Zappi 2 Eco+ problems with ZS EV

Satal

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I've had an MG ZS EV since November, one of the newer models. I think it's commonly referred to as an mk2. I also have a Zappi 2 (untethered, though I don't think this makes a difference).

I've been happily using the Zappi to charge the car overnight. However, now that we are starting to get some sunshine during the day, I'm getting enough excess solar (>1.4kW) to do a bit of charging from that.

I have the Zappi set up on Eco+ at 100% Green which I believe that it should only charge when the solar is producing excess, which I can see the excess being exported in the myenergi app.

The problem I'm having is that my MG won't automatically start charging when the Zappi sees excess being exported (over 2kW of excess for over the 30-second wait time). I need to start the charging manually in the iSmart app.

Even when I have manually started this through the iSmart app, the MG will stop charging after a short while (5-10 minutes), however, I'm assuming that might be caused by the excess briefly due to a cloud or me putting the kettle on. If I go back into the iSmart app and start charging again, it works fine until the next time it stops.

For the avoidance of doubt, the Zappi charge is unlocked for all of this, I made that mistake a couple of times when I first got the car.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problems getting Eco+ charging working, and if so, whether they were able to get it to work?

I think I've seen on here, talking about the Mk1s needing a firmware update for the car for this to work but I haven't seen anything about this for the Mk2.

Thank you for any help or advice anyone is able to provide.

And you definitely have all timers off on the car?
And nowhere near charge limit?

I've had an MG ZS EV since November, one of the newer models. I think it's commonly referred to as an mk2. I also have a Zappi 2 (untethered, though I don't think this makes a difference).

I've been happily using the Zappi to charge the car overnight. However, now that we are starting to get some sunshine during the day, I'm getting enough excess solar (>1.4kW) to do a bit of charging from that.

I have the Zappi set up on Eco+ at 100% Green which I believe that it should only charge when the solar is producing excess, which I can see the excess being exported in the myenergi app.

The problem I'm having is that my MG won't automatically start charging when the Zappi sees excess being exported (over 2kW of excess for over the 30-second wait time). I need to start the charging manually in the iSmart app.

Even when I have manually started this through the iSmart app, the MG will stop charging after a short while (5-10 minutes), however, I'm assuming that might be caused by the excess briefly due to a cloud or me putting the kettle on. If I go back into the iSmart app and start charging again, it works fine until the next time it stops.

For the avoidance of doubt, the Zappi charge is unlocked for all of this, I made that mistake a couple of times when I first got the car.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problems getting Eco+ charging working, and if so, whether they were able to get it to work?

I think I've seen on here, talking about the Mk1s needing a firmware update for the car for this to work but I haven't seen anything about this for the Mk2.

Thank you for any help or advice anyone is able to provide.
I find exactly this with my MG4. I find I have to change to eco rather than eco+ until charging starts, then switch it back to eco+ then charging continues when there's sufficient surplus

I had an issue with my Zappi this morning, It didn't charge over night. I tried it is Fast mode to get a bit of charge in it before i wen tout but it would only draw about 3kW and that was from the house battery not the grid. I have not changed any settings

I hadn't thought about the scheduled charging times. I did have one set for overnight charging that I had forgotten about. I've turned it off but now the sun has gone down so I won't be able to test until tomorrow (weather permitting) but that sounds promising.

The car is at 30% so plenty of space before charge limit.

I find exactly this with my MG4. I find I have to change to eco rather than eco+ until charging starts, then switch it back to eco+ then charging continues when there's sufficient surplus
OK, that'll be a shame if that's the answer but definitely better than having to keep starting it over and over again. I'll give this a try tomorrow too!

I had an issue with my Zappi this morning, It didn't charge over night. I tried it is Fast mode to get a bit of charge in it before i wen tout but it would only draw about 3kW and that was from the house battery not the grid. I have not changed any settings
That doesn't sound ideal. I'd definitely look to not pull from the battery but that's why I'm counting on just using the excess from the solar panels.

Is it not limited from the house battery?
Given this is meant to be using the excess once the house battery is full I'm not sure how it would be. Is there something I'm missing with this?

So, I've got a couple ideas from you all and hopefully there will be adequate sunshine tomorrow for me to test it out! Thank you all for the ideas so far, I'll update tomorrow, even if it's just to say its raining :p

I'll update tomorrow, even if it's just to say its raining :p
Well not quite raining but not enough sunshine to produce excess. Tomorrow is looking better though

Well it looks like turning off the schedule has worked, a little annoyed at myself for not having thought of that beforehand but hopefully this thread will help anyone else making the same silly mistake :)

Thanks again all for your suggestions

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom