ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) - HV traction battery replaced.

£2.5k for a 10,000mile 2nd hand unit, interestingly the old one was only replaced (after 120,000 miles), as it was struggling at 70mph when battery less than 10% - I believe they are turning the old one into home energy storage - it looks like all the modules are running at the correct voltage (unloaded) - a quick search of the Reg - shows that the battery pack is 44.5kwh - NCM - the youtube account is from Tripple B Engineering, Northampton (UK) - going forward this sort of thing is going to be common place.

Last edited:
I think we are going to see more in depth diagnostic work on packs in future as knowledge and understanding of EVs increases with independent garages. This will likely result in less full replacements being done and more on replacing bad cells and modules at a much reduced cost.

Teslabjorn has demonstrated examples of this with an independent in Norway (Elbilmek, EV Hub etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
Some members may find the video posted below, very interesting.
It offers a really good & detailed account of the process that is involved to carry out this task.
Also some interesting points made in the comments section.
The ZS EV in question has covered 120,000 miles and is therefore out of warranty with the manufacture, it should be noted.

Thanks for that - very interesting. No special tools like extractors required just the weight to handle but that is the same as an ice.
Didn't see the coolant header tanks caps removed to encourage flow

I f I remember correctly, a couple of years ago there was a one minute or so pit stop where they swapped out the uncharged HV battery for a full charged one. Although it was done by a robot.
Think that was a Hyundai in Norway - saw it on 5th gear Recharged.
Very slick, pay by app, park in the 'cabin', old battery swapped for fully charged one in minutes, and drive away.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom