ZS EV Delayed Charging Test. Successful after BMS system software update to latest.

KasEV

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I know some have the appropriate updated software and are using delayed Charging successfully. I am writing to those who have not. This is to confirm that delayed Charging is possible on the ZS EV if you have the appropriate software update.
No need for trickle Charging or any complicated charging regime.
The updated software allows the ZS EV onboard charger to wake up and charge when ever it is presented with power when the HVB is not already fully charged.
I had my software update on Thursday and since then run a couple of delayed Charging test mainly using a timer plug and the 3pin granny cable. Excellent results no problems at all. Charging started at whatever time the timer plug was set to.
I will encourage all those who have not got delayed Charging to get the software update to enable them have more flexibility with Charging.
One may check if they have delayed Charging already installed by phoning their dealership giving their ZS EV chassis numbers which can then be used by the dealership to check the MG software updates data base.
The update you need is the latest BMS software update.
Just to make you aware most of the MG dealership Techs seem to be poorly informed. It seems most of them even do not have EVs/ have never owned one and the only contact they have with real life EVs is when we turn up with our concerns. It seems some have undergone some training but are short of true real life EV knowledge other than what is in the few manuals they have read.
For example, the Tech who updated my car was very knowledgeable and well trained. The knew all his manuals inside out but as the ZS EV was originally made without delayed charging, he had never heard of it before. In fact he confidently told me that there is nothing like delayed Charging and I was one of several people who have come up to him asking about this non existent facility. I told him in more polite words that he must be living on another planet making him aware that there had been a customer outcry which resulted in MG bringing in this update. He seemed to suggest that he had never come across the term "delayed Charging" in his well rehearsed manuals and training so he went on to call MG UK.
As soon as he had spoken to central MG UK and it was explained to him that the issue he was to solve was BMS software management update he was now super competent and sorted the issue out successfully.
In contrast had been in contact with a sales person at a different dealership who was an EV owner who had better real life knowledge about delayed Charging than my Tech. I would therefore advise that if you go for update /service etc and you feel your concerns are not being adequately addressed, please insist that your MG tech checks with MG UK to confirm whatever they are saying to you.

Appreciate the detailed explanation of the BMS update. Is there anywhere on the console screen to verify the BMS update has been applied to your car? It would be great if MGMotor published the latest update revisions for each car so we can compare and order the updates from the dealers in advance. I still don't understand why MG Motor will not release the updates to the dealers so the install can be achieved in less than 15mins. I have heard that the updates have to be downloaded from China each time a vehicle is updated: which is very inefficient for the dealers and costly for the customers. We do need better services from MG Motor: I hope more MG EV owners ask them to simplify this process and standardise a lower cost for what should be a 15min update.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom