437v

Peter Cresswell

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Good evening everyone,
I would like your thought, after watching a podcast last week on the BMS update. I’ve been concerned about how poor the car is on range, today I fully charged the battery with a 7kw charger until fully charged plus 5 hours with the charger only putting in 0.3 kw, which I imagine is balancing the battery. I took a photo that shows only 437v, does everyone think I need to contact the garage and ask whether I have the old update?
9BBC3DDA-46D4-4ECF-AC0C-830AAFF612F5.jpeg

If it's fully charge then 437V is low. Needs 2021 update if not had already via the delear of your choice.

I would just tell them the range has decreased and see how they respond.

Yes, you have the dodgy update. The healthy, earlier software gives a final voltage of about 455v/456v, the latest update drops that to 449v. You most probably have the update from mid last year that throws the battery balancing all to heck.

I only picked the car up on the 23rd December, I have phoned the garage back at the beginning of February, and was just fobbed off with the excuse that it is my driving styl.
If they do it again then mention the low voltage and a linked to Myles Roberts podcast as evidence of a problem.

I only picked the car up on the 23rd December, I have phoned the garage back at the beginning of February, and was just fobbed off with the excuse that it is my driving styl.
Which MG dealer are you using?
If you can go to MG Glyn Hopkins East London, they did mine and they are good.

That's terrible from them, they should know your car has the big problem, all dealers have been given a list from MG.
What dealer is it?
If it's feasible I would suggest taking it to another one who hopefully knows a bit about what they're selling.

You definitly need to get it fixed/updated ASAP.
You are a pretty long way out 437 vs 455. That is going to take ages to resolve - guesstimate 180 hours of balancing.
The longer you leave it the worse it is going to get and the longer it will take to recover.

If that was me and they don't take responsibility and fix it now, I'd be parking it across their forecourt entrance!

that deff is a fob off find a better dealer or direct them to this forum they may learn somethink

My wife also collected hers on 23rd December and has about the same total charge as you but we received a call last week asking us to take it into the dealer as it had been identified as requiring an update. He couldn't explain what the update was or what it would rectify but claimed it would take about 3 hours.

Was a bit surprised at the call because it is the only dealer follow up since we collected the car, no phone calls, mail anything to see how things were.

Hi, this message is from Miles Roberts. He help me understand how to fix the battery voltage after reinstall the 2021 BMS update.
Screenshot_20210321-130507_Outlook.jpg

How far out of balance, per cell, would be considered ok ?
I know 0.0v would be ideal, mine's about 0.03v, between the max and min cell voltage after balancing, is that good or needs more work ?

It's depending how much your battery is bad.
My was 436v and take around 30 days of 10 hours a day of balancing to recovery and back as normal.

My wife also collected hers on 23rd December and has about the same total charge as you but we received a call last week asking us to take it into the dealer as it had been identified as requiring an update. He couldn't explain what the update was or what it would rectify but claimed it would take about 3 hours.

Was a bit surprised at the call because it is the only dealer follow up since we collected the car, no phone calls, mail anything to see how things were.
I know that feeling all to well !.

How far out of balance, per cell, would be considered ok ?
I know 0.0v would be ideal, mine's about 0.03v, between the max and min cell voltage after balancing, is that good or needs more work ?

A good balanced cells value is 0.01 - 0.02 (10-20mV)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom