ZS Pulling 1.66kW for over 3 hours after full charge

PaulC82

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
My ZS has reached 100% charge but is still pulling 1.66kW for over 3 hours now! Anyone know what’s going on? Never noticed this behaviour before, it usually ramps down and sits at 0.10kW for a few minutes after charge completion, but never this before!!

Attachments

• IMG_0452.jpeg
    IMG_0452.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 52
When was the last time you went to 100%? Probably a prolonged cell balance.
Always charged to 100% - it's the Standard Range ZS I have, but will usually sit at 92% charge after being driven back from work where it is most often charged from.

It finally finished after about 3.75 hours!

"Tha manual explains the process."
Don't take away my manhood. Manual?
Get in. Press buttons. Then cry "Oops".

Yes. The actual engagement of "cell balancing". Can take hours.
Which kind of negates the argument of "Don't charge above 80% or it will damage your cells. Oh, and also don't run out of juice. That will damage them as well"

I, always, home charge ..... when it needs it!! 4 hours on the octopus tariff, while I'm asleep, is fine. Only "long journeys" do I charge it up to 100%.
In other words, I treat it just like my beloved Galaxy diesel. Never ever filled that up. £20 in, max, unless longer trips. £20 was 140 miles.

Don't let charging bother you. You have a warranty on your battery. If it goes wrong, your dealer can spend the money charging and balancing.

You don't need 100% every time

I have a ZS EV LR (Australian). It is 3 months old. Can any of you tell me if the charge indicator LED's next to the charge port stay solid green when balancing occurs? Normally it is pulsing when charging.

I have seen my SR ZS EV do this, drawing 400w after charging is finished.
I can trigger this by remotely opening the doors and letting them lock again after the 30 seconds time out.
I hope it is doing something useful like balancing the battery.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom