Zappi Users, does the MG4 lock-out the Zappi in Eco+ mode after a number of cycles?

Yandards

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Been running 6kw of solar with a DC coupled battery plus a Zappi, Eddi and hub for about 18 months, on Octopus Got and an e208 so happy with the work around to stop the DC coupled battery (which is not visible to the Zappi as you can't use a CT clamp for DC output) being drained most of the time.
All charging is currently managed Zappi side as the app works unlike the Peugeot one for timed charging in-line with Octopus Go, it's a bit manual as I'm going in and guessing charge rate versus battery % to get it to around 80%.

Couple of questions for those with a Zappi and MG4:
1. Does the MG4 lock out the charger after a number of cycles?
I get 5 resets in the E-208 before it prevents anymore charging, as ECO+ runs at 100% (or it starts being supported by the home storage battery) occasional cloud cover over 30 seconds (this is a setting within the Zappi to hold charge for a period) causes the charge to stop. Once I've got over around 1.8kw of generation (1.4kw required to start, export margin set to 50w brings that to 1.45kw and around 300w of background household use) it'll kick back in.
2. I assume setting a charge limit in the car software isn't tied to a charge cycle, ie can you just set charge to 80% and no schedule for the charge?

Question 1. Sorry I can't help as I only have the Zappi but no solar or battery.

Question 2. I set the battery to 80% charge on the iSmart app but no other settings and use the Zappi to control when it charges.

Having charged my Trophy on my Zappi for most of the day off my solar after my Givenergy battery had charged, Question 1, the cloud cover came over a few times and no issues whatsoever.

Question 2, I haven’t got to 80% yet as I’ve only completed one overnight 4 hour charge and it hasn’t got to 80%.

Can also confirm. Q1. Its fine and works great.

Q2. Not tried, but I did accidently charge to 100% when I first got the car as eco+ on zappi has a default schedule to kick in at midnight regardless.

It would be interesting to know if anyone else who has been plugged in all day with the cloud dropping the solar output below 1.4kW which then continually turns the Zappi on and off, if the car then says enough and won't take a charge anymore.

It would be interesting to know if anyone else who has been plugged in all day with the cloud dropping the solar output below 1.4kW which then continually turns the Zappi on and off, if the car then says enough and won't take a charge anymore.
Mine went off and on several times and was fine.

Mine went off and on several times and was fine.
By several do you mean 2 or 3, I wondering if when it does it 7 or 8 time or more it doesn't like it.
I have my MG5 on a Zappi but haven't had it plugged in all day when the sun is going in and out yet.

By several do you mean 2 or 3, I wondering if when it does it 7 or 8 time or more it doesn't like it.
I have my MG5 on a Zappi but haven't had it plugged in all day when the sun is going in and out yet.
Roughly a dozen times on Saturday. It never got chance today. Too cloudy.

Been running 6kw of solar with a DC coupled battery plus a Zappi, Eddi and hub for about 18 months, on Octopus Got and an e208 so happy with the work around to stop the DC coupled battery (which is not visible to the Zappi as you can't use a CT clamp for DC output) being drained most of the time.
All charging is currently managed Zappi side as the app works unlike the Peugeot one for timed charging in-line with Octopus Go, it's a bit manual as I'm going in and guessing charge rate versus battery % to get it to around 80%.

Couple of questions for those with a Zappi and MG4:
1. Does the MG4 lock out the charger after a number of cycles?
I get 5 resets in the E-208 before it prevents anymore charging, as ECO+ runs at 100% (or it starts being supported by the home storage battery) occasional cloud cover over 30 seconds (this is a setting within the Zappi to hold charge for a period) causes the charge to stop. Once I've got over around 1.8kw of generation (1.4kw required to start, export margin set to 50w brings that to 1.45kw and around 300w of background household use) it'll kick back in.
2. I assume setting a charge limit in the car software isn't tied to a charge cycle, ie can you just set charge to 80% and no schedule for the charge?
Hi, I have the same problem. I've tried charging my MG4 SR at home on my Zappi using Eco + but if the sun goes in (i.e. it drops below 1.4 kw) then the car switches off the charging saying it has completed the charge. VERY annoying as it took me 4 hours before I noticed this error. I think it is the car rather than the MG4 as it doesn't do on the LEAF. For the time being until MG do a patch, I leave it on ECO so at least it charges!

Hi, I have the same problem. I've tried charging my MG4 SR at home on my Zappi using Eco + but if the sun goes in (i.e. it drops below 1.4 kw) then the car switches off the charging saying it has completed the charge. VERY annoying as it took me 4 hours before I noticed this error. I think it is the car rather than the MG4 as it doesn't do on the LEAF. For the time being until MG do a patch, I leave it on ECO so at least it charges!
Sounds like an issue for the Myenergi forum. Hopefully you’ll get help there

E208 been the same in the time I've had it, I know the ID3 was worse but myenergi actively engage with the car industry to try and resolve these issues.
ID3 I believe is rectified, Stellantis haven't touched the E208/Corsa E.

Got my Install date for my Zappi home charger but now got Northern Power Grid wanting to do a site survey. Anyone else had this prior to a home charger installed and what’s involved with it?

Got my Install date for my Zappi home charger but now got Northern Power Grid wanting to do a site survey. Anyone else had this prior to a home charger installed and what’s involved with it?
They probably just want to check the main fuse is large enough and replace it if necessary. They upgraded mine to 80amp and took about 5 minutes and it didn't cost anything.

I had to send various photos to Octopus Energy including one of the main fuse and mine is rated at 100 amps. I just wondered if it was normal for them to come and do a site survey before the installation when they’re not doing it. But I suppose it’s better to be safe.

As part of your charge point installation you or the installer should submit a form to your DNO before it is installed. This is to check your connection can handle the load and if any works are needed.

National Grid (my DNO) visited my property and will be replacing the drop wire that feeds us and our neighbours houses to increase the capacity. They haven't done it yet but said I could proceed with installation and use prior to the works.

It's absolutely better to be safe and have it done properly. I expect many won't and they are taking a risk of property damage through a fire and at worst theirs and their loved ones lives.

Last edited:
I assumed that if it’s marked up as 100amp then that’s what it would be. As long as what they are doing doesn’t hold up the installation. Trying to get as much done so that I am Electric car ready and then I will start looking into the car and when the best time will be for me to take the plunge. I think the earliest I will be looking will be September was wanting to get sorted with our holiday payments first.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back