ZS EV facelift

It'd only be more efficient in how you use the power once you get it out of the battery - so yes all the other components that are used to turn the power into motion would be more efficient at a higher voltage I believe.

Higher voltage means less current for the same power which very importantly means - smaller wiring is needed etc.
That's correct. Smaller wiring, less resistance and with higher voltage less heatloss

I have zero proof of anything lol.
Except for fundamental scientific principles which say that X amount of power is X amount of power no matter how you create it - be it a 44.5kWh battery powered by hamsters in wheels or uranium.

I can't imagine that they wouldn't explicitely lie that they have some type of new technology in the battery pack compared to previous.

@Abhijoy from India has basically said what they've done - used a different test (iCat vs ARAI) to give the new range.

When I say I think europe is getting a proper new model unlike the Indian one, I got the impression from Miles on podcast that lets say it's like the Indian model is ver 1.1, the EU one when it's launched will be version 2.0.
I am going to be very interested when the 2021 model is delivered in India because if it doesn't give the extended range promised they are going to have a lot of cars returned due to false claims.
There are lots of external elements that restrict the efficiency and life of the battery and the BMS tries to manage them, they may have a new battery that is not restricted so much, in our model the BMS already restricts the range to protect the battery. only time will tell. India is a huge market that MG have in their sights it would be suicide for them to make misrepresented statements like that and would have repercussions outside India also.

Here's a video of a guy doing a walk around of the "new" version. I don't speak the language but one thing caught my eye was the infotainment screen. Skip to 7:26 to see their version.

It looks totally different and much better! Notice how the SOC is shown in % on the screen (!!!!) and the dated colored squares are updated with a more modern look. Also, it seems to be a lot faster to respond than what we have, Dare I hope for a future OS update to our current model?

PS: the thumbnail on the video claims a whopping 419km range!

Here's a video of a guy doing a walk around of the "new" version. I don't speak the language but one thing caught my eye was the infotainment screen. Skip to 7:26 to see their version.

It looks totally different and much better! Notice how the SOC is shown in % on the screen (!!!!) and the dated colored squares are updated with a more modern look. Also, it seems to be a lot faster to respond than what we have, Dare I hope for a future OS update to our current model?

PS: the thumbnail on the video claims a whopping 419km range!

Very interesting, nice to see a video like that that shows everything.

WAAAYYYYY nicer/better looking infotainment system.
I doubt our system has the same capability/power.
Theirs will obviously have the data connection system in it too.

At least we have heated seats!!!!!!!!

I've had a thought about this magic extra range on the indian version.

The wheels have been changed to 215/55/17 (to give the higher ride clearance).
Ours are 215/50/17 - unless I'm mistaken.

Calculation:
215/55/17 = circumference of 209.8cm
215/50/17 = circumference of 203.1cm

So it's changed the gearing effectively.
Wheel 1000rpm = 60000rph = (@209.8cm circ) 125.88kmph
Wheel 1000rpm = 60000rph = (@203.1cm circ) 121.86kmph

For the same wheel rpm the distance will increase by 3.30%
If it doesn't alter power efficiency - I've not idea if it does, then our of 163 range + 3.3% = 168.4.
Hmm that still doesn't match their new magical extra range does it!!!!!! lol
On reading about the new Indian spec ZS the only aspect I paid attn to was the new ‘Hi Tech battery’.
Now considering it is the same size Battery is this really a new HI Tech battery or an upgrade in the battery software similar to what Tesla did with their OTA developments in performance on the same car. I believe it more likely that MG have somehow tweaked the battery software to achieve better performance from the battery pack.

On reading about the new Indian spec ZS the only aspect I paid attn to was the new ‘Hi Tech battery’.
Now considering it is the same size Battery is this really a new HI Tech battery or an upgrade in the battery software similar to what Tesla did with their OTA developments in performance on the same car. I believe it more likely that MG have somehow tweaked the battery software to achieve better performance from the battery pack.
Agree, they probably have allowed a bigger amount of the new high-tech 44.5kWh battery to be usable. The battery warranty is less I think in India so they would potentially allow it too.
What doesn't add up though is that we have 42-42.5kWh available to use of 44.5, that only potentially gives a max of another 2-2.5kWh, the range increase is much higher than just that.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom