ZS EV Gen1 Low battery warning odd behaviour

rbpasapera

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Last week car showed the first low battery warning light when SOC BMS was 25-ish %, but GOM was showing 90 km left and 2 bars on battery meter.

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-30 at 9.49.01 AM.jpeg

Usually, I get this low battery warning light when GOM shows 70-ish km and 1 bar on battery meter.

Has anyone seen/experienced this?

Last week car showed the first low battery warning light when SOC BMS was 25-ish %, but GOM was showing 90 km left and 2 bars on battery meter.

View attachment 7669

Usually, I get this low battery warning light when GOM shows 70-ish km and 1 bar on battery meter.

Has anyone seen/experienced this?
The manual confirms what you say, it should come on at 1 bar on the gauge. 🤔

On the original BMS software, the "Low Battery" warning would be given when the battery state hit the two white bars remaining.
This was with about 40 miles of range remaining.
The Jan 15th 2021 BMS update changed this behaviour on our car.
I found we could get as low as ONE white bar remaining before we received the "Low Battery" warning message.
We now have the face lift Trophy model, which displays a percentage of remaining battery and a percentage of SOC also.
Today, we had our first orange charge your battery warning message.
This happened as we reached about 40 miles remaining and at about 25%.
The battery indicator went into the red zone at around 20 miles of range remaining.
We arrived home with 10% of the battery remaining and about 19 miles of range left !.
It would appear, that the new face life model and the original ZS EV ( with the factory BMS ) are slightly similar on how and when they notify the driver.
Although running the new car down to this low SOC today may sound a little crazy, I found it was a really good exercise on gathering a good understanding of the lower parameter's of the battery and how and when the displayed the levels of SOC.
After owning the Gen 1 ZS EV for over two years and almost 20,000 miles, I had a pretty good idea of how the car reacted across all of the battery SOC habits.
I could almost predicted within a mile or so, when the first "Low Battery" warnings would be given out.
I needed to understand how the new car would dispatch it's range warnings.
It could have been a situation where the range reduced steadily to a certain point, then dropped like a brick as soon as you hit a certain number.
E.G. - One minute you had 12 miles of range and then the next time you looked, you where down to 8 miles remaining, after travelling only a couple of miles !.
This was not the case, I am glad to say that the range reduced at the same pace as before.
It's school day, every day with EV's !.
The car will be receiving a well earned drink later tonight.
Love the car OBTW.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom