Would you have purchased electric car

I am a new electric car driver, having had an Mg Zs Ev for a month now. I don't want this post to come across as a negative, but knowing what you know now about the Mg Zs Ev and electric cars in general, would you have still purchased it?
My opinion is, knowing things like not getting full range in winter, having to install fast charger because granny charger is so slow, the lack of regularly working charging points, ect, in hindsight i probably would have gone hybrid, instead of going headfirst from combustion engine to electric.
Doing your research thoroughly before is crucial (which i wish i did more of) to enjoying electric more at 1st impression.
On the flip side, im hopefull that come the summer when range will increase, and i can get to open the panoramic roof, i will enjoy the electric experience a lot more.
I love my ZS EV however I am too a bit wary now always battery checking, how many miles have I got left? That’s the only downfall I have range anxiety...the other day I roamed miles to find a quick rapid charger to no avail gave up 8n the end.
not sure my next one will be an all electric as I feel all deflated when I can’t find a charger it’s not like you can pop to the petrol station and fill up there really does need a hell of a lot of charging points and not just in the city centres but around the suburbs.

The charging infrastructure has a way to go i’m afraid. It does get better and you gain more confidence in your car the more you use it. EV users generally are a friendly and helpful bunch. Unless you have to cover large distances I would stick with it and see if you get more confident over time.

I love my ZS EV however I am too a bit wary now always battery checking, how many miles have I got left? That’s the only downfall I have range anxiety...the other day I roamed miles to find a quick rapid charger to no avail gave up 8n the end.
not sure my next one will be an all electric as I feel all deflated when I can’t find a charger it’s not like you can pop to the petrol station and fill up there really does need a hell of a lot of charging points and not just in the city centres but around the suburbs.
If you ever get stuck looking for a charging point, come on here and ask. There is always someone on here willing to help, who may know the area or who can look it up for you. There are more charging points where you are than you realise sometimes.

I definitely would, we’re absolutely over the moon with our MGZS Ev, we have a petrol ZS and its not a patch on the EV!
We also have MG ZS and MG ZS EV, really no difference except:

One has a range from full of 440 miles and the other 120 miles on a good day. If you drive the EV quickly, use a/c or heater even less range. One can be refilled on one of many convenient petrol stations (pay with a card) the other requires apps, RFID cards etc, locating a working charger not ICEd and taking an age to charge up. One of the cars can fill to a range of 440 miles in two minutes.

I bought my MG EV to test out the new technology however realistically, in the real world, the EV is not a patch on the petrol ZS.

Had our ZX 4 weeks now and well pleased. Forums tend to be places where problems are raised, I always ask does it apply to me? So far one point has been highlighted of concern and my local MG agent will sort it out in 10 days time. For the money the car is great value and an ideal car to launch oneself into the EV world. There are a lot of EV with similar or less range, the grass always looks greener on the other side!

My purchasing experience wasn't too great with Perry's of Preston, together with their after sales service.

Not saying it was all bad, but the dealer seemed to lack knowledge of the MG, wrong updates applied etc. but in all fairness, they had only been an MG Dealer for 1 month when I bought my car, so mechanics still in training which didn't help.

In the end I took out my Service Contract with Chorley Motors MG in Burnley who have been dealing with electric vehicles for several years and what a totally different experience, they sorted all the updates out and my problems went away with brilliant customer relations too.

Due to lockdown, since September, I still have only 714 miles on the clock and I am therefore looking forward to the day when I can drive a long distance and maybe take a trip to the Isle of Arran which we use to do quite often for a long weekend using the old ICE Car.

I am so looking forward to Wednesday of this week when I can take a 100 mile round trip to Burnley to get the latest update done at the dealer, which hopefully will be the last one until it goes for its first service in September.

Gets me out of the house and keeps me sane!

Andy (Blackpool)

The issues with updates going wrong is just on the ZS. I have an MG 5 and it hasnt missed a beat since we got it. The range is better than the ZS and it is still close to 190 miles in the weather we have been having up here in Scotland. Delighted with the car so far.

I am due to pick up my zs next week from Chorley MG. Have read all reports good,bad and not so bad, and really looking forward to driving it.

I've not really heard any negatives about the MG5 EV but plenty on the ZS which is one of the reasons I've ordered the MG5 from the Chorley group as they've had good reviews. So I've listened and read a lot as I cannot test drive any so I'm very excited to receive my MG5 in the next couple of weeks. Already signed up and downloaded the multiple apps for charging.

I think having an EV car is fairly new to everyone on the whole so I think knowledge is key here, quite an exciting time to get into it. The next dream is Solar panels and living a carbon free ish life.

I've done 2206 miles so far at a cost of less than £20 - in my ICE car that would cost about £600 in petrol to do the same mileage. The savings can be immense if you have access to free public charging like I do.

Those are excellent savings - your ICE car must have been a fuel guzzler! Thats around 20mpg by my calc 🙂

It was a 2002 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto. I leave it near the free charger in my village and then when I charge the MG I take it home. The Renault never gets up to temperature so does about 19MPG on these journeys.

I've just swapped it for 2008 Renault Koleos to tow a caravan with.
Had it a day and it ended up in the garage for 2 weeks so far with a failing high pressure common rail fuel pump. £800 😭

Oh dear. Massive savings though - thats a nice holiday!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom