ZS EV facelift

I may be wrong here but if a battery is the same size and produces the same amount of energy - say 45kw/hr - then to get more range other areas that use that energy must be more efficient. A more efficient battery with the same capacity doesn’t make sense does it? - I stand to be corrected 🤪
It's got more Snake oil in the new one and those electron alignment magnets on the cables. ;)

I may be wrong here but if a battery is the same size and produces the same amount of energy - say 45kw/hr - then to get more range other areas that use that energy must be more efficient. A more efficient battery with the same capacity doesn’t make sense does it? - I stand to be corrected 🤪
This is what I've said previously.

It's irrelevant how the power is stored - how great the battery is etc, if it stores the same amount of power, you fundamentally won't get any more out of it.

Try Google
The 2021 MG ZS EV, which comes without changes to the look, has an improved battery pack in the same 44.5 kWh, capacity. It can drive up to 419 km on a full charge, 79 more than the 2020 MG ZS EV (340 km). The 2022 MG ZS EV will have cosmetic alterations and substantial technical changes. One of the key improvements will be high temperature resistance, as per a new report from Autocar India.

This is what I've said previously.

It's irrelevant how the power is stored - how great the battery is etc, if it stores the same amount of power, you fundamentally won't get any more out of it.
Think of Duracell longer-lasting batteries same spec. just more efficient, car battery technology is changing all the time I suppose

Try Google
The 2021 MG ZS EV, which comes without changes to the look, has an improved battery pack in the same 44.5 kWh, capacity. It can drive up to 419 km on a full charge, 79 more than the 2020 MG ZS EV (340 km). The 2022 MG ZS EV will have cosmetic alterations and substantial technical changes. One of the key improvements will be high temperature resistance, as per a new report from Autocar India.
Whats google?

So if there are performance differences due to the battery alone (meaning range improvements really) between 2 battery packs with the same kw/hr capacity how is this shown as a metric against the battery and how is it achieved? Is it increased current? Different voltage? If the rate of discharge is different then isn’t the kw/hr figure also different? Is it down to improved materials and density? As I said I’m far from an expert but would love to find out more. Is it a bit like filling your tank with high octane petrol compared to standard octane? Same number of gallons but more power. How does it work to provide greater range but with the same kw/hr capacity? I think that we have a few battery techys on here 🙂

I enjoy learning - I don’t like being taught very much though.

There are some basics getting muddled up here. Battery “efficiency“ for example - what exactly is that? Battery capacity yes, but efficiency not really no.

IMHO, the speculation isn’t really useful & we should wait until any official announcement of actual facts.

Motor efficiency yes, will give more miles from the same capacity battery - but that’s a whole different matter.

There are some basics getting muddled up here. Battery “efficiency“ for example - what exactly is that? Battery capacity yes, but efficiency not really no.

IMHO, the speculation isn’t really useful & we should wait until any official announcement of facts.

Motor efficiency yes, will give more miles from the same capacity battery - but that’s a whole different matter.
The battery in the car at the moment is capable of giving a higher mileage it is being throttled to make sure it has a longer life, to allow for the seven-year guarantee? I believe in India the guarantee is shorter so could be it's allowing more drain on the battery but I don't know. They are already playing around with the max voltage with the new BMS update and the range is staying the same according to MG

Think of Duracell longer-lasting batteries same spec. just more efficient, car battery technology is changing all the time I suppose
That isn't that same - Duracell longer life batteries etc, are the same physical size and voltage output but store more power (watt hours).

Power is power (watts not volts/amps).
It matters not what the voltage is or amperage is or physical size or chemistry is of a battery, if it is specified as having 44.5kWattHours of power then that is the power it contains.

"We believe" we have access to 42-42.5kWh of usable power from the battery in the current car (not the full 44.5 in the advertisements).
If the "new" battery is 44.5kWh in the same way, then the only way to obtain more power from it, is if more of it is usable.
Potentially going from 42 to 44.5kWh of available power, means 6% additional power.
I believe the claimed "new" car range is increased by more than 6%. The only way to get more range than this is through efficiency improvements.

The battery in the car at the moment is capable of giving a higher mileage it is being throttled to make sure it has a longer life, to allow for the seven-year guarantee? I believe in India the guarantee is shorter so could be it's allowing more drain on the battery but I don't know. They are already playing around with the max voltage with the new BMS update and the range is staying the same according to MG
Hi, are you stating a fact or an opinion? If it’s a fact then where did it originate from? I’m not being difficult- I’m genuinely interested. Cheers

Hi, are you stating a fact or an opinion? If it’s a fact then where did it originate from? I’m not bei

Hi, are you stating a fact or an opinion? If it’s a fact then where did it originate from? I’m not being difficult- I’m genuinely interested. Cheers
Exactly what are you genuinely wanting to know about the post.

Exactly what are you genuinely wanting to know about the post.
The source of the claim you are making would be good. You’ve made an interesting statement - I’d like to know where the info originated.

All EV battery packs have a top and bottom buffer that protects them from continualy being charged too high or running too low - it also helps extend the life of the battery pack. This is a fundamental part of the BMS. Manufacturers change these parameters from time to time (MG have just changed theirs). In theory all battery packs could be extended and give more range at the detriment of longevity and reliability. You’ll see some manufacturers publish ‘usable capacity’ for their battery packs. All this is not new or controversial. Or ‘speculation‘ 🤪🤪

All EV battery packs have a top and bottom buffer that protects them from continualy being charged too high or running too low - it also helps extend the life of the battery pack. This is a fundamental part of the BMS. Manufacturers change these parameters from time to time (MG have just changed theirs). In theory all battery packs could be extended and give more range at the detriment of longevity and reliability. You’ll see some manufacturers publish ‘usable capacity’ for their battery packs. All this is not new or controversial. Or ‘speculation‘ 🤪🤪
I’m aware of all that, in fact Myles from MG Chorley talked about it on the podcast last week. If that’s all that’s being referred to then I’ve misinterpreted what’s been said. However, it’s fine-tuning and wont get a significant increase in usable range. I’m not uncomfortable with the range the ZS EV has at the moment, but am keen to see how the product evolves with either increases in battery capacity or motor efficiency. Each of these will need new hardware over and above what we have in place at the moment. I think an easy win for MG would be to introduce a bigger capacity battery pack for the ZS - using the large empty space above the current pack/under the rear seat.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom