320 Mile Round Trip - My experience

PristDean

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Having just returned from a 320 mile round trip (160 each way) in my new (week old) Trophy on R30, I experienced the following:

1. Using the touch screen whilst driving is a bit like shooting an arrow whilst drunk. When I did hit the correct area on screen, sometimes it responded, sometimes not. Very temperamental
2. The power graph under 'Consumption' is blank, a known bug I know.
3. The programmable star buttons. One on the right to bring up AC, one on the left to change drive modes. When pressing the left, the AC controls come up on screen and drive mode changes too.
4. Generation set to 'Strong'. I find this a lot weaker than the Hyundai I had and the car coasts a fair bit when you release the accelerator.
5. 'Hey MG'.... sometimes works first time, sometimes I can go from whisper to shouting fifty times and nothing... except a punch in the ear from my wife
6. Average consumption 3.6 kw/h
7. Spent about £40 charging, at home and two service station charges. Started at 100%, back home with 28%
8. Car drives amazingly well, feels planted, balanced, quiet and powerful enough
9. LKA was not bad. On the full setting it became a bit confused when met with a white painted arrow in the road but easily controlled. In the end I set to just beep / rumble
10. The speed alert signs (on dash behind steering wheel), quite often wrong for long periods. I turned it off.
11. Cruise control. Despite a button being on the steering wheel you cannot turn it on or off with that button. You have to enter the MG Pilot screen (seen point 1).
12. Travel directions created on the app on my phone then sent to the car, never appear

I'm booking the car in, to be upgraded to R33... hopefully some bug fixes.

Last edited:
11. If you've already* set Cruise Control Mode, and selected ACC (or TJA), then the centre-left steering wheel button engages ACC (or TJA) at the current road speed, and the left joystick up/down adjusts the target speed to 5mph round numbers. If ACC was engaged but kicked out (e.g. you press brake) then a tap up of the left joystick engages it again at the previously-set speed.

* the selection is remembered when the car is locked and turned back on.

I think the R33 update will fix the consumption graph. I know mine works , it might affect your Bluetooth connection if this is currently ok , and cause it to lose the pairing , that's what mine does. So you may fix one thing and break another. The destinations should be there but to access them you have to go into user section and messages , you should see a small message envelope symbol top right on the main screen.

What I experienced is that cruise control could not be turned on or off with the steering wheel cruise control button. I was expecting a long press to enable it or disable it. But that can only be done via the infotainment system I believe.
With cruise control off in the system, the button does nothing at all on the steering wheel. Feels like an MG miss to me.

I think the R33 update will fix the consumption graph. I know mine works , it might affect your Bluetooth connection if this is currently ok , and cause it to lose the pairing , that's what mine does. So you may fix one thing and break another. The destinations should be there but to access them you have to go into user section and messages , you should see a small message envelope symbol top right on the main screen.
Thanks, the navigation on my Hyundai I used to have, It would appear directly on screen when navigation selection selected... "Route X received, navigate to the destination?". So with MG I have to go into messages in the infotainment nav to select and open, then it adds it in to navigate to ?

Soon to get my MG4 Trophy. On my current diesel Honda Civic I can nudge cruise control up or down by 1 mph or alter a setting by up or down to the nearest 10 mph. Does MG only give the +/- 5mph?

Thanks, the navigation on my Hyundai I used to have, It would appear directly on screen when navigation selection selected... "Route X received, navigate to the destination?". So with MG I have to go into messages in the infotainment nav to select and open, then it adds it in to navigate to ?
Yes it should take you to the nav and then you can add it to destinations , I think.

What I experienced is that cruise control could not be turned on or off with the steering wheel cruise control button. I was expecting a long press to enable it or disable it. But that can only be done via the infotainment system I believe.
With cruise control off in the system, the button does nothing at all on the steering wheel. Feels like an MG miss to me.
It works exactly like I described ... you need to FIRST select Cruise Control Mode in the MG Pilot screen, and then choose ACC or TJA. These settings are remembered. THEN you press the middle-left button to actually turn it on/engage ACC/TJA at the current road speed. Toggle up/down on the left joystick to change the target speed.

Press the middle-left button again (or press brake) to disengage ACC/TJA (but NOT turn it off); press again to reengage at the current road speed, OR toggle the joystick up to reengage at the previous target speed.

Yes, that's what I found
Soon to get my MG4 Trophy. On my current diesel Honda Civic I can nudge cruise control up or down by 1 mph or alter a setting by up or down to the nearest 10 mph. Does MG only give the +/- 5mph?

If tap the left control stick up and down, it increases/decreases in 5mph increments. If you hold the stick up or down it increases/decreases in 1mph increments.

Also, as long as you have TJA/ACC enabled, you should be able to activate/deactivate it with a press of the steering wheel button. I'm on r24 but haven't heard of any versions that this doesn't work.

It works exactly like I described ... you need to FIRST select Cruise Control Mode in the MG Pilot screen, and then choose ACC or TJA. These settings are remembered. THEN you press the middle-left button to actually turn it on/engage ACC/TJA at the current road speed. Toggle up/down on the left joystick to change the target speed.

Press the middle-left button again (or press brake) to disengage ACC/TJA (but NOT turn it off); press again to reengage at the current road speed, OR toggle the joystick up to reengage at the previous target speed.
Yep, I understand that, however as mentioned i'd like to see the cruise control button act in a way many will be familiar with. On / Off for the function.

If tap the left control stick up and down, it increases/decreases in 5mph increments. If you hold the stick up or down it increases/decreases in 1mph increments.

Also, as long as you have TJA/ACC enabled, you should be able to activate/deactivate it with a press of the steering wheel button. I'm on r24 but haven't heard of any versions that this doesn't work.
Thanks, sounds like i need to obtain an infotainment manual from sloucher.

Thanks, sounds like i need to obtain an infotainment manual from sloucher.

A screenshot from the manual within iSmart, if it's any use to you. (Page210)

IMG_20230508_183659.jpg

Screenshot_2023-05-08-18-36-25-882-edit_com.saicmotor.iov.europe.jpg

Yep, I understand that, however as mentioned i'd like to see the cruise control button act in a way many will be familiar with. On / Off for the function.
🤷‍♂️
The way it works on my MG4 is not dissimilar to how cruise worked on my Insignia, and the Golf before it. (Except the MG4 has ACC rather than straight CC).

🤷‍♂️
The way it works on my MG4 is not dissimilar to how cruise worked on my Insignia, and the Golf before it. (Except the MG4 has ACC rather than straight CC).
Agreed. When I push the button it activates cruise control at the current speed, when I press it again it cancels it and resumes manual speed control.

Re cruise, it's not too obvious & took me a while to realise but you can learn to time the increments from 1mph to a longer flick/ press for 2/3 mph etc. Aswell as the usual flick for the 5mph increments. After a bit of practice it's probably the most intuitive CC I've used and really like it now.

That's exactly how mine works as well. All from the button and LH joystick.

Totally agree. You set it once and it’s retained. Just use the wheel buttons every other drive. OP is making it out to be a problem its not.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back