12V battery low warning light HS PHEV

Just received suggested battery from Tayna batteries. They suggest 027 ENDUROLINE CAR BATTERY 60AH. They also stock the same battery for start stop cars! One is wet technology the start stop one is agm. Not sure which I need. Any help would be appreciated.

Just recenly replaced battery on my 2021HS PHEV after being stranded . Foolishly i had ignored the warning . needed Tom from the AA who replaced the battery and informed me that in his experience the MG batteries are warranted for 1 year only. we live and learn !

Today my PHEV started tooting the horn but at a very sickly volume. Nothing at all worked. It kept intermittently tooting at a more and more feeble effort. I climbed into back and manually (with a screw driver) opened the hatch, measured my battery voltage at about 7 volts. Called MG assist, a guy came and jump started with a hand carried pack. He made a statement, "it seems that the MG's sometimes just need a boost". The dash immediately displayed the normal 14ish Volts. This car is a little scary at times.

Today my PHEV started tooting the horn but at a very sickly volume. Nothing at all worked. It kept intermittently tooting at a more and more feeble effort. I climbed into back and manually (with a screw driver) opened the hatch, measured my battery voltage at about 7 volts. Called MG assist, a guy came and jump started with a hand carried pack. He made a statement, "it seems that the MG's sometimes just need a boost". The dash immediately displayed the normal 14ish Volts. This car is a little scary at times.
How long has the car been standing with out use

I do a 144km drive at least once a week, maybe twice. Rest are < 60km. The battery would be 2yrs old, I suspecting it's faltering, probably a monitoring system draining it 24/7. I also gather that when charging the 380V 16ah battery the 12V battery doesn't get a charge. Go figure.

I also note, that the warning toots that warned of a low 12V battery continued until there was insufficient voltage to make the horn work. A self fulfilling prophecy. I think the software engineers could do with a little schooling.

Ok that should keep the 12v battery fully charged so your battery may need to be replaced.

I also note, that the warning toots that warned of a low 12V battery continued until there was insufficient voltage to make the horn work. A self fulfilling prophecy. I think the software engineers could do with a little schooling.
You find most things work this way when there low voltage.

I have a 12v charger at home, I'll be there tomorrow after a 144km run. I just hope I don't have to call MG assist to get going in 8 hours time. It seems there is a threshold voltage below which the system will not "boot". Once it boots I think the Traction battery charges the 12V battery.

Sit in the car in ready mode for 30 minutes to charge the 12v battery, that will give you a chance of been ok

If you can get into ready mode, why wait? Just drive. The battery is charging. The real problem is getting to ready mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom