X Power not liked by James and Kate

I think they went against all the positive aspects of the car to create a media frenzy, really deep down they wish that an XPower was in the stable at home.
MG4 voted car of the year in Australia and not just ev. ice as well.
I have owned a Porsche Boxster and the MG is just as much fun and I am not talking about xpower but excite 51 MG 4 .

MG 4 beat EV and ice to get car of the year .

Xpower best car i can afford with performance, boot space, and covers 98% of my driving use cases. 77 kWh I'd just be carting extra battery around for not much reason, charging at 140 kW or 110 average makes range not so much an issue. Coilovers and 245 semi slicks and you will probably corner on rails. Only think I would want is a long screen like the ionic and ..... real buttons, AC vents in the rear and ventilated seats. But now im being picky.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think having peoples opinion like this is a bad thing. Maybe some people identify well with them and think the things that annoy them would annoy themselves too or they agree on the points. or maybe they have already decided these focus on things that wouldn’t bother them. It’s your own mind to make up after all.
I’d rather have a bit of variety of opinion when looking up reviews on something than everyone gushing over it without really giving serious thought to it or glossing over details.
Just my 2c though.
An opinion is one thing, but a professional or an authority who reads the manual ( pull down hidden screen and turn off traction control) is another !

I think they went against all the positive aspects of the car to create a media frenzy, really deep down they wish that an XPower was in the stable at home.
MG4 voted car of the year in Australia and not just ev. ice as well.
I have owned a Porsche Boxster and the MG is just as much fun and I am not talking about xpower but excite 51 MG 4 .
I wonder if the competition pay people to do this lol

Back to getting one again now, after watching the PlanetAuto review. 🙂 Seriously though what chalk and cheese reviews. If you only watched J&K's review you definitely wouldn't get an X Power, probably the worst review of an XP I've seen. But if you only watched the PlanetAuto's review you'd be beating a path down to MG's door, right now. As Brettus says, nice to have varied opinions and they certainly are varied. Forums like this are a massive help, actual people owning the car on a daily basis not for a day or even a week. 🙂👍
Watch the PROFESSIONAL track driver and drag race reviews on youtube !😊👍 especially against the BMWi7

As they say "you can't please all of the people all of the time, only some of the people, some of the time" or something like that 😅
I think they’re in this forum by mistake 😝

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they went against all the positive aspects of the car to create a media frenzy, really deep down ....

I think they just used it for school runs and popping to the shops without really giving it a proper enthusiastic drive. None of there comments come from driving it 10/10ths IMHO

What a crap review … worst I’ve watched …. he contradicts himself so many times it’s unbelievable 😂😂. All the pet hates he lists are applicable to all the MG4 range and he doesn’t even mention the extra motor and all wheel drive, stiffer suspension, 18 inch alloy wheels, upgraded brakes, torque vectoring. First, he says it costs more than the standard model, but omits to say it has all the additional extras. Then near the end, he accepts it is great value under £40,000 for the performance. His main gripe is the handling, however, many other reviewers have taken it on a track and said it was very good. He can stick to that Caprice he loves 😁😁 …. Yeah that Caprice does make no sense to own as a practical everyday car !!!

What a crap review … worst I’ve watched …. he contradicts himself so many times it’s unbelievable 😂😂. All the pet hates he lists are applicable to all the MG4 range and he doesn’t even mention the extra motor and all wheel drive, stiffer suspension, 18 inch alloy wheels, upgraded brakes, torque vectoring. First, he says it costs more than the standard model, but omits to say it has all the additional extras. Then near the end, he accepts it is great value under £40,000 for the performance. His main gripe is the handling, however, many other reviewers have taken it on a track and said it was very good. He can stick to that Caprice he loves 😁😁 …. Yeah that Caprice does make no sense to own as a practical everyday car !!!
Totally agree with you. I like Fully Charged and have watched many vids and been to a number of live events, but he just wants to be a comedian who reviews cars. Robert Llewellyn gave a much better review of the standard MG4 and a follow-up vid. Yes we know it has some niggles but at least get the facts correct when putting the text on-screen. We all know you can change driving mode via the steering wheel button and not "buried in a menu". Basic stuff really just for the clicks. Wouldn't be so bad if he said "in my opinion...it doesn't handle well in corners/is not fun to drive". Many other reviewers and the general public like us lot think it's a good car. I bloody love going out for a drive in the Xpower and I probably haven't got anywhere near to driving on the limit, but it's still exciting whether that be from standstill, overtaking, taking some fast bends or just day to day stuff.

His brain needs a recharge ... it's out of power.

🤣 Well said @JonnyG

Well I've just watched it again and I'm pretty sure, he in no way whatsoever, explores the handling capabilities of that car?
So how he can comment on that aspect is beyond me.

Normal roads? Sane speeds?
Then I find the handling is extremely well judged for our potholed British Roads.

Only when you are pushing on can you feel the weight start to get involved, but a quick flick to Sport, engages the 4WD, and quite mind boggling feats of grip and control are realised.

It's a very rewarding package in my opinion.
I Love driving it.

Nothing with this much performance will ever grow old.

And the best bit?
It does so very well, just the business of being a car.

I wonder what car that James & Katy actually paid out cash for ?
That’s an easy one, they have a Tesla model 3 which in fairness, he has been critical of some aspects of the build quality.
So definitely not a Tesla boy.
This workhorse is MG5 which is fully kitted out as a mobile workshop for EV’s.
He has done a couple of reviews on the MG5 and given detailed feed back on how it has performed over the 80,000 miles that it has covered.
So, it’s fair to say that he is not against MG’s at all, it fact he has probably helped them sell a few more cars as a direct result of his positive comments.
I found his review of the X Power to be very positive overall, but he did not like the tyre choice of Bridgestones and stated that a better tyre choice would benefit both the traction and the handling.
James is accustomed to driving performance cars and has a high powered motorcycle himself.
He also has tested some of the powerful EV motorcycles that are stupid fast.
Also he was concerned about noise being omitted from the rear of the X Power which others have also noticed.
Some reviewers have many many EV’s to test drive.
They may spend half or all day, behind the wheel of one car and then quickly move on to the next one.
On the other hand, James spends his time not only repairing many different types of EV’s he is behind the wheel of one himself, 5 days a week covering hundreds and hundreds of miles.
To this end, I personally value his knowledge and experience when it comes to EV’s.
He has probably forgotten more about EV’s than many of us will ever know.
If we all liked the same things, we would all driving the same cars !.
Horses for courses I guess 👍.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom