ZS EV winter tyres

Blind Optom

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Having a glance at the main garages (kwik-fit, national etc) after putting in my reg it only shows me all season/summer tyres. Has anyone fitted winter tyres and what's your experience. Thanks!

I got studded winter tires. It's been -10 degrees celsius here in Norway for two weeks now and I'm pretty glad i remembered to buy them when i bought the car;).

I got studded winter tires. It's been -10 degrees celsius here in Norway for two weeks now and I'm pretty glad i remembered to buy them when i bought the car;).
We are having an unuseal -10 in the netherlands now. Could you tell me how much range you have on the GOM and or battery voltage when fully charged? Currently my GOM reads 140km when fully charged.

He did steer into the skid, in those conditions which looks like ice under the snow once you start sliding there is little you can do apart from take hands and feet off anything and wait. Winter tyres would have made little difference in this situation.
P.S In my past life I taught skid control and how avoid loosing control using skid pans.

mind you...if he had not hit that car he would have continued and perhaps hit something crossing the road and it could have been worse

The car seems to still be in reverse so the driver would have had no regen I'm guessing as well may have helped a little to use motor breaking, although when I was skidding on black ice I found dropping the MG into Kers 1 was better than 3 (and I did have All Seasons on and it was a more manageable uphill skid/scramble for traction in an icey carpark).

He did steer into the skid, in those conditions which looks like ice under the snow once you start sliding there is little you can do apart from take hands and feet off anything and wait. Winter tyres would have made little difference in this situation.
P.S In my past life I taught skid control and how avoid loosing control using skid pansa
P.S In my past life I taught skid control and how avoid loosing control using skid pans.
Any specific professional advice for driving EV’s in icy conditions? e.g. using regen, auto creep, automatic compared to manual, electronic handbrake, that sort of thing?

I was driving in Glasgow that night. There are charging points at the top of the hill, but there were other roads down they could have picked. The roads weren't totally impassable, but with a little bit of thought, he could have avoided a very expensive prang 🤦‍♂️

Snow had been falling on clear streets, but it wasn't icy. His wheels were locked pretty much from the second he started moving.

The guidance for driving an EV in icy or snow conditions are to do very thing slowly, accelerate slowly and do not make any sudden steering movements. Use brake sparingly. I use regen system to help to smoothly slow and the apply brakes very gently. It is probably best to manually release the handbrake as torque is required to release it automatically and to maintain grip you need to be very gentle in pulling away.

Thanks - I think most drivers are so frightened by actually skidding that they become really tense and worried by it. Do you ever recommend that a driver should try - in a safe area - a trial skid to see how it feels? for example - on a very quiet wide road apply your brakes and feel the abs kick in - get to know what it is and how it feels - become less afraid of the conditions and take back control.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom