ZS EV 2022 Granny Charger

hmadsen

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
A few simple question i have not been able to find answers to elsewhere.

What is the charge capacity of the granny charger, and is it possible to adjust it ?

I have heard horror stories of outdoor power sockets only being able to sustain 6 Ampere's when doing a continuous draw, and seen pictures of the charred electrical sockets.

I have not yet got any wall charger installed, so for a start i am going to use the granny charger if possible, until iget the wall charger installed, so it is important to know the charge current / wattage and if i can adjust it somehow

The granny I got with my MG5 is 10a at about 2.2kw. I used it for 6 months before I got my 7kW EVSE. I had fitted a new waterproof socket. I monitored the plug top and socket and it didn't get hot.
I would recommend using it on a new socket and not an old one in the garage. If you use an extension cable then pick one as short as possible and rated at 13A for continuous use.

Last edited by a moderator:
The granny I got with my MG5 is 10a at about 2.2kw. I used it for 6 months before I got my 7kWh EVSE. I had fitted a new waterproof socket. I monitored the plug top and socket and it didn't get hot.
I would recommend using it on a new socket and not an old one in the garage. If you use an extension cable then pick one as short as possible and rated at 13A for continuous use.
I have a wall mounted power socket right outside my house, this is also just on the outside of the wall, where the meter and fusebox is located so there is probably not a lot of wirelenght between the fusebox and the socket. This is a dedicated system connected to a 10A fuse, for my outside lighting (And the socket).

maybe i should change the socket itself, i think the one there is from 2005 when we did the driveway and the light there.

There is no adjustment on the charger is there ? (Some selector knob to lower the charge amperage ?)

If you have it on a 10A breaker with other stuff it won't be enough so will need to be changed to 16A

If you have it on a 10A breaker with other stuff it won't be enough so will need to be changed to 16A
Hence the reason i Asked if it was adjustable 😁

I can also talk to an Electrician friend, i think it was made legal to install a 13A fuse if it now has a 10A fuse.

Wire is 1,5mm2

1.5mm cable it for lighting so you can't upgrade the fuse. In fact I thought that would be on a 6A breaker.
The granny with your car won't be adjustable but I think you can buy some that are.

1.5mm cable it for lighting so you can't upgrade the fuse. In fact I thought that would be on a 6A breaker.
The granny with your car won't be adjustable but I think you can buy some that are.
Just to be clear, maybe cable is not the right word.

The "cable" is stiff solid 1,5mm2 cobber for live, neutral and earth. (Here we call it installation cables)

Domestic webpages claim that 1.5mm2 solid wires are good for 13 amps, and if i want to do 16A it must use 2,5mm2 solid copper cables.

On a different note i just googled the outside plug i have, and it is rated at 10A, but the manufacturer says that for continued high loads, it is only rated at 8A so no matter what i will need to change that one to something more beefy.

It's a shame that the charger does not have a selector switch to select 6A max, as this is what most normal electrical outlets are rated for.

Yeah, 1.5 is for lighting and 2.5 is for ring main.
Sorry just clicked on your profile to see you are in Denmark. If I was on my tablet I think it shows up next to your name but not on my phone🙄

Yeah, 1.5 is for lighting and 2.5 is for ring main.
Sorry just clicked on your profile to see you are in Denmark. If I was on my tablet I think it shows up next to your name but not on my phone🙄
Yeah, in Denmark the rule is solid double insulated installation cable of 1.5mm2 is ok for 13A and 2.5mm2 is good for 16A

Normal household's dont usually have anything more than 16A fuses, and nowadays, the 16A in a normal household is not really needed.

Even the clothes washer which was in ye olden days a 3 phase 16A machine nowadays runs fine on a 13A 1 phase connection.

Efficient machines and wash cycles that has been made longer presumably to save on energy means that the machine does not suck a lot of power.

I think i read that the normal cable dimensions a house of my age, would be a cable that will be able to deliver 25A max, and this is also what the fuse in the box in the road is rated at.

But, not that big of a problem, i dont intend to install a charger that can charge that fast anyway. :)

If i need fast charging i will go to a real fastcharger, they just installed 6 new 150 KWh chargers 2 miles from where i live. (Prices are not very good though, but i bet over time when there will be some competition, the prices will drop.. Right now the price of a KWh would be equivalent to £0,56 ).

The granny I got with my MG5 is 10a at about 2.2kw. I used it for 6 months before I got my 7kW EVSE. I had fitted a new waterproof socket. I monitored the plug top and socket and it didn't get hot.
My granny charger that came with the MGZSEV works fine from the 10 amp socket in the garage. Have a QUBEV charger for fast charging but rarely use it.

Yeah, in Denmark the rule is solid double insulated installation cable of 1.5mm2 is ok for 13A and 2.5mm2 is good for 16A

Normal household's dont usually have anything more than 16A fuses, and nowadays, the 16A in a normal household is not really needed.

Even the clothes washer which was in ye olden days a 3 phase 16A machine nowadays runs fine on a 13A 1 phase connection.

Efficient machines and wash cycles that has been made longer presumably to save on energy means that the machine does not suck a lot of power.

I think i read that the normal cable dimensions a house of my age, would be a cable that will be able to deliver 25A max, and this is also what the fuse in the box in the road is rated at.

But, not that big of a problem, i dont intend to install a charger that can charge that fast anyway. :)

If i need fast charging i will go to a real fastcharger, they just installed 6 new 150 KWh chargers 2 miles from where i live. (Prices are not very good though, but i bet over time when there will be some competition, the prices will drop.. Right now the price of a KWh would be equivalent to £0,56 ).
10kW power showers need 42 amps.

10kW power showers need 42 amps.
1649508685644.jpeg

Nah just plug it in here - that’ll be near enough 🤦‍♂️

A few simple question i have not been able to find answers to elsewhere.

What is the charge capacity of the granny charger, and is it possible to adjust it ?

I have heard horror stories of outdoor power sockets only being able to sustain 6 Ampere's when doing a continuous draw, and seen pictures of the charred electrical sockets.

I have not yet got any wall charger installed, so for a start i am going to use the granny charger if possible, until iget the wall charger installed, so it is important to know the charge current / wattage and if i can adjust it somehow
Go on utube you will get all and more answers

I’m not sure about any of this, as you’re not talking about the UK as most folk on here are from.
I thought the new ZS in Europe had the 3phase onboard charger. Is this purely for “proper” wall chargers, or is the granny supplied different?

In the UK it is kinda illegal to fit a mains rated plug socket on anything other than a 2.5mm cable, so this issue never comes up. You definitely need more than a 10amp MCB on the circuit used to plug the granny into (if it’s the same as the UK one).

I’m surprised if this is quite common in Europe, that the EV manufacturers haven’t taken it into account with the granny chargers that they supply.

I’m not sure about any of this, as you’re not talking about the UK as most folk on here are from.
I thought the new ZS in Europe had the 3phase onboard charger. Is this purely for “proper” wall chargers, or is the granny supplied different?

In the UK it is kinda illegal to fit a mains rated plug socket on anything other than a 2.5mm cable, so this issue never comes up. You definitely need more than a 10amp MCB on the circuit used to plug the granny into (if it’s the same as the UK one).

I’m surprised if this is quite common in Europe, that the EV manufacturers haven’t taken it into account with the granny chargers that they supply.
Good to hear from you @JodyS21
It's been a while (y).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom