JustAnotherMidlifeCrisis

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Don't know about you but I couldn't give a monkey's about where this particularly sterile debate ends up. It is or isn't a hot hatch depending on your chosen definition. That's all.

And if the essence of a hot hatch is that it corners well at speed, fine but my question is then: how much time does anyone actually spend cornering at speed? Speaking for myself, almost zero. But accelerating in a broadly straight line? Loads.

So many trade reviews. So much wasted ink...

Totally agree - it's a fast practical 5dr hatchback that will gap much more exotic and expensive machinery on a quarter mile sprint. The fact that it is an EV with AWD is bound to affect the "chuckability" so many reviewers crave around the twisties or on a track.

The same type of reviewers also slagged off the older 8V RS3 and Golf R for being too "boring" and "numb" on a track and around the twisties.

For an average owner who does'nt want to do track days you can't beat the all round ability of these types of cars IMHO. Practical every day hatchbacks with lots of power when needed that feel totally planted to the road in all condions with their AWD.

I know one reviewer who did a Golf R comparison test (where it did'nt fair that well) admitted that on the long and wet journey back from the test everyone wanted the AWD Golf R !!.

As the owner of a proper hot hatch I'd struggle to see it in that way but it's a great car nevertheless.

Well in my opinion, it is definitely HOT.

Oh, and did I mention, it has a Hatch.

Nah, not Hot, positively Scorching.

Try one.👍
I’ve driven one, looking likely I’ll get one, but it’s not in the hot hatch category for me.
Driving dynamics define a “proper” hot hatch, not big engines or big power.
Also the purist in me says a hot hatch should have 2 less doors.

Having been spoiled by Renaultsports finest over the years, the XPower wouldn’t come anywhere near to touching those cars as far as driving enjoyment is concerned, even though it would leave them for dead.

I’ve driven one, looking likely I’ll get one, but it’s not in the hot hatch category for me.
Driving dynamics define a “proper” hot hatch, not big engines or big power.
Also the purist in me says a hot hatch should have 2 less doors.

Having been spoiled by Renaultsports finest over the years, the XPower wouldn’t come anywhere near to touching those cars as far as driving enjoyment is concerned, even though it would leave them for dead.
Agree with you (almost!) completely pal to be honest!
There is plenty of driving enjoyment on offer with this car, and coming from my last vehicle, 2.5 tons of Lardy Etron, this is definitely a hot hatch to me (even with the extra doors 🤣👍😘)

Oooo, that took me back to being a young sprog on my gun crew......
Being Shouted at.....
"HOW ABOUT SHUTTING THE TOP FUSSING HATCH INSTEAD OF LETTING ALL THE FUSSING RAIN IN!"

Perfectly reasonable request now, looking back on it 👍

Last edited:
Prepare to be moderated, I was yesterday 🤣 i.e. the f word suggest you change the remaining letters to symbols👍

Aww come on mods, were all grown ups here (aren't we???)
I could change is to fussing?👍😘

I've changed it.🤣

I wonder what they might say to the noobs now......

"Oh excuse me GNR Searle, would you mind awfully, closing the Top Hatch as It would appear that the precipitation is indeed joining us within the confines of the vehicle. Much Obliged"

Last edited:
Aww come on mods, were all grown ups here (aren't we???)
I could change is to fussing?👍😘

I've changed it.🤣

I wonder what they might say to the noobs now......

"Oh excuse me GNR Searle, would you mind awfully, closing the Top Hatch as It would appear that the precipitation is indeed joining us within the confines of the vehicle. Much Obliged"
Presumably you'd have the option to go and lie down if you didn't feel up to being in a confined space.

Presumably you'd have the option to go and lie down if you didn't feel up to being in a confined space.
Do you know what tsedge, I don't seem to remember them being completely attuned to my needs and wants during the early days of my service 🤣🤣🤣
(Mid 80s)

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom