ZS MK1 Range and your experience?

weatherman

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi all,

Have had MG5 LR Exclusive for 18-months and love it. Now looking to change our second ICE car for a MK1 ZS.

We regularly travel a 100 mile route with no chargers and I was wondering if the range on the ZS MK1 would be sufficient for this? We’d granny charge overnight at our destination (how long does a granny charge to full take?).

Also, anyone any experiences with how the MK1 interior wears as there is a choice between the Excite and Exclusive trims?

Thanks so much for any help,
Simon

We frequently go from London to Loughborough on one charge, often leaving us with 30 miles left. Not quite as much in the winter but definitely still do able. There are plenty of motorway chargers on the way to top up 10/20 miles in 10min just in case.

We have an exclusive which has held up inside pretty well for almost 4 years. The leather looks as good as new.

We frequently go from London to Loughborough on one charge, often leaving us with 30 miles left. Not quite as much in the winter but definitely still do able. There are plenty of motorway chargers on the way to top up 10/20 miles in 10min just in case.

We have an exclusive which has held up inside pretty well for almost 4 years. The leather looks as good as new.
Thanks so much. Is it the 44.5kWh?

100 miles is doable, but it's near the limit for any day/month/season. Under those circumstances I limit myself to 60 miles each way for a go-return trip, unless there is a rapid charger available.

100 miles usually takes 2 hours, which allows the required 20 miles per hour reduction in GOM for use of heater.

Our mk1 interior is very hard wearing. Survived a toddler and all the stickiness and is wipe clean. Exclusive trim. Takes 17 hours on the granny from 21 miles range which is as low as we allow ours to go. Range in winter dropped by “about” 40 miles. Key with long journeys is no more than 60mph and trying not to use fans/heat at all as speed and a/c devour the battery. Hope this helps

100 miles is doable but there are a lot of variables that could affect this.
Battery state of health
Type of driving eg urban rural etc
Method of driving eg lead footed
Tyres (type and pressure) to lesser extent
Weather that’s rain temperature etc
HVAC settings

I found that if I did short urban trips in winter I would get less range than a longer one of similar distance in the same weather. I believe this is likely due to the hvac having to heat the cabin every time. It doesn’t have pre conditioning, I think you might use more electricity sat in the car waiting for it to defrost than you would preconditioning it but I am happy to be corrected.
You will get a few more miles in eco but wrap up warm in winter as the heating is rather weak.
In short I don’t think you will have a problem in summer but caution is advisable in winter.
Hope this helps.

100 miles in winter is certainly doable but if you're driving in heavy rain or headwind on a motorway or dual carriageway with little opportunity for regen so you may be down to single figures range/battery percentage at the end of a 100-mile trip. I'm about 130 miles from Rugby MOTO Services and in winter I'd arrive with 3 to 5% when I plugged in during winter providing it was dry but if raining or windy I'd grab a few extra kWh at Cambridge Services en route. It's best to drive 5 to 10 mph below whatever the speed limit it has a big impact on extending the battery range. Nominally the ZS Gen 1 is 163 miles range but in mid-summer, I often saw over 180 miles on full charge and around 130 to 136 miles in mid-winter.

I've got a mk1 ZSEV Exclusive had it since December '19 19000 miles covered. The leather/vinyl trim on the outside of the drivers seat is peeling/ split. It just passed it's MOT last year. MOT cautionary, corroded brakes. Also at the service they reported a perished condenser. Range apppears to be about 140miles now in current weather conditions. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20231007_140312.jpg
    20231007_140312.jpg
    604.2 KB · Views: 46
I've got a mk1 ZSEV Exclusive had it since December '19 19000 miles covered. The leather/vinyl trim on the outside of the drivers seat is peeling/ split. It just passed it's MOT last year. MOT cautionary, corroded brakes. Also at the service they reported a perished condenser. Range apppears to be about 140miles now in current weather conditions. Hope this helps.
I had exactly the same at about 2½ years old, but fortunately not quite as long a split and it made no difference when I traded it in

Hi all,

Have had MG5 LR Exclusive for 18-months and love it. Now looking to change our second ICE car for a MK1 ZS.

We regularly travel a 100 mile route with no chargers and I was wondering if the range on the ZS MK1 would be sufficient for this? We’d granny charge overnight at our destination (how long does a granny charge to full take?).

Also, anyone any experiences with how the MK1 interior wears as there is a choice between the Excite and Exclusive trims?

Thanks so much for any help,
Simon
Hi Simon, I've had our October 2021 ZS EV Gen 1 car since October, she has done about 19,000 km.
She is charged overnight from a quality outdoor socket from midnight to 8am and is always fully charged on that regime.

During the warmer months my range is about 300 km (190 miles approx) and during cooler periods about 240 km (150 miles.).

The model names in France are different to UK but ours is the all singing all dancing one with faux leather seats, and is standing up to general wear and tear very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Simon, I took delivery of my Sept 2020 ZS MK1 Exclusive under PCP in June, on a 2.5 year contract as a first cautious dip into the full EV experience (from a 3.7L V6 SUV, owned for 6 years which I loved!).

Perhaps too early to say before my first winter in the ZS - chosen for largest space at best value with a 7.2 kW home chargepoint install bundled deal from the main dealer - but I'm a convert to EV and might buy instead of lease next time. Aside from the cheeks-numbingly firm faux leather driver's seat swab, after 2,500 miles since June, I'm very happy with the MK1, too. It passed its initial MoT first time with no advisories, 20,000 miles just ticked and I'm the second keeper.

From a starting GOM-estimated range of 140miles on Friday (balmy 21-degrees in Oct), I drove a non-stop 86 miles at a 50-60mph pace in traffic on rural single-lane A-roads, more leisurely than my usual 20-mile round trip on dual-carr. 70mph commuter dashes (hooligan mode on occasion). The GOM registered 50-miles remaining, greeted by a unexpected free 7.2 kW chargepoint at my destination (woo). My usual charge regime typically reflects GOM-estimated ranges of 147-155 based on my driving style, although periodic reset with the Ohme app puts it back to the factory 163 miles. After the freebie charge yesterday though, the GOM read 170 miles (woo to the hoo).

One journey may not seem representative, but the context may help

Some further observations for you:

1. Before opting for the ZS, I was impressed by a test drive of an MG5, which I now think has more comfortable seats, but the ZS MK1 Exclusive edged it for visibility, more precise handling and, well, fun (who knew?) In 'S' mode, it certainly matches my old ICE 3.7L for acceleration, with the KERS '3' mode fab for one-pedal regen.

2. A sweeping generalisation, of course, though the MK1 also seems to be more reliable and (electronically) less glitchy than the LR MK2 and MG4, from anecdotes of those I know who have them, aside from forum viewpoints.

3. The three-year-old interior still shines as new. Everything in mine works as it should, bearing in mind some limitations of the MK1, such as the non-sync with the MG app and that the satnav isn't world-class. I've not made time to play with all of the ZS features - haven't figured out how the MG Pilot parallel-park whizz works yet. The Exclusive is well-specced, yet the absence of front fog lights seems bizarre to me. I suspect that I'd have preferred the cloth seats on the Excite, but if I recall correctly those aren't heated?

4. Aircon hasn't reduced the range much at all for me, nor the heated faux leather seats, whereas the heater itself appears to impact my range more so.

5. The overall trip meter figures indicate that, after 2,500 miles, I'm achieving 3.5 miles per kWh. As I said, I can be lead-footed, which means that you could manage your 100-mile journeys far better than I.

I can probably share more, although hopefully these thoughts help clarify. All the best with your choice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom