'A' or 'B'. From memory, the car would start charging but would stop after 15 minutes if you didn't 'claim' the charge point.
This is still the case.
Register the post via the App, or the charge will automatically end in about 15 mins.

Does this mean that you can charge on a 22kW station using a 7kW cable?
No, the MG5 is max 7kw on AC. I know the Zoe can take a three phase 22kw charge.
A 7kw type 2 cable does not have connections on two of the pins.

She is now on her way home. The car has been on charge for 1hr 15mins and its increased to 61% from 26% on a 50kwh pod point, surely that's not right..... It normally charges 80% in an hour. What's going on???
35% of a 40kWh battery would be about 14kWh , so charging at about 11kW per hour.

I suggest fully charging it at home with a granny charger for a very long time and making sure it goes through the cell balancing procedure - there is a chance that might make a difference - can't do any harm .

This sounds like a supply/grid/charger issue more so then the EV. As some comments above have said some chargers often never reach anything like their nameplate capacity because the infrastructure (grid) feeding them isn't up to scratch. Happens everywhere around the world unfortunately although is improving.

Hi all, my wife is miles away from home. There are 3 possible fast chargers she can use, she's on only 15% now after travelling round to the chargers in our area. None of them will charge the car even though they all seem to be working.. Could it be a fault with the car? If so, any suggestions?
We had the same problem. Tried again the following day and all worked. A complete mystery! Doesn't inspire confidence does it. Couldn’t believe it worked the next day. Garage said there was no fault found. If you find out anything I’d like to know.

We had the same problem. Tried again the following day and all worked. A complete mystery! Doesn't inspire confidence does it. Couldn’t believe it worked the next day. Garage said there was no fault found. If you find out anything I’d like to know.
Sometimes it's easy to forget to follow the procedure, such as turning the car off before plugging in since you cannot hear an engine. A possibility ?

I always find it helps to make sure the car is in 'parked' before switching it off and then charging. And keep all doors closed until the charger has started

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom