1st 100% charge.

The charge rate is typically between 20W and 80W whilst balancing (compared with almost 7000W whilst charging).
For the SR LFP battery yes, the LR NMC typically draws more power, but still less than 7kW, mine drops down progressively to 2kW and steps from there, not sure how low it goes.

In terms of balancing time ... my LFP pack takes about 30 mins or so; anecdotally the NMC pack can take up to 2 hours to finish balancing. (I guess it depends on how "out of balance" the BMS thinks the pack is).

Well, I changed the 'cutoff tariff' on my Ohme Charger and let it finish without interruption. Looks like it took about 60 minutes to balance and then the car turned off by herself. Not really sure what I've learned from today!

Long drive tomorrow so let's see what the range looks like - saying 306 miles but that is before I switch to Eco mode ...

That sounds about right, can take a few hours the first time you balance the battery, having said that I have only charged to 100% twice in the almost 18 months I have had the car.
You've had the MG4 for 18 months?

Set a 50% limit today to make sure it stopped before solar run out. It finished around 17:20 and the app showed still charging but 0.0kW, my plug monitor showed a drain of 135w, this remained at this level for 45 minutes with neither the %age or range changing, once I stopped the charge with the app, the drain dropped to 1w. I wonder if it was trying to balance charge.

I think mine kept doing this at 0.2kwh at 80% for at least 30 minutes before halting the charging completely. Haven't tried 100% yet.

Set a 50% limit today to make sure it stopped before solar run out. It finished around 17:20 and the app showed still charging but 0.0kW, my plug monitor showed a drain of 135w, this remained at this level for 45 minutes with neither the %age or range changing, once I stopped the charge with the app, the drain dropped to 1w. I wonder if it was trying to balance charge.

I think mine kept doing this at 0.2kwh at 80% for at least 30 minutes before halting the charging completely. Haven't tried 100% yet.
It will be doing a balance charge but only to balance the cells at that percentage. You will still need to do a balance charge at 100%

It will be doing a balance charge but only to balance the cells at that percentage. You will still need to do a balance charge at 100%
Ive got a couple of longer trips coming up so will try a 100% then. At present I'm just trying to give the battery a few cycles in the 30-80% range rather than keep using the solar to keep it around 80%.

I note that the app (in yet another new release) is showing the power drawn to two significant figures after the decimal point. I've never seen it not do that, to be honest. Definitely getting a reading of 1.85 Kw (on the granny charger) last night.

I don't understand why people are only seeing one significant figure.

Odd, IOS is still showing version 1.1.3 as the latest from 3 weeks ago. This is what I see.
IMG_2164.PNG

I note that the app (in yet another new release) is showing the power drawn to two significant figures after the decimal point. I've never seen it not do that, to be honest. Definitely getting a reading of 1.85 Kw (on the granny charger) last night.

I don't understand why people are only seeing one significant figure.
Mine is the same ( three figures I use a granny and typically the car will pull 1.85 kw/hr while charging and 0.08 kw/h when balancing

This time I used the Tapo to monitor what happened at 100%. Having reached 100%/300 miles it carried on consuming 2250w for around 15 minutes more, the app dropped to 0.0kW but the the Tapo showed 178w being consumed for another 15 minutes it then dropped to <1w. So it looks as though a balance takes around 30 minutes after the SOC reaches 100%
IMG_2295.PNG

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel