X Power not liked by James and Kate

That’s easy one, they have a Tesla model 3 which in fairness, he has been critical of some aspects of the build quality.
So definitely not a Tesla boy.
This workhorse is MG5 which is fully kitted out as a mobile workshop for EV’s.
He has done a couple of reviews on the MG5 and given detailed feed back on how it has performed over the 80,000 miles that it has covered.
So, it’s fair to say that is not against MG’s at all, it fact he has probably helped them sell a few more cars as a result.
I found his review of the X Power to be very positive overall, but he did not like the tyre choice of Bridgestones and stated that a better tyre choice would benefit the handling.
Also he was concerned about noise being omitted from the rear, which others have noticed.
Some reviewers have many many EV’s to test drive.
That may spend half or all day in a car and then move on to the next one.
On the other hand James spends his time not only repairing many different types of EV’s he is behind the wheel of one 5 days a week, covering hundreds and hundreds of miles.
To this end, I personally value his knowledge and experience when it comes to EV’s.
He has probably forgotten more about EV’s than many of us will ever learn.
If we all liked the same things, we would all driving the same cars !.
Horses for courses I guess 👍.

How does the saying go Mmm Got it in one.
I totally agree👍👍👍.
Les

Last edited:
How does the saying go Mmm Got in one.
I totally agree👍👍👍
I’ve never even sat in any of the MG4 models so I can’t comment on anything other than the looks etc. So many of you folks on here seem more than pleased with many aspects of the cars so allowing for a few gremlins just like most other cars, they appear to be fine machines to own and drive. I particularly follow the stories about the shorter range model with the alternative chemistry battery and of course the intriguing Xpower. The one thing a few have said that I agree with is the controversial shape of the rear of the car. Personally I don’t like it but I look forward to the possibility of an estate version which I might like better. I bought a Skoda Fabia for my late wife. Neither of us liked the hatchback model but absolutely loved the estate which to our eyes was so much neater and “right” looking. They ruined the follow up version in our eyes but as someone once said “Each to their own “
So, for me, MG - a 4x4 twin motor large battery non vibrational estate with preferably alloy undertrays please 😜

Another Fully Charged review. In short, he neither likes it nor recommends it.

Going by this review the Sierra Cosworth, Golf GTI, and all the other cars that have sensible stable mates should never have been made. Not to mention all the Lambos, Ferraris etc that are very expensive and not very practical. For those of us who do enjoy cars for the fun of driving I am glad MG made the XPower version of the MG4.

That’s an easy one, they have a Tesla model 3 which in fairness, he has been critical of some aspects of the build quality.
So definitely not a Tesla boy.
This workhorse is MG5 which is fully kitted out as a mobile workshop for EV’s.
He has done a couple of reviews on the MG5 and given detailed feed back on how it has performed over the 80,000 miles that it has covered.
So, it’s fair to say that he is not against MG’s at all, it fact he has probably helped them sell a few more cars as a direct result of his positive comments.
I found his review of the X Power to be very positive overall, but he did not like the tyre choice of Bridgestones and stated that a better tyre choice would benefit both the traction and the handling.
James is accustomed to driving performance cars and has a high powered motorcycle himself.
He also has tested some of the powerful EV motorcycles that are stupid fast.
Also he was concerned about noise being omitted from the rear of the X Power which others have also noticed.
Some reviewers have many many EV’s to test drive.
They may spend half or all day, behind the wheel of one car and then quickly move on to the next one.
On the other hand, James spends his time not only repairing many different types of EV’s he is behind the wheel of one himself, 5 days a week covering hundreds and hundreds of miles.
To this end, I personally value his knowledge and experience when it comes to EV’s.
He has probably forgotten more about EV’s than many of us will ever know.
If we all liked the same things, we would all driving the same cars !.
Horses for courses I guess 👍.
You’re not his dad or uncle? Just wondering how qualified he is driving powerful machinery as you say , I think midwives cover more miles than him , I drive my MG 4 up and down Macquarie pass NSW Australia nearly every day just wondering if he has roads like this on his daily commute. Google it .

Last edited by a moderator:
You’re not his dad or uncle? Just wondering how qualified he is driving powerful machinery as you say , I think midwives cover more miles than him , I drive my MG 4 up and down Macquarie pass NSW Australia nearly every day just wondering if he has roads like this on his daily commute Google it .
Really - I mean come on !.
No I am not related to James in any way shape or form.
I just like to do some detailed back ground research first, before passing judgement on a single review myself.
Maybe 🤔 a good suggestion 👍.
James ( like myself ) is resident of the U.K. and of course, we are not living in a vast country the size of NSW !.
Covering 80,000 miles maybe a quick lap around the block down under for your mid wives as you put it, but in the U.K. that is a lot of miles covered in petrol car in only a couple of years, never mind in a full EV.
The average milage covered by most people in the U.K. is only about 7 - 8,000 miles per year.
So tell me, do you own a MG X Power yourself then ?.
If so, maybe the forum would benefit from hearing about YOUR thoughts / feedback and comments when driving this model yourself then ?.
Maybe you could take the time to please share your experience of the car and then expand on your qualifications on driving performance cars as a comparison.
Forum members will then have the opportunity to take a well balanced view of both your opinions of the X Power and then compare them to the observations made by Jame’s ?.
He also has the increased benefit of evaluating the car from the aspect of being a fully qualified EV tech as well.
Do you also possess this set of skills yourself?
I am clearly in no position myself to pass on any opinions of the MG4 range, as I have never sat behind the wheel of the car.

Really - I mean come on !.
No I am not related to James in any way shape or form.
I just like to do some detailed back ground research first, before passing judgement on a single review myself.
Maybe 🤔 a good suggestion 👍.
James ( like myself ) is resident of the U.K. and of course, we are not living in a vast country the size of NSW !.
Covering 80,000 miles maybe a quick lap around the block down under for your mid wives as you put it, but in the U.K. that is a lot of miles covered in petrol car in only a couple of years, never mind in a full EV.
The average milage covered by most people in the U.K. is only about 7 - 8,000 miles per year.
So tell me, do you own a MG X Power yourself then ?.
If so, maybe the forum would benefit from hearing about YOUR thoughts / feedback and comments when driving this model yourself then ?.
Maybe you could take the time to please share your experience of the car and then expand on your qualifications on driving performance cars as a comparison.
Forum members will then have the opportunity to take a well balanced view of both your opinions of the X Power and then compare them to the observations made by Jame’s ?.
He also has the increased benefit of evaluating the car from the aspect of being a fully qualified EV tech as well.
Do you also possess this set of skills yourself?
I am clearly in no position myself to pass on any opinions of the MG4 range, as I have never sat behind the wheel of the car.
No x power only MG 4 excite , x power not available when I bought my car , as a side note MG 4 was voted car of the year by carsales in Oz . My skill is Pilot Cessna and beachcraft endorsed plus , vehicle inspector for NSW gov heavy vehicle accident investigation ,driver training by Tasmania police. Yes I have fanged cars with light and siren.

No x power only MG 4 excite , x power not available when I bought my car , as a side note MG 4 was voted car of the year by carsales in Oz . My skill is Pilot Cessna and beachcraft endorsed plus , vehicle inspector for NSW gov heavy vehicle accident investigation ,driver training by Tasmania police. Yes I have fanged cars with light and siren.
Thank for sharing your experience of the MG4 excite, which James thought was his preferred option.
I hope you get the opportunity to test a X Power and you can report back on your personal experiences.

As far as I know James is just an ordinary bloke who does a huge mileage (for the UK) due to his use of EVs for work.

It is useful to hear from people who are far ahead on the mileage curve.

However, that doesn't make him an expert car reviewer.
I never suggested it did Tom TBH.
Let’s not loss site of the fact that these are only personal opinions here.
This why we see some reviews who love a car and some don’t .

I think the only reveiw that’s worth its salt is my own review when I drive the car.

The so called professional in the motor trade only give their opinion: some like speed, some range, others practicality of the vehicles they have been chosen to drive. So when I drive a car for the first time I form my own opinions about what’s right for me and couldn’t care less about theirs to be honest.
Les

I find reviews useful to point out things about the car that I may or may not know and may or may not consider a good feature or a problem. I make up my own mind what I think.

I don't listen to their comments on driving dynamics. I have found you get polar opposite views so I need to test drive myself to decide what I think.

Generally if most of them rave about something, it is good, if most of them pan it, it is bad, but even then the opinion that matters is your own.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom