ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) - HV traction battery replaced.

Lovemyev

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Some members may find the video posted below, very interesting.
It offers a really good & detailed account of the process that is involved to carry out this task.
Also some interesting points made in the comments section.
The ZS EV in question has covered 120,000 miles and is therefore out of warranty with the manufacture, it should be noted.

Has anyone one else seen this video from triple b engineering about replacing the 120000 mile traction pack with a used traction pack from a salvage yard for £2500?
The pack was outside the 100000 warranty & the max speed was around 50mph because of the pack de-rating at low SOC. They said MG motors weren't interested and said it was perfectly normal, They swapped the battery traction pack & didn't have to code it to that chassis & was just plug in & go. Interesting video with more vids to come on the breakdown of the old pack.

Some members may find the video posted below, very interesting.
It offers a really good & detailed account of the process that is involved to carry out this task.
Also some interesting points made in the comments section.
The ZS EV in question has covered 120,000 miles and is therefore out of warranty with the manufacture, it should be noted.

Thankyou Lovemyev, very interesting, it certainly looks a lot easier and less time consuming than replacing an ICE.

Interesting at 1m40s “MG told us it can’t be done - it needs to be coded in…”. Either MG don’t know their own cars or deliberate misinformation from them. Not a good look either way.

Has anyone one else seen this video from triple b engineering about replacing the 120000 mile traction pack with a used traction pack from a salvage yard for £2500?
The pack was outside the 100000 warranty & the max speed was around 50mph because of the pack de-rating at low SOC. They said MG motors weren't interested and said it was perfectly normal, They swapped the battery traction pack & didn't have to code it to that chassis & was just plug in & go. Interesting video with more vids to come on the breakdown of the old pack.

Thanks for uploading @chowbenter.
I had viewed this same video, only the previous evening.
I decided that I would then just sleep on it
last night first, before uploading to the site.
After sleeping on it, I thought YEAH
It should be shared !.
If I was thirty years younger ( as a trained tech ) I would have no problem in taking on this type of battery exchange !

Last edited:
If the proper information is there and available, it would not be difficult, especially to someone normally fitting PV batteries. However, it needs the support of the OEM to provide the info and indicate safe practices. This will all probably happen in time. Already there are many UK companies changing older ICE cars to electric who must do this all the time.

Thanks for uploading @chowbenter.
I had viewed this same video, only the previous evening.
I decided that I would then just sleep on int!.
last night first, before on this shortly, before uploading to the site.
After sleeping on it, I thought YEAH
It should be shared !.
If I was thirty years younger ( as a trained tech ) I would have no problem in taking on this type of battery exchange !

The price of £2500 they paid for a second hand low mileage traction pack seemed really reasonable I thought after hearing of the horror stories of how much some people pay for these things.

Just seen this, easier than than you'd think.

And another one merged.
Some members must be in hibernation :ROFLMAO:
I don't often look at the ZS forum these days but did a search on 'swap' and nothing came up. Should have searched replaced I guess.

I f I remember correctly, a couple of years ago there was a one minute or so pit stop where they swapped out the uncharged HV battery for a full charged one. Although it was done by a robot.

So that's Bill’s car and Bill, I knew I’ve seen that reg before. He devised ways of allowing timed charging with additional hardware before MG fixed the software.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom