Your car not registered for software updates on MG4

MGEvieNewOna

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I am just wondering if any other MG3/4 or 5 owners have encountered this issue with the Infotainment system and performing the software updates.

This is found under the Vehicle menu > Settings > System > Upgrade > Detect New Versions > warning error states "Your car not registered, please contact after sales for more information"

Software_Update.jpg

I have contacted MG Australia on 1800 MG CARS (1800 642 277), who advised me to contact my dealer where I purchased the car. I contacted the dealer and they put me through to both Service and Sales, either of whom had any idea how to register the car for these updates or how to do them.

Hoping someone will have come across this issue before and can point me in the right direction.

Regards,
MGEvie_NewOna

Thanks tsedge... appreciate the response, fingers crossed...!

The first Scheduled Dealer Service is at 40,000kms, which for me is two years of driving. I'd hope there would be a software update for the Infotainment System before then lol...

Raised the issue of the drive mode default settings with MG Australia yesterday and received this quite encouragingly positive response from them:

******************************************************************************************************
Hi Steven,

We hope this email finds you well. We wanted to express our sincere gratitude for reaching out to MG Australia and providing feedback regarding the default driver mode setting in the MG4.

Your input is highly valuable to us, and we want to assure you that we take your feedback seriously. This along with all other feedbacks regarding the default drive mode have been forwarded to our technical team, who will carefully consider them for potential enhancements in future software updates. Your insights play a crucial role in helping us improve our products and provide a better experience to our customers.

We appreciate your trust in MG Australia and your willingness to share your thoughts with us. If you have any more feedbacks or questions in the future, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

We are here to listen and make your MG experience even more enjoyable.

Thank you once again for being part of MG Australia community, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Kind Regards,
Timmy Soe
Customer Care

MG Motor Australia
Web: www.mgmotor.com.au
*******************************************************************************************************

They won't actually do anything (as any update decisions rest with SAIC in China, not people within the local country), but at least they're trying to be positive. (I don't know if that's better than how MG UK respond or not - MG UK think we customers are a burden not an opportunity). :)

Siteguru, never underestimate people power lol :)

I am still encouraging all MG owners who feel the same frustration as I do with this particular issue, to provide feedback to MG Australia via their Contact Us/Feedback form on the website below:

MG Motor Australia

The more MG owners that provide similar feedback, the more likely they are to change their stance and rectify this issue whoever it lies with in the end.

I do appreciate the responses, it's validating to know that I am not a lone wolf when it comes to my frustration from this feature decision point of view by MG.

To be clear there have been quite a number of infotainment updates in the last year, but all of them require a dealer visit to be installed (USB key or via ODB2).

In addition, dealers are not paid by MG to do these updates unless they are for a warranty issue, so typically people are only getting these updates when they complain about an issue. Some dealers are swallowing the cost and doing updates anyway, but I think that is rarer.

So if you want some updates before your first service, you'll need to:
  • Make a warranty claim on a problem/bug you have.
  • Find a dealer who will do them for free.
  • Pay your dealer for the updates.

I don't mind paying for updates, if they fix the frustrating issue with drive mode defaults, fix problems/software bugs or provide additional features. But thanks for letting me know, its useful information for those just getting into the MG Electric range for the first time.

Mine was in for updates recently (it was one of the Australia spec ones delivered without One Pedal Driving) and the infotainment module version didn’t change at all.

If there’s an update coming, they might think they’ve got some breathing room before people hit the first service.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 522 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back