ZS EV App? It’s probably the only EV without a factional app which is pretty frustrating especially knowing that the Asian market provides one :(

It's clear you were answering the question regarding the Mk1 vs the current model - thanks for clarifying the difference regarding app connectivity, it's useful info when weighing options.
Thank you !.
At least somebody get's that I was only trying to point out WHY it is important to understand that some items can NOT be upgraded by a simple software upgrade.
A lot of ZS EV Gen1 owners got frustrated when they are not able to control their cars from the App like they are able to do in Thailand.
But this has been the subject of a LOT of debate since the ZS EV was first released over two years ago.
This is why MG have addressed this issue on ALL of the new face lift models.
@JimB has already cancelled his pre-order of the face lift model I believe, so why the interest / concern ?.
I am a little puzzled why you bother commenting on a car that you have no interest in buying to be honest, App or no App ?.
Oh well, there you go 🤷‍♂️ !.

On social media? 🤣
The guy was making a joke about not having an app because of the world-wide main media coverage yesterday of Teslas app issues locking folk out of their cars.

To clarify though for anyone that doesn't know what happened. Teslas can be unlocked etc using a phone/app instead of having the "key" with you, the app/server had an outage issue, some folk rely purely on the phone/app and therefore couldn't access their cars - bit silly really if you ask me to not carry your "key" with you and rely on something that could obviously be down occasionally.

bit silly really if you ask me to not carry your "key" with you and rely on something that could obviously be down occasionally.
See it more and more frequently though. Peeps on a night out, travelling on public transport, going to events etc... everything on their phone. Such a great idea, because phones can never be stolen, dropped, ran flat or die in cold weather, and there's no such thing as no signal (as long as you're not on O2, allegedly)🤨.

Have actually heard an argument where the person had their train ticket on their phone, the phone was flat (even though it's the responsibility of the bearer to ensure their ticket is available for inspection) and apparently that wasn't their problem, and naw, they're not buying another ticket, and even if they wanted to, they didn't have their bank card, only their phone...

OVMS works well for me on my Gen1. Cost around £200 for the hardware.
Shows SOC and when the car is charging too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210914-181926.png
    Screenshot_20210914-181926.png
    511.6 KB · Views: 87
See it more and more frequently though. Peeps on a night out, travelling on public transport, going to events etc... everything on their phone. Such a great idea, because phones can never be stolen, dropped, ran flat or die in cold weather, and there's no such thing as no signal (as long as you're not on O2, allegedly)🤨.

Have actually heard an argument where the person had their train ticket on their phone, the phone was flat (even though it's the responsibility of the bearer to ensure their ticket is available for inspection) and apparently that wasn't their problem, and naw, they're not buying another ticket, and even if they wanted to, they didn't have their bank card, only their phone...
We have become a little too dependant on our smart phones now !.
All you need, right in your pocket.
Okay as long as everything is working correctly !.
Without it, we are pretty much knackered !.
A lot of people don’t even carry a wallet to keep there key card in anymore.
Technology is great, when it’s working correctly.

ZS EV App? It’s probably the only EV without a factional app which is pretty sad and frustrating especially knowing that the Asian market provides one :(
Without a doubt MG should respect all ZS EV owners and modify the existing Asian app to suit the European/UK market.

Any chance?
Please can you tell me what a 'Fractional App' means I am not up to speed on the terminology?

ZS EV App? It’s probably the only EV without a factional app which is pretty sad and frustrating especially knowing that the Asian market provides one :(
Without a doubt MG should respect all ZS EV owners and modify the existing Asian app to suit the European/UK market.

Any chance?
Please can you tell me what a 'Fractional App' is?

I have now owned 4 EV’s the oldest being from 2013. Only one didn’t have an app… having moved to a village in an exposed position I use the app with my Soul EV daily, sometimes several times a day. When I ordered the MG ZSEV I was really hoping that it would eventually have an app, and when it became apparent it wouldn’t, I bought OVMS, but as MG has done some really’ interesting’ coding on the car, the hackers have been unable so far to get remote climate control to work.

This was a major contributor to me selling my MG.

But how come ZS EV Gen 1 having an app in Asia?
The Gen 1 ZS EV in Asia has a completely different Infotainment software and an additional module for the network connection - essentially a different car from that perspective. As already commented in this thread the European car doesn't have the hardware but even if you could plug in the module from the Asian version the Head Unit and Infotainment system hasn't have the software to support it. This topic has been running since the launch of the UK / European ZS EV and there were threads with photos of the teardown of Asia "Head Units" compared with photos of the UK cars.

Personally, I thought not having the App was going to be a problem but it hasn't stopped me from enjoying my ZS the past 2 years. And you're incorrect in saying that the Gen 1 ZS EV is/was the only EV without a functional App just take a look at Kia. The First Edition eNiro (which I also had for a short while) didn't have an App in UK but did in some other markets and the same for the Kia Soul. Having an App surrenders a lot of data to the cloud and when the servers supporting that service is in China it is a sensitive issue. Kia's current crop now have app support as does the new Gen2 ZS.

Currently, I use an OBD2 module plugged into the car and have it paired with "EV Watchdog" from Google Play and this gives me 9even as the free version) lots of additional data when I'm in the car and I used to have a module before that until it failed which had a SIM Card and a phone app but I don't think you can get them anymore.

A more comprehensive option the "Open Vehicle Monitoring System 3" which has an MG ZS profile and can monitor and control various aspects of the car. For full information go to:

Just a reminder in these times of increasing energy cost that OctopusGo continues to offer great value for EV charging at 5p/kWh. My price guarantee comes to an end in mid-December and I have been quoted 24.25p day time peak but still 5p for the four hours 00:30 to 04:30 which is long enough to charge 100+ miles on the ZS.

Although I believe they are not taking new Customers at present it would be keeping an eye on and my referral code will still give a £100 credit shared 50:50.
share.octopus.energy/zappy-guppy-175

Any chance?
I had an hour-twenty yesterday on my own in a black Trophy model new EV and have placed an order (Apr 2022 earliest). The iSmart app on the salesman's phone is the same as various videos online. It is comprehensive. I attach the BROCHURE the Kent dealer sent me pre-demo. The car drives like the current model except it is definitley 'more deluxe', a slight change in the ride, the trim accented in red stitching but a gigantic change in the cockpit. The satnav that is pants in the current model is v good and the touch screen a delight. Power controls and st-wheel/stalks no change. In the Trophy Connect model (+£500) voice command options are available ('MG open sunroof') Although a touch of cold water: the attached pic of cabin/dash/touch screen I FOUND ONLINE is named 'Marvel R Dashboard' and is the 'MG Marvel R Electric' model avail in Europe but not the UK. I found the battery %age realistic, and when in a traffic jam calculated that 100% really does mean 270 miles range. I think a v good value car just got better, still VFM but now nudging the big brand players. As the salesman said to me: 'SAIC Motor Corporation: the fourth largest auto manufacturer no one's heard of.'

Attachments

• New MG ZS EV.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 141
  • Marvel-R-dashboard-1-1600x900.jpg
    Marvel-R-dashboard-1-1600x900.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 88
I had an hour-twenty yesterday on my own in a black Trophy model new EV and have placed an order (Apr 2022 earliest). The iSmart app on the salesman's phone is the same as various videos online. It is comprehensive. I attach the BROCHURE the Kent dealer sent me pre-demo. The car drives like the current model except it is definitley 'more deluxe', a slight change in the ride, the trim accented in red stitching but a gigantic change in the cockpit. The satnav that is pants in the current model is v good and the touch screen a delight. Power controls and st-wheel/stalks no change. In the Trophy Connect model (+£500) voice command options are available ('MG open sunroof') Although a touch of cold water: the attached pic of cabin/dash/touch screen I FOUND ONLINE is named 'Marvel R Dashboard' and is the 'MG Marvel R Electric' model avail in Europe but not the UK. I found the battery %age realistic, and when in a traffic jam calculated that 100% really does mean 270 miles range. I think a v good value car just got better, still VFM but now nudging the big brand players. As the salesman said to me: 'SAIC Motor Corporation: the fourth largest auto manufacturer no one's heard of.'
Thanks for the observations. I drove one earlier in the week and thought it felt more confident and classy on the road compared to my present ZS EV that I love. Did not get my head around much of the control screen in the time available but do not see that as a negative.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom