Xpower - new car protection for matt green paint

JustAnotherMidlifeCrisis

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
The dealer recommended that I apply Diamondbrite when the car arrives and of course offered to do this for a fee. I queried whether this would mean (a) polishing the car and (b) anyway leaving it with a gloss finish. The dealer responded ‘er, fair point, we’ll take that back to MG’.

A web search suggests SiRamik do a ceramic coating product for matt finishes that gives you all the benefit of ceramic protection while leaving the car matt.

Anyone else looked at options for a green Xpower?

Cheers.

Have a look here m8.

Have a look here m8.

Thanks

But I am not sure if GardX ceramic protection requires any different care than matte paint?

I actually replied to the OP with two links to previous threads about this topic, and I have no idea what happened to that. Maybe I didn't actually hit "post reply"!

Anyway, this is the other one.

I actually replied to the OP with two links to previous threads about this topic, and I have no idea what happened to that. Maybe I didn't actually hit "post reply"!

Anyway, this is the other one.

No, you did Rolfe!
I saw it???

Maybe I posted it in the wrong thread?

Ah, yes, I think that's it. This is actually the thread I just linked to, an earlier thread which has probably been bumped because I linked to it! My reply was in the most recent thread, where it probably still is, but it has slipped down the forum a bit.

Sorry for my confusion, as you were.

You posted here:

Yeah, I've just realised that. Apologies for my terminal confusion. Maybe I should have merged the threads but I thought they were a bit different. Someone has bumped one of the earlier ones and I got confused.

As you were!

perhaps but it is matt green paint (aka white/cream carpets in your home) - once you have a formula then great, but until don't bother?

I have chosen a detailer to give my green XPower the ceramic treatment when it arrives. If anyone is interested I'll paste his suggested product here.

Actually I don't have it on e-mail. Scribbled it on my office whiteboard which I won't see for another two weeks. Will revert!

Last edited:
Please do. Thanks
That process is going to be for a car thats not had any treatment applied by the dealer. If you have already had GardX applied by a dealer you need to make sure it was specifically for a matte finish. If thats the case, then use a matte wash/treatment of your choice. A number out there, as was discussed in the links provided.

That process is going to be for a car thats not had any treatment applied by the dealer. If you have already had GardX applied by a dealer you need to make sure it was specifically for a matte finish. If thats the case, then use a matte wash/treatment of your choice. A number out there, as was discussed in the links provided.
The GardX MX2 MATTE PAINT PROTECTION was applied by the dealer.

So, will use matte finish products. Thanks

OK I think I've now nailed this and that Gtechniq C1 plus EXO v5 is the way to go.

In this video he uses EXO v4 on a matte VW and shows the results. The car remains matte!:

He notes that EXO v4 is marked on the box as safe for matte and satin paintwork. The box for the new EXO v5 carries the same safety confirmation:

1000007435.jpg

Someone in the comments below the video asks why he didn't use Gtechniq C1 topped with EXO, as opposed to two layers of EXO. He replies that C1 plus EXO also works but he was trying to keep things simple:

1000007430.jpg

And Gtechniq's own FAQs recommend C1 plus EXO as the best treatment for matte paintwork:

1000007422.jpg

I have therefore asked my detailer to apply C1 then EXO v5.

Well worth doing and looks great 👍

If you have any questions on maintenance etc. I can recommnend joining the Detailing World Gtechniq forum for answers. I've learnt loads from there in the past.

What are people using for general home cleaning? I was thinking snow foam followed by low-pressure hosing with water and gentle microfibre cloth work to remove anything stubborn.

I haven't cleaned my car before - never had to, to be honest - but times is hard.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom