ZS EV just stops - dangerous

andymgzs

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Recurring fault with the ZS EV which the dealer refuses to look at because no fault code.
Car randomly stops with a HV Fault warning. Stops whenever it wants. On Motorway, normal road or doesn’t start at home. Fix after AA recovered us from motorway breakdown was to connect at reconnect 12v battery.
Add a spanner to you tool kit!

Interesting thread...

The AA would see the fault codes that the car would have generated, as the HV battery can't just shut off and not leave a footprint in the diagnostic system, as other users have stated previously.

I think we've only see one other user encounter your issue of the HV disconnecting in motion and I believe it was resolved with the BMS updated firmware.

Interesting thread...

The AA would see the fault codes that the car would have generated, as the HV battery can't just shut off and not leave a footprint in the diagnostic system, as other users have stated previously.

I think we've only see one other user encounter your issue of the HV disconnecting in motion and I believe it was resolved with the BMS updated firmware.
It’s interesting that firmware seems an acceptable fault to a car. Software, like hardware, is part of the Bill of Material. In my view a car can have a defect in both hardware and software. Both have the same consequences. In this case a failure causing the car to stop. If software is going to fault it should have a fail safe or limp home mode.
MG software is not robust.

Also interesting is that MG tried to charge me for a BMS update. After a pretty frank exchange they waived the cost after accepting that the car had been shipped with a defect. Hardware and software are same - they both are part of the car specification.

Recurring fault with the ZS EV which the dealer refuses to look at because no fault code.
Car randomly stops with a HV Fault warning. Stops whenever it wants. On Motorway, normal road or doesn’t start at home. Fix after AA recovered us from motorway breakdown was to connect at reconnect 12v battery.
Add a spanner to you tool kit!
Yep, I keep one in the glove box. BWT this is issue is certainly not confined to MG EVs & haave read this on fora including for Volvo, BYD and even one hilarious 'teccy' story from a Tesla owner.

Ref dubious software, I had an XK8 where the engine would suddenly cut-out for no apparent reason, but then immediately restart and drive normally, until the next time. The Jag garage said it had not had a recall done. This was a software change - if the sensor on the accelerator gave a suspicious reading, the software killed the engine. Obviously the revised software just took the last known sensor reading and carried on.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom