ZS Trophy v Trophy Connect

Is there no SIM card in the Trophy or SE?

If not, how does the app communicate with the car and vice versa?

How does the car communicate with the rescue services in case of a breakdown/collision?

There will be some sort of GSM device in all models to enable that sort of functionality. Miles gave a bit more info on who it is in the link below:

There will be some sort of GSM device in all models to enable that sort of functionality. Miles gave a bit more info on who it is in the link below:

👍. To follow up.....

Will the Trophy and SE be capable of OTA updates? as the video said it is one of the differences between Trophy and Connect. I was under the impression all models were OTA updates ready.

How can we get OTA on SE or Trophy when they do not have internet connection? Is there a different way to do it?

How can we get OTA on SE or Trophy when they do not have internet connection? Is there a different way to do it?
No 100% sure how but I'm assuming they have the communications equipment, but I guess the service thats provided by the network is different? Or the hotspot is disabled. The infotainment screen software is different on non-connect cars too. (slightly different layout, no Amazon Music, no voice commands)

Maybe like my old Prius, it has Wi-Fi but no SIM, so you could connect to any WiFi router.
Or alternatively, using a phone as a hotspot.

then the app wouldn't work unless there was a wifi signal it could connect to.
Good point, so how does the app connect, as I was thinking it connected through Bluetooth or WiFi signal from the phone to Bluetooth or WiFi from the car ?

Good point, so how does the app connect, as I was thinking it connected through Bluetooth or WiFi signal from the phone to Bluetooth or WiFi from the car ?
it has to have a network signal to work so that would suggest that all cars have SIMs but only the Connect has the software that allows the 'connecty-type' stuff to happen.

it has to have a network signal to work so that would suggest that all cars have SIMs but only the Connect has the software that allows the 'connecty-type' stuff to happen.
hmm, this has got me thinking... if there was a way of loading the connect's software on a non-connect... would it then become connect?!!! :O

On the infotainment screen, under Settings -->System I found an Update button. When I pressed that, it tried to do something and came back saying no updates and updated the time of the check on the screen to today. May be that meant OTA update. Am not sure. May be @Miles Roberts CG can shed some light when he is back or may be @Sam Luscombe ?

hmm, this has got me thinking... if there was a way of loading the connect's software on a non-connect... would it then become connect?!!! :O
I had the same question too. The fact that the car is able to communicate with the iSmart app remotely(without bluetooth or internet connectivity) means there has to be an e-sim or some technology within the car and the difference between connect and non connect version would just be enabling/disabling the services. 2 other points support this theory 1.They have the voice command button on non-connect cars which is pretty useless on those cars. 2. The cost difference is just £500. So I thought its just the matter of enabling/disabling connected services! And possibly upgrading the software on the infotainment system.

I reached out to @Miles Roberts CG and he kindly responded with the following:

"It isn't possible to upgrade a car from Trophy to Trophy Connect. There is a different ECU which handles the voice controls, and a different SIM contract (paid for by MG) which provides the Amazon Prime music streaming. There is also a different firmware for the infotainment system, as it has a number of different menus and screens. Personally, I don't see the benefit of Connect (I use Android Auto for my music streaming, and data plans are cheap these days anyway)"

I would think the OTA updates would use the same connection the App does. I out a link further up in the thread about what that is.

On the infotainment screen, under Settings -->System I found an Update button.
This is plausible for updating infotainment and satnav etc. Does it also carryout OTA updates of vehicle software such as BMS etc or are those push updates by MG?

I understand the Tesla OTA updates are push updates by the manufacturer and not owner/driver initiated updates.

This is plausible for updating infotainment and satnav etc. Does it also carryout OTA updates of vehicle software such as BMS etc or are those push updates by MG?

I understand the Tesla OTA updates are push updates by the manufacturer and not owner/driver initiated updates.
I shall try and reach out to my dealer and confirm this from them on how are the OTA's expected? Do we need to visit them(defeats the purpose of OTA) or does it happen via a push from MG etc.

"It isn't possible to upgrade a car from Trophy to Trophy Connect. There is a different ECU which handles the voice controls, and a different SIM contract (paid for by MG) which provides the Amazon Prime music streaming. There is also a different firmware for the infotainment system, as it has a number of different menus and screens. Personally, I don't see the benefit of Connect (I use Android Auto for my music streaming, and data plans are cheap these days anyway)"
I remember asking the same question on one of the early Monday night pod cast’s with Miles and the guy’s.
He provided a very similar answer on the night.
The Trophy is lacking both certain hardware and software that is required to make voice command possible on the Trophy I-connect.
He made is perfectly clear, that std Trophy models can not be updated at a latter date.
He also made the comment that although all models do have over the air capabilities, some certain updates MAY still require a visit to the dealership.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom