Tosh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello to you all, I have installed My-Energy Zappi home charger to charger my MG ZS Trophy, the reason both were available on the Octopus website as compatible for the best intelligent tariff advertised for EVs. I was refused the tariff because of technical issues, after a few email exchanges was told I will now have to wait until all technical issues are resolved. The My Energy Zappi charger and the MGs have now been removed from their website, has anybody experienced this? The intelligent tariff is perfect for EVs, Solar and battery storage.

Hi, MG's have never been on the IOG list and the Zappi is still in beta testing by invitation only. I signed up with an original Ohme, which worked well, then swapped to a Wallbox Plus, which is very flaky doing all sorts of short charges. I am waiting for the Zappi to finish bera trials and will then connect that to my Octopus account.

Thank you for your prompt helpful reply, not sure what beta means hopefully all will be resolved soon, I was informed by Octopus once they can communicate with my Zappi it will be able to talk to he car? I moved over to Octopus from British Gas 50 year old customer, what a difference very impressed excellent customer service, brilliant website.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 4 year old ROLEC Dumb Charger, that works just fine to charge my ZS EV Mk1 which I still have, but we have just taken delivery on a new MG4 X Power which unless you set the charger to come on first, then the Car to come on second, the box keep going on and off every 30 seconds or so until I have to reset it. If the car switches off before the ROLEC does, then it does the same.

So, I decided it's time to upgrade and to move over to either an OHME or ZAPPI charger to hopefully work with Octopus Intelligent, but had a reply from OHME yesterday who confirm the MG software does not talk to the OHME box right now using API and they are currently working in their labs to develop an interface that hopefully should in the future, but no timescale right now. So the OHME Charger has to be set manually they tell me using both the MG4 Car App as a guide for what percentage of battery is remaining before setting the OHME to charge up the rest to either 100% or 80%

So I am still confused as to which new charger to go for until these issues with MG can be resolved.

As we are currently having connectivity issues with the MG app too, Smart Charging doesn't seem to work very well with MG cars.

I hope someone can confirm I am wrong on this and tell me their Smart Chargers work just fine.

========================================================================

THIS WAS OHME's reply in more detail -

Hi Andy,

That will have to do with the fact we do not yet have API integration for MG

This means that Ohme cannot retrieve your actual state of charge and will assume your battery is at 0% upon plug-in. With a schedule for 80%, Ohme will add 80% on top of what you actually had left in your battery, with a maximum of 100%, rather than reaching a target of 80%.

You can find more information on how to set your schedules without API support in this article: Choosing the right schedule for your car.

Integration with MG API is a feature that is on our Product roadmap but I can't yet confirm a timeframe on when this would be deployed.

Ohme chargers come with 3 years free SIM services. Ohme will charge no more than £2 per month for SIM services after this point. We'll actively work to keep this cost to a minimum and pass any reductions on to our customers.

Do not hesitate to get back in touch would you have any other questions.

Kind regards,

Frances

Last edited:
Hi Frances, I have now connected to the intelligent Octopus Go tariff must admit it was not straightforward but got there in the end, Octopus have updated there website to include MG ZS and other MGs, and My Energy Zappi charges, I did apply via the website and was contacted by email to inform me the intelligent tariff was now available to me, just to point out to you if you have solar panels go for the Zappi as the Ohme is unable to charge the EV direct from the solar panels

Hi Tosh,
No I don't have solar panels or any plans for them right now.
I have been on Octopus GO for a couple of years but it has been hit and miss with regards to half hour readings through my SMETS 2 Meter and more recently, they have lost all communication with it except for GAS.

An engineer is booked to come and change the Communications Hub on the meter on the 1st of December so fingers crossed all will work again and maybe I can move over to Octopus Intelligent, but my posting was to see which charger to go for i.e. Zappi or OHME Home Pro, but the Home Pro as you saw in my earlier post will not talk to an MG API at the moment and it seems like I would have to use it more manually for the time being, but will see once the comms error has been fixed. OHME is my preferred choice right now.

Andy (Blackpool)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom