Zappi charged delayed

Harves

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Can anyone tell me why when I plug my zappi charger into my mg5 long range after a couple of minutes it stops charging and displays charge delayed , I’ve had this car about 3 weeks now and had nothing but problems when charging ,my last mg5 was the shorter range one and never had a problem charging it

Is the car or the Zappi controlling the charge?
Here’s where I get embarrassed simply put I don’t know what you mean, I’m with octopus on octopus go tariff with my last mg5 I used to finish work( I’m a taxi driver) plug the car in leave it and the car would charge between 0030-0430 the times are set on the zappi ,as I say this is the long range mg5 and it doesn’t matter what setting I select ie fast, eco or eco+ the most it will charge is 16 to 17 kWh the the zappi displays charged delayed . Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
@Harves

Which "version" of the MG5 do you now have, the pre-facelift or the facelift?

I'm going to guess you previously had the pre, which doesn't have any control over charging settings in the car itself, but now have the facelift which does!

If yours is a facelift, you need to check somewhere in the menu settings and find the one that, as I understand it, turns off any control the car has of your charging. Leave it all to the Zappi!

One important caveat: I have the pre-facelift so my knowledge of this problem is entirely what I have gleaned from other posts in this forum!

Are the settings on your Zappi similar to these?
Screenshot_20240327_153121_myenergi.jpg

Last edited:
@Harves

Which "version" of the MG5 do you now have, the pre-facelift or the facelift?

I'm going to guess you previously had the pre, which doesn't have any control over charging settings in the car itself, but now have the facelift which does!

If yours is a facelift, you need to check somewhere in the menu settings and find the one that, as I understand it, turns off any control the car has of your charging. Leave it all to the Zappi!

One important caveat: I have the pre-facelift so my knowledge of this problem is entirely what I have gleaned from other posts in this forum!
Thanks very much for replying sorry for the delay in responding but I’ve been to work. My mg5 is the long range pre-facelift model and I can’t seem to find anything on the car that relates to charging I tried charging on the octopus cheap rate last night I set the zappi to eco+ for 0030-0430 but it only put 5kWh in and displayed charge delayed again I had 40% battery when I plugged it in.
So whe I got up this morning i set the zappi to fast and low and behold it charge the car but stopped at 80% and showing the charge was complete this is better than the day before when it would only put 16kWh in before the charge delayed was displayed, the problem I’ve got is I don’t know if it’s the car or the charger, the sparky that fitted the zappi doesn’t seem interested I’ve left messages on his answering machine but no reply ill call the dealer on Tuesday to see if they can help . Thanks again for your help if you have any other advice I would be very grateful

Are the setton your Zappi similar to these?View attachment 25240
Yes mate that is the same on my app but what it says on the app is not what’s happening on the charger. Thanks for taking an interest any advice would be really appreciated

I can’t seem to find anything on the car that relates to charging

I agree, I don't believe there is anything!

In which case, I think you need to first establish whether the Zappi is working "properly". Do you ahve a friend/neighbour/relative with an EV (any model) that you could invite to come and test your charger? Simply plugging in for a few minutes, or perhaps longer, should indicate whether it is the Zappi that has a problem delivering a consistent and continuous charge.

If the same problem occurs for this third-party user, you need to "inform" your installer that the unit has a fault and that he is required, under Consumer Law, to come and "sort it"!

If the third-party vehicle charges without problem you need to go back to the supplying dealer and make very clear that your car is NOT "working as it should" and the dealer must investigate what is "wrong".

One other thought: do you have a Granny Charger which you could plug in to the car and see whether the (admittedly rather slow) charge proceeds without error?

I agree, I don't believe there is anything!

In which case, I think you need to first establish whether the Zappi is working "properly". Do you ahve a friend/neighbour/relative with an EV (any model) that you could invite to come and test your charger? Simply plugging in for a few minutes, or perhaps longer, should indicate whether it is the Zappi that has a problem delivering a consistent and continuous charge.

If the same problem occurs for this third-party user, you need to "inform" your installer that the unit has a fault and that he is required, under Consumer Law, to come and "sort it"!

If the third-party vehicle charges without problem you need to go back to the supplying dealer and make very clear that your car is NOT "working as it should" and the dealer must investigate what is "wrong".

One other thought: do you have a Granny Charger which you could plug in to the car and see whether the (admittedly rather slow) charge proceeds without error?
Since I’ve come back from work I’ve tried to charge it on fast setting now it displays with pilot problem I haven’t got a clue what pilot problem is, I’m trying to find out more on the net but I must admit I find it very hard when I haven’t got a clue

Since I’ve come back from work I’ve tried to charge it on fast setting now it displays with pilot problem I haven’t got a clue what pilot problem is, I’m trying to find out more on the net but I must admit I find it very hard when I haven’t got a clue
Sorry I didn’t explain I don’t know anyone who has a electric car

Sorry I didn’t explain I don’t know anyone who has a electric car
I am going to try the granny charger. Great idea thanks

Are you in the UK and is the charger a recent model that's less than 12 months old, or one with a very recent software update?

The government bought in new laws that are now in force. These laws mean that home chargers have to wait a random amount of time from you (or Octopus) pressing 'go' and the car actually starting to charge. This is to avoid the risks caused by malicious actors. I believe it's up to 10 or 15 minutes delay, but should typically be less than 5 minutes.

How long is your delay? You should be able to see the power consumption jump in either the Octopus app or the Zappi app.

EDIT
I also just realised that you've set the charge schedule for 0030-0430, which is only 4 hours. The car will take around 7 hours to fully charge on a normal 7kW home charger. It'll take around 30 hours on the granny charger. Try increasing your schedule to allow for more hours!

Are you in the UK and is the charger a recent model that's less than 12 months old, or one with a very recent software update?

The government bought in new laws that are now in force. These laws mean that home chargers have to wait a random amount of time from you (or Octopus) pressing 'go' and the car actually starting to charge. This is to avoid the risks caused by malicious actors. I believe it's up to 10 or 15 minutes delay, but should typically be less than 5 minutes.

How long is your delay? You should be able to see the power consumption jump in either the Octopus app or the Zappi app.

EDIT
I also just realised that you've set the charge schedule for 0030-0430, which is only 4 hours. The car will take around 7 hours to fully charge on a normal 7kw home charger. It'll take around 30 hours on the granny charger. Try increasing your schedule to allow for more hours!
Thanks for your post, my zappi charger was installed in 2021 with my old mg5 the 52kWh. I would return from work plug it in and it would charge from about 45 ish% to 100% in the 4hrs I’ve not had any software updates , I am in the uk. When I try to charge it now within seconds it displays charge delayed and now it also displays pilot problem. I’ve plugged the granny charger in and it seems to be charging like I say I don’t know if it’s the car, charger or cable.

... I’ve plugged the granny charger in and it seems to be charging like I say I don’t know if it’s the car, charger or cable.
Have you tried it on a local 7kW charger such as a Podpoint or other destination charger that may be found in shopping centres etc. ?

Have you checked that you have the latest firmware installed on your Zappi? I'm pretty sure there was an update three or four weeks ago?

When I try to charge it now within seconds it displays charge delayed and now it also displays piloI’ve plugged the granny charger in and it seems to be charging like I say I don’t know if it’s the car, charger or cable.
Looks like it’s not the car if it charges on the granny. Charge delayed usually means there is some schedule aktive. Pilot error probably means there is an internal problem with the Zappi/cable as this signal is also required when using the granny.

First of all I’d like to thank everyone who has helped me it’s really appreciated, so plugged car in for it to charge on the cheap (0030-0430) car didn’t charge just showed charge delayed so I unplugged it and charged it on the fast setting this charged the car from 36%-83% so I could go to work ( it wouldn’t charge at all yesterday on the fast setting) I’ve downloaded the latest firmware today for the zappi I’m going to try and charge tonight on the eco+ setting and see what happens. I can’t understand how it works one day and not the next, in the simple world I live in when something is broken it’s broken not working one day but not the next

Sorry I forgot to say about the granny charger I plugged that in yesterday and it did charge the car obviously very slowly so that’s when I decided to try the eco+ setting for through the night which didn’t work. I’ll let you all know what happens tomorrow

can’t understand how it works one day and not the next, in the simple world I live in when something is broken it’s broken not working one day but not the next
It may be an intermittent fault. Perhaps dependent on temperature, or it might be susceptible to mechanical knocks.

But it might be a firmware issue where a bug is overwriting memory that it should not, and the effects might depend on what value is written, which might depend on many things, and so on.

If so, it's still broken, but you might be lucky and still get a charge some of the time.

Not overly familiar with the Zappi but I assume it has a way of measuring the household consumption (current transformer?). If it ‘thinks’ for what ever reason the house is already at it’s power limit, it won’t start charging?
Check the settings or temporarily switch off this function to see if it makes a difference.

Right so hopefully the last instalment. I plugged my car in last night on the eco+ setting after downloading firmware from my energi for the zappi battery,status was 69% when I checked this morning it had charged the car to 100% after being at work today I’ve used 42% I’ll do the same tonight and hopefully it will charge to 100% again. One other thing that surprised me was before I bought this mg5 long range my last one was the 52kWh I got it serviced just before I px it I had covered 60,000 miles from day one I charged the battery every day for work ( not including holidays and days off ) to 100% . The Soh of the battery was 100% I was amazed at this as I thought it must have lost a bit capacity ( only px the car because the deal on my new one was to good to miss , 23 plate 37 miles exclusive model £18,000 ) Thanks again for everyone’s help .

One other thing that surprised me was before I bought this mg5 long range my last one was the 52kw I got it serviced just before I px it I had covered 60,000 miles from day one I charged the battery every day for work ( not including holidays and days off ) to 100% . The Soh of the battery was 100% I was amazed at this as I thought it must have lost a bit capacity.
Amazing indeed, but if it’s coming from the MG service department I would say “if it’s too good to be true…”

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom