Amun

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
There is a thread in the MG4 section, which suggests that 10-100% charging is required every so often - apparently this is mentioned in the MG4 manual.

I can't find anything in the MG5 manual that suggests that this is necessary - only charging to 100% and allowing equalisation to take place every so often.

So - is it necessary?

Hi, I have an SR Excite and charge from anything between 30-50% back up to 80-85% and monthly to 100% to balance the cells.
I haven't seen were it says the 4 need to be done from 10%.

I haven't seen were it says the 4 need to be done from 10%.
Page 295 of the MG4 manual - there's a thread in the MG4 section, as well

Actually, it does say the same on page 244 of the MG5 manual, as follows (my italics) :-

"When using the vehicle on a daily basis, it is recommended to fully charge it at least once a week, which is conducive to the health maintenance of the high-voltage battery pack; every 3 months to half a year, a low-power (less than 10% or 1 grid) full charged is performed"

I missed it as I was looking under Equalisation, not Maintenance

Fully charging yes but 10% to 100%? no. If you charge your car on AC (at home usually) once a month or so to 100% you'll be fine. To be honest unless you are doing a massive amount of DC rapid charging you'll not notice any difference.

every 3 months to half a year, a low-power (less than 10% or 1 grid) full charged is performed"
This has nothing to do with cell balancing, rather this procedure is required to measure and update the battery’s capacity (SOH).

Fully charging yes but 10% to 100%? no. If you charge your car on AC (at home usually) once a month or so to 100% you'll be fine. To be honest unless you are doing a massive amount of DC rapid charging you'll not notice any difference.
But why would they put it in the manual if it isn't required?

This has nothing to do with cell balancing, rather this procedure is required to measure and update the battery’s capacity (SOH).
Indeed it is, and it is a standard maintenance procedure for basically anything with a rechargeable battery, such as an EV, mobile phone, or laptop.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom