19% soc charging speed SR

Why do you assume it's an MG issue? It could be just as easily a charger issue.
now that i have crunch simple math..
we know that
watt= volts x amps.
we know that our car is 51kwh battery is 400 volts arhitecture.
so back to the previous broschure data. we can charge up to max speed of 117 kwh.
that means. the rapid charger cable and configs needs to be at least.

117kwh= 400 volts x 292.5 amps

but in reality....

87 kwh = 400 volts x 217.5 amps.

so... it all depends on the charger.. they might say its a 180kwh charger...
to be able to dish out such power...

we need to have multiple factors.

180kwh = 400 volts x 450 amps ( is there such a cable that rated as 450 amps)

or lets use the ioniq 5 example with 800 volts battery architecture

180kwh = 800 volts x 225 amps ( which i think its common to find 200+ amps cable in the public chargers.

so if i were to use the above factor to match our mg4 architecture

87kwh = 400volts x 217 amps...( again 200+ amps cable specs)

so im guessing its really not our problem for not getting close to the 117kwh charging speed...
its because of the 400v battery architecture and the specifications of the amperage of the cable..

( is there such a cable that rated as 450 amps)

Sure, the big old 350kW chargers tend to have 500A cables (obviously you're not going to be getting anywhere near 350kW on a 400V architecture but MG never claimed you would). The 150kW chargers tend to be ~350A rated cables which would be plenty for 117kW@400V.

Also none of this would explain how the LR + Trophy get higher charging speeds from the same chargers with the same voltage architecture. This is definitely a limitation on the battery side, not the chargers.

Sure, the big old 350kW chargers tend to have 500A cables (obviously you're not going to be getting anywhere near 350kW on a 400V architecture but MG never claimed you would). The 150kW chargers tend to be ~350A rated cables which would be plenty for 117kW@400V.

Also none of this would explain how the LR + Trophy get higher charging speeds from the same chargers with the same voltage architecture. This is definitely a limitation on the battery side, not the chargers.
1697703751297.png

i think... ure right.. its the limitation on the software on the SR. both LR and Extended share the 400v architecture... why are they getting 140kw while we're stuck at 90kwh...
edit: could it be the NMC chemistry battery is able to withstand more bang than the LFP battery?

it is not uncommon that the chargers are derated..ive seen videos of people testing chargers all over the place...

now that i have crunch simple math..
we know that
watt= volts x amps.
we know that our car is 51kwh battery is 400 volts arhitecture.
so back to the previous broschure data. we can charge up to max speed of 117 kwh.
that means. the rapid charger cable and configs needs to be at least.

117kwh= 400 volts x 292.5 amps

but in reality....

87 kwh = 400 volts x 217.5 amps.

so... it all depends on the charger.. they might say its a 180kwh charger...
to be able to dish out such power...

we need to have multiple factors.

180kwh = 400 volts x 450 amps ( is there such a cable that rated as 450 amps)

or lets use the ioniq 5 example with 800 volts battery architecture

180kwh = 800 volts x 225 amps ( which i think its common to find 200+ amps cable in the public chargers.

so if i were to use the above factor to match our mg4 architecture

87kwh = 400volts x 217 amps...( again 200+ amps cable specs)

so im guessing its really not our problem for not getting close to the 117kwh charging speed...
its because of the 400v battery architecture and the specifications of the amperage of the cable..
You have too much time on your hands ;)

You have too much time on your hands ;)
haha i was thinking..
should i buy a voltage regulator and tweak the settings to about 250volts...since the oem port charger is rated up to 260volts.
this way...
250volts x 9 amp = 2.25kwh charging speed hahaha
then i saw the price of a regulator that can do 3kw rating.. i said nope... lol

Last edited:
Could be that newer veil
View attachment 20948

i think... ure right.. its the limitation on the software on the SR. both LR and Extended share the 400v architecture... why are they getting 140kw while we're stuck at 90kwh...
edit: could it be the NMC chemistry battery is able to withstand more bang than the LFP battery?
I believe there are models of the Cyberster that use the 800v version of the platform.

LFP chemistry can't charge at the same high rates as NMC - this is just one of the "performance" advantages of NMC: ability to receive and dispense at higher rates. LFP is also more susceptible to low temperatures, so battery heating is more relevant.

However, LFP has some advantages too: deeper cycle lifetime and less damage when charging to (or holding at) 100%.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back