2022 SR trophy charging speed

Nickr

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi everyone, I have only charged 4 times upto now all on a 7kw charger but I have not seen the charge rate go over 3.5 kwhr, has anyone else seen this ?

Is it a new charger? If so, is it setup for 7Kw?
Any chance that you are looking at 30min slots from your smart meter so that 3.5kwh in 30 mins is actually 7kwh in an hour?

Any chance that you are looking at 30min slots from your smart meter so that 3.5kwh in 30 mins is actually 7kwh in an hour?
I will try that, I have tried it on 3 different chargers, 1 at home (pod point solo)and that was changed from 3 to 7kw with dip switches inside along with cable. Others were labeled as 7kw

Last edited by a moderator:
The readings are taken from the app, and it looks right by how much charge is put in the battery, I had a leaf for 4 years so I hope I know what to expect

I have a SR and it charges around 6.6 kW for me on my home charger. Easier way to measure is to calculate based on how much SOC gets added. 100% is approx 50 kWh(battery size). So if you start the charge at 20% and charge for 4 hrs, at 6.5 kW x 4h = around 25 kWh, that about 50% of the battery. So you should end up with around 70%(if you started at 20%) after 4 hrs. According to you what you are saying at 3.5kW, are you ending up with an approx 15% added to SOC only after 4 hours?

[ Edited Coulomb: units ]

Just checking your not using a 16amp cable as it needs to be a 32amp to get 7kw there is a resistor in the cable that tells the charger what size it is

Just checking your not using a 16amp cable as it needs to be a 32amp to get 7kw there is a resistor in the cable that tells the charger what size it is
32a tethered at home, MG type 2 supplied with car when out and about. Tried 2 different charge points away from home.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220407_042527_com.saicmotor.iov.europe.jpg
    Screenshot_20220407_042527_com.saicmotor.iov.europe.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 121
Started charge this morning at 00.30 @40% finished 4.30 @54%
Yep that's not good and you said it's the same on over charges I would probably if it was me try a battery reset ie discount the 12v battery from the negative - terminal 🔋for like 10/15 minutes and if still the same would have to go to dealer
do you know anyone else with a electric car? could be worth getting them to plug in your charger to confirm its working at 7kw so you have proof when it go's back to dealer so the can't fob you off with load balancing or something at your end

32a tethered at home, MG type 2 supplied with car when out and about. Tried 2 different charge points away from home.
Is it possible that the cable is a three-phase 11KW cable ?
You would get around 3,7KW on one phase, because the SR model have a single-phase charger

I have an SR and have to say that I never have trouble with charging speeds from a fast charge, always around 6.6Kw. I did once pull 1.84Kw from my own charger but that's because I had it on Smart mode. Used the RFID card to override and it was fine.

Cable is a 7.5m 32A single phase type 2.

@Nickr one thing I would like to ask is when was your last 100% charge as its recommended to charge the SR to 100 maybe you batterys need to balance?

Last 100% was last weekend, going to try the 12v battery uncouple shortly see what that does
If you have tried 2 other, reliable ( known good ) 7 kW AC posts with the type 2 cable provided by the dealer and the car is still only requesting roughly 3.6 kW.
Then it has to be a problem with the car surely ?.
Does it rapid charge okay ?.
It bypasses the inverter when using a DC rapid.
I had a problem when I first received my car back after it had the BMS update.
When I placed the car on charge, it would only charge at 3.6 kW.
I noticed this on my home energy meter.
One time it would hit 3.6 kW and go above this figure.
The next time, it would hit just over 7 kW ???.
I monitored it over about 2 weeks and then it started hitting 7.0 kW every time ??>
I can offer no explanation of this strange behaviour.
It did NOT behave like this before the BMS update.
I will say, that when monitoring this strange behaviour, what I did learn is this.
When the car is requested to charge, the current provided to the car from the wall box, is done in a "Stepped Type Fashion".
I spotted this on my energy meter.
It briefly commences the charge at 3.6 kW then after a small pause, it would then jump shapely up to 7.0kW.
Maybe .......... ????????.
Your car is failing to increase up to the max 7. kW ?.
I also discovered that it works in a similar fashion when performing a full charge.
A wall box will supply the max 7.0 kW until it reaches about 98% and then the car will ramp done the charge to 3.6 kW before finishing, when it reaches 100%.
You say, this problem appeared to start after the last full charge last weekend ?.
Does the car somehow believe that the battery is still at a high SOC ?.
After you have tried the 12 volt disconnect etc.
If this is unsuccessful, then this has to be a visit to the dealers, I am sorry.
Looking a lot like a BMS issue surely ??.
Please keep us informed !.

[ Edited moderator: consistent units. ]

Had the car 3 weeks, never gone above 3.5 kW, gonna try a rapid tomorrow on a 120 instalvolt then a local 7kW post others find reliable. Fingers crossed 🤞, Been driving EV 4.5 years now some may think I don't know what I am on about (dealer's) no offense intended to anyone from a Sheffield lad

Had the car 3 weeks, never gone above 3.5 kwhr, gonna try a rapid tomorrow on a 120 instalvolt then a local 7kw post others find reliable. Fingers crossed 🤞, Been driving EV 4.5 years now some may think I don't know what I am on about (dealer's) no offense intended to anyone from a Sheffield lad
I take it the battery reset did not help then

No change, I do appreciate everyone's help on here by the way. I have a very limited vocabulary sorry If I offered anyone

No change, I do appreciate everyone's help on here by the way. I have a very limited vocabulary sorry If I offered anyone
Thank you for posting!.
It's never nice to hear problems that other people are suffering with their cars.
But it does offer a LOT of owners the chance to try and help in any way they can.
In this case, it looks very much like the dealer will have to intervene in this case.
Good luck and please keep us posted !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom