320 Mile Round Trip - My experience

I've never had a CC before. I wonder if I'll ever use this one?
Try it. Ive found it will allow you to drive A roads with it braking and accelerate back to your chosen speed automatically. Just guide it round roundabouts on throttle and it will pick up as the steering straightens up. You can go miles without touching accellerator or brakes

Totally agree. You set it once and it’s retained. Just use the wheel buttons every other drive. OP is making it out to be a problem its not.
I am not making it out to be a problem it is not !. You are twisting my view. My view is simply that the function from that button could be better. I'm not explaining it again.

I am not making it out to be a problem it is not !. You are twisting my view. My view is simply that the function from that button could be better. I'm not explaining it again.
I must admit I am not seeing the distinction between the cruise control button doing engage/ready vs on/off. There's no real practical difference - it will not come on until you select it. You do have the ready icon still showing in the display, I suppose that could be very slightly annoying.

To me: active/ready/off is too many states so I quite like the way MG do it.

I must admit I am not seeing the distinction between the cruise control button doing engage/ready vs on/off. There's no real practical difference - it will not come on until you select it. You do have the ready icon still showing in the display, I suppose that could be very slightly annoying.

To me: active/ready/off is too many states so I quite like the way MG do it.
I understand how it works, but, to be clear. It's my view that the function could be turned on or off with a long press of the button on the wheel. Then press to switch between ACC & TJA with the stick manipulating speed, distance etc for each function. My initial impression is that is how it would work, MG do it differently I know, but above is how i'd prefer to see it. It won't change from what it is, so let's leave it there.,

Try it. Ive found it will allow you to drive A roads with it braking and accelerate back to your chosen speed automatically. Just guide it round roundabouts on throttle and it will pick up as the steering straightens up. You can go miles without touching accellerator or brakes

I should take it out for a trial some day. I'm playing catch-up with modern cars in general, having bought my last car in 2009, so it's not only about finding out about EVs.

Agreed, I have driven everywhere on Cruise control for many years. My last two Citroen Berlingos were auto and my son’s trucks and various rental vehicles in USA were too. They’ve all been great but can’t compare with the EV smoothness and sheer responsiveness of my MG ZS or especially now the MG5. I’m reaching for a gear-lever very much less these days, but strangely find driving a manual comes back instantly if I’m “forced” to pilot one these days. My daughter in law has a manual F type “Jagwar” in the States but since my wife can no longer fly I might never get a chance to steal it for a trial 😢

Personally, I have found the ACC to be very poor. On A roads it often slows down to crawl for mild corners. On motorways it piles up behind the car in front and then hits the brakes at the set distance. Once the car in front moves away it hangs back then sticks the boot in to accelerate back up to speed. It's not the pleasant relaxing experience I hoped it would be at all.

On my previous car (VW) ACC smoothly slowed down behind slower cars and again smoothly accelerated back up to speed when the road was clear. It ignored corners on A roads completely mind!

Personally, I have found the ACC to be very poor. On A roads it often slows down to crawl for mild corners. On motorways it piles up behind the car in front and then hits the brakes at the set distance. Once the car in front moves away it hangs back then sticks the boot in to accelerate back up to speed. It's not the pleasant relaxing experience I hoped it would be at all.

On my previous car (VW) ACC smoothly slowed down behind slower cars and again smoothly accelerated back up to speed when the road was clear. It ignored corners on A roads completely mind!
Yes, it is inferior to the VW system. I don't use it on A roads as it gets confused by oncoming traffic in the other lane. Behaves fairly well on the motorway for me though and is easily overridden.

The speedo on the MG4 (on mine at least) is very accurate vs actual speed*, so 5 mph increments works fine for me.

* Comparing indicated speed vs GPS app speed. 70 indicated is 70 GPS; on my previous Insignia I had to set 75 indicated to get 70 GPS.

The speedo on the MG4 (on mine at least) is very accurate vs actual speed*, so 5 mph increments works fine for me.

* Comparing indicated speed vs GPS app speed. 70 indicated is 70 GPS; on my previous Insignia I had to set 75 indicated to get 70 GPS.
It seems the MG4 is very accurate at indicating the actual speed. I wonder if it uses GPS to calibrate the speedo.

Seems to me 1mph CC nudges are for matching your speed to the car in front. I've driven fairly long distances on older cars with my foot off the accelerator, nudging the CC up and down so as not to catch the car in front.

When you have ACC there's no need for that any more. Go at the multiple of 5 you choose, or let the robot match your speed to the car in front.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back