XPower charging cable

......All my charging is done at my local Tesla Superchargers as I cant reliably charge at home. (Off grid, solar only)......
I'm going to have to do my first fast DC charge soon, most likely at a Tesla Supercharger site open to all EV's. Could you provide a very quick step by step guide please ? I've got the Tesla App but not sure how to get things started for the first time ! (i.e do you just follow the Tesla app and do nothing with the car screen/app ? and how do you pay etc. for what will be a one off charge around four times a year ?). TIA.

I'm going to have to do my first fast DC charge soon, most likely at a Tesla Supercharger site open to all EV's. Could you provide a very quick step by step guide please ? I've got the Tesla App but not sure how to get things started for the first time ! (i.e do you just follow the Tesla app and do nothing with the car screen/app ? and how do you pay etc. for what will be a one off charge around four times a year ?). TIA.
OK M8,
So make sure your account has a payment method set up.
Reverse up to charger.
Open app.
Tap on Charge your non Tesla.
It will bring up the map with your location.
The red icon with the number in it tells you how many chargers are available.
(I like to get my wife to do this just before we arrive to double check there are places available)
Look down the page and tap Charge Here.
The start charging page comes up.
Get out, open flap and plug in.
(Car on or off doesn't matter, but I just put mine in park and get out with my phone)
Select post number (1A 1B 1C etc)
Then Tap Start Charge.
Might take anything up to 30 seconds to start.
Sometimes we get a MaccyDs and eat that whilst charging, or we will swan off and get a Costa in the town.

Keep an eye on the app and get back just before the charge ends.
There is talk of £1 per minute Idle fees but I have never been charged and I was back 15 minutes late once.
£10:99 per month membership (I think) and charge outside of peak and enjoy 36p/kWh👍
I saw up to 136 KW, charging speed today, but that will slow down as the charge nears completion. Plenty of time for a coffee etc.
20 to 90% circa 30 minutes today (don't quote me, but we weren't there too long).
You don't have to tell your car to do anything, it will just start charging after a few moments.
But do go on your charging screen to select what you want.
80% for battery health/longevity
90 -100% for a long journey.
You do not have to wait til the end, you can stop at anytime if you need to get off.
I always ask for 90% as it's about 80% by the time I get home.

So in summary.....

Reverse Up.
Plug In
Select Post Number.
Tap Start Charge.

20231005_183742.jpg
Screenshot_20231005_232631_Tesla.jpg
Screenshot_20231005_233446_Tesla.jpg
Screenshot_20231005_231507_Tesla.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting how the brochure shows 7kW as the max AC charge rate but these 2 websites say the car can charge at up to 11kW AC. Anyone tried public AC charging on a 3 phase charger?

It doesn't look like they have updated the cars specifications. The first batch of Trophys and I think SE LRs can charge at 11kW AC but the later ones are only 7kW AC.

Hi, for a first charge I would use something like a Podpoint, Osprey or Instavolt. You only need to add a few kw's just to test the process.

Hi, for a first charge I would use something like a Podpoint, Osprey or Instavolt. You only need to add a few kw's just to test the process.
Don't see the point in testing the process?
You might as well charge it up fully.
Won't be there long especially if using a Tesla Supercharger.

Don't see the point in testing the process?
You might as well charge it up fully.
Won't be there long especially if using a Tesla Supercharger.
Oh and be prepared for a chat about your car, I've had several conversations with other ev owners at the charge point about my car.

It doesn't look like they have updated the cars specifications. The first batch of Trophys and I think SE LRs can charge at 11kW AC but the later ones are only 7kW AC.
Thanks for this I should have just searched the forum as I can now see this has been discussed before and the easy way to find out if the car has 3 phase AC capability is to see how many pins are in the connector

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom