19% soc charging speed SR

halogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Went to 180kw charger station...
Disappointed as I only get up to 87kwh charging speed...
Dammit mg stop giving false advertising

Attachments

• 20231017_105827.jpg
    20231017_105827.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_20231017-110319_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231017-110319_Gallery.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 108
Do you still get losses with DC charging. I thought, and maybe incorrectly, that you only suffered losses with AC charging as the on board inverter then gets involved

There are still losses with DC charging (resistive heating in the cables + losses in the actual battery) but they should be much less than with AC - I'd estimate you should be looking at <5% loss with DC vs potentially 20%+ with AC.

This is an issue of early advertising by MG of a charging speed for the SR that was never achieved by the car as sold. In an earlier thread someone suggested that the 117 Kw figure was an aspiration by the design engineers, but it never made it into the production model. Later published specs have amended this to 88 Kw, which seems realistic, and a few people have reported getting around 90 Kw. (The best I've noticed on mine is 85 Kw.)

Here is a charging graph for the SR, it's the red line that doesn't jump around.

1697541326497.png

In fact I have seen it reported that overall charging time as the car actually exists is just as good as might have been achieved with the 117 Kw figure, because that would probably have been maintained for only a short time. The 88 Kw (or whatever) is maintained for a decent length of time and the car goes on charging pretty well as the SoC increases, giving a pretty decent total charge time on an ultra-rapid.

Latest information from MG now states max charge of 87Kw for the SE SR (can't find it now...)

Edit - found it on the Australian website

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-17-13-09-46-302_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-17-13-09-46-302_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 92
Latest information from MG now states max charge of 87Kw for the SE SR (can't find it now...)

Edit - found it on the Australian website
do you have information for ac charging? what would be the max kwh speed for SR ac charging? was it 7kwh or 6.6 kwh?

Not quite ... your loss will be based on the amps drawn by the car versus the amps drawn from the supply - the difference is your efficiency loss. What's stamped on the cable is simply the maximum that the cable can continuously support.

My SE SR shows 5.1kw however the AC charger station shows 6.5kw, sometimes 6.8kw but the car always shows 5.1kw regardless. Is +1 kw loss within spec? Or is this perhaps a bug / issue with the old SE software.
I also charge my Tesla with 3-phase 11kw with not so high levels of efficiency loss.

When I'm charging at home I typically see 6.4kW in the iSmart app and 6.8kW in the Wallbox app, so 95% nominal efficiency, but that overall figure drops once the balance charge process is taken into account.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 528 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back