2.0 miles/kWh, normal in this cold weather? (UK)

Monday, Norwich to Cannock, I hate the M6, Tuesday Cannock to Dumfries and back to Cannock, I hate the M6 even more than I did yesterday. Wednesday Cannock back to Norwich. I hate the M6 with a passion you could photograph. Temps were between -3 and 11C over the three days, driven in ‘Normal’ mode, reasonably intelligent right foot and over the whole trip I managed 2.2 miles per kW if that helps at all. Did I mention I hate the M6? Couldn’t wait to get back to sleepy old Norfolk 😜
Alright Ade as a fellow Norfolk person have you noticed scratches on the plastic rear side panels near the back windows yet? I often have to squeeze basically in to hedges to let other cars past. Just checking it's not just me.

Alright Ade as a fellow Norfolk person have you noticed scratches on the plastic rear side panels near the back windows yet? I often have to squeeze basically in to hedges to let other cars past. Just checking it's not just me.
Oh… I haven’t looked. I have to go outside to the garage, I’ll have a look.

I did an 80 mile round-trip today in the pouring rain and speeds up to about 77. HVAC when needed to clear windows and heated seat and s/wheel on. Was in Sport mode with OPD the whole time and ended up with 3.0 mi/kWh

I did an 80 mile round-trip today in the pouring rain and speeds up to about 77. HVAC when needed to clear windows and heated seat and s/wheel on. Was in Sport mode with OPD the whole time and ended up with 3.0 mi/kWh
Has to be because the temps are up a bit today. Oh… 77 😳 naughty 🤣

You have to take into consideration the terrain when checking MPK And MPG

The way I see it. Bobtherock, they’re all lemons. Wouldn’t have bought my mg4 trophy back in March if winter range was less than 200 miles, ( and much less if in a hurry)which it is for at least 4 months of the year. I know it’s same for all ev’s, but …

I don't know how I knew about the winter range thing when I bought my car, but I remember asking the dealer if a 100-mile round trip would be practical (in an SR) at sub-zero temperatures with the heater on at motorway speeds, and he said yes. So far this seems to be the case. In summer I get back from that trip on 47-48% battery, worst I have seen in winter so far has been 33% although I'm sure it will get worse than that.

I'm seeing numbers between 2.0 and about 2.7 miles/KWh at the moment, it's just how it is. It's not bothering me as I still have enough range to do what I want. I could imagine it would be a bit of a bummer if you regularly needed to do a trip you can no longer do on one charge though.

I'd love to know how the range is with the heat pump versions, if it's significantly better I'd definitely let it affect my next EV purchase

For the people who do the school run and it stays at 2.0mi/kWh the whole time, I get the same, and was wondering if there was an issue. One thing of note - the usage graph in the battery section doesn't work for me on my current software - anyone else getting these numbers have the same problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
It was 10 Degrees this morning and on my usual commute to work i managed a 3.0 (never seen it that high in my short ownership) last week when it was freezing it was 2.2...even more reason to be excited for the summer now :)

A relatively balmy 9 deg C today so I didn't put the heat on and got 4.3mi/kWh on my 3 mile outward journey.

To be fair the range in (MPG) in an ICE car will be very different in Winter and Summer. The thing with an EV is the time it takes to refill the tank (battery) in comparison. knock 50 miles off the range of an ICE vehicle and you might add 5 - 10 mins for an extra fuel stop, in an EV you could be adding 30 - 60 minutes. So more impact

With an EV if you can charge at home you can be doing something else like sleeping while it recharges. With an ICE car its recommended to stay awake when refuelling.

Its back to recharge when you can not when you need to.

A relatively balmy 9 deg C today so I didn't put the heat on and got 4.3m/kWh on my 3 mile outward journey.

When I was 8 my dad had a Ford Anglia without a heater. However it's now 2023 and I wouldn't live at home without the heating on, nor would I dream of going in a car without the heater set to about 20°C (ie 25 on the MG). If the temp is 9 degrees outside I'd think that was freezing cold!

When I was 8 my dad had a Ford Anglia without a heater. However it's now 2023 and I wouldn't live at home without the heating on, nor would I dream of going in a car without the heater set to about 20C (ie 25 on the MG). If the temp is 9 degrees outside I'd think that was freezing cold!
I worked outside for many years and became acclimatised to the cold and prefer to be cold rather than hot. I always say you can always put another jumper or coat on if you're cold but there's not too much you can do if you're too hot.
I do have the heater on in the car if I feel cold I was putting it on at 26 or 27°C (21-22 real world) when it was frosty and getting <2mi/kWh, when I felt too warm I lowered it to 23C (18) which felt more comfortable for me and the mi/kWh went up to 2.3.
The heater seems to be getting better the more I use it, earlier on in the year a setting of 23°C seemed to blow only cold air out and I had to increase it above 25°C to get any warm air at all, now it's blowing warm at 23°C and hot at 24°C.

To be fair the range in (MPG) in an ICE car will be very different in Winter and Summer. The thing with an EV is the time it takes to refill the tank (battery) in comparison. knock 50 miles off the range of an ICE vehicle and you might add 5 - 10 mins for an extra fuel stop, in an EV you could be adding 30 - 60 minutes. So more impact
Added 50 miles at a supercharger the other day, took 10 minutes
My usual motorway drive from Reading to east London (m4, m25, m11) took only 10 minutes longer than Apple Maps was quoting
With 10 C and in normal mode with regular auto a/c set to 22C (actual 19C in cabin) which is plenty warm for me.
Used TJA and Adaptive regen
Luckily no need to preheat cabin nor battery which is what kills economy in the first few miles.
Picture was taken the next day after charging a bit so ignore that
IMG_1233.jpeg

Last edited:
Added 50 miles at a supercharger the other day, took 10 minutes
My usual motorway drive from Reading to east London (m4, m25, m11) took only 10 minutes longer than Apple Maps was quoting
With 10 C and in normal mode with regular auto a/c set to 22C (actual 19C in cabin) which is plenty warm for me.
Used TJA and Adaptive regen
Luckily no need to preheat cabin nor battery which is what kills economy in the first few miles.
Picture was taken the next day after charging a bit so ignore that
View attachment 22155
I’m sorry, what is your point?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 85 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video