• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

5 Reasons MG4 is the best small EV

Not sure if anyone has seen this interview with Matt Watson, rather long but very interesting interview, at around 42 mins into the interview, one of the presenters asked Matt what’s the best EV on the market today, to which he replied MG4!

After sales appears a real bone of contention with not just MG4 owners. Take a look at Citroen Ami owners on YouTube, look up @anthonytube. Some absolutely horrendous problems and after sales care on such a simple & tiny car. Put MG4 after sales and the car into a bit of perspective

I’ve had A ZS, MG5 and now have a MG4 all from the same dealership, Richmond in Portsmouth, and must say that MG as a manufacture definitely sort out software issues very quickly especially compared to other manufacture. The dealership you buy from may be the weak link as they are not MG directly but private companies selling MG products. Richmond made sure my car had all the updates that were available before pickup.
Having done 925 miles now in the 4 I haven’t had any issues and the only niggle is having to switch lane keep assist off at every start up. The car drives great, sport mode you can even power oversteer and push the back end out and the traction control catches it at just the right moment to keep you inline! Great fun car to drive.

Yes there are a few little niggles, but l may be lucky not having to disable anything before driving off other then what l choose, and definitely not lane assist, braking force as always on 3, just wish l didn’t have to turn headlights off every time

Last edited by a moderator:
There will always be owners who are perfectly happy with the MG4, who have no issues, or none that they are aware of or are really that bothered about.

Many will be really pleased with how well it drives - especially if it‘s their first EV - and this will help forgive any minor shortcomings.

Everyone is different and have different standards. What some class as issues, others will find acceptable - LKA for example - some might not be too bothered by it, while others will find it dangerous.

Yes, there are blatant issues that few can miss or avoid, but many issues can go unnoticed or just be accepted and dismissed as a characteristic of the car.

I have driven cars owned by friends only to comment on them not having the steering Wheel straight or pulling slightly to one side, only to be told ‘I‘ve never noticed’ - to me that would be completely unacceptable.
I could probably find a fault on a lot of cars that owners were unaware and perfectly happy with - which is what really matters.

This forum has examples of owners accepting sub standard cars - fitting seat covers to cover up faulty seat cloth for example. Looking to modify themselves their faulty underfloor panels is another.
This to me seems strange behaviour, but to them they are doing what they feel is best for them, and after all it their car to do as they please.

It all highlights that we are all different with different standards and views.
That’s why it’s so difficult to get anything other than a flavour/opinions of issues from a forum and a barometer of what might lie ahead.

So what as been written above by Cocijo is very true everyone’s different the press are raving about it, not that I trust anything they say as a rule, but the car does have issues that need sorting out, some are safety related the locking in and to some degree the LKA I cannot believe that any manufacturer produces any vehicles where the owner driver has to go through a check list before driving it, and if these items defaulting to a setting is to arrive at some criteria laid down by NCAP I would prefer to have the car without it, and let the setup stay where I set it because I am the driver and the owner said vehicle.
My MG5 mk1 never had an NCAP rating but that was never a problem the only thing on that which had a default setting was the drive mode and Regen, flick of a switch changed to your choice no problem, my new MG5 Trophy doesn't change neither as far as I know but this as MG pilot like the MG4 but everything in it stays where it has been set apart from the drive mode again unbelievable just don’t get it and if you do forget to reset items you might not want on trying to change things in the screen while driving is a very dangerous thing to be doing and totally defeats NCAP standards, and don’t none of you Trophy owners out there come back at me with your star button on the wheel to charge these setting you shouldn’t have to they should stay where you left them.
So rant over down to our MG4 SE SR

Well that LKA was on my wife’s car when we collected it and she went of the road with thank goodness due to being a forum member for quite a while I knew what the problem was stop the car while I found it in the menus turn it off and it has stayed that way since and I hope it does after we get the safety recall update done for the door locking thing we have not had that ever buy the way nice are to drive without doubt what’s good lights are very good auto main beam works to so what’s not so good,
the drivers seat is fine for my wife her car short journeys that she does but we did a few longer journeys in it over the last few weeks and they kill my back for sure so don’t suit me Ok short trips and just running about.
No rear wiper big mistake that MG also no interior lighting in the back not good
Heater not great I’m going to speak with the dealer when it goes back for the recall again been once could not do it computer issues.
Wish to god it had an on/off button to switch everything on or off when in get in or out, this switch in the seat is a stupid idea in our view what do you gain left the lights on more than once while unloading shopping etc because they stay on until you lock the car are mess about in the tablet.
Les

So what as been written above by Cocijo is very true everyone’s different the press are raving about it, not that I trust anything they say as a rule, but the car does have issues that need sorting out, some are safety related the locking in and to some degree the LKA I cannot believe that any manufacturer produces any vehicles where the owner driver has to go through a check list before driving it, and if these items defaulting to a setting is to arrive at some criteria laid down by NCAP I would prefer to have the car without it, and let the setup stay where I set it because I am the driver and the owner said vehicle.
My MG5 mk1 never had an NCAP rating but that was never a problem the only thing on that which had a default setting was the drive mode and Regen, flick of a switch changed to your choice no problem, my new MG5 Trophy doesn't change neither as far as I know but this as MG pilot like the MG4 but everything in it stays where it has been set apart from the drive mode again unbelievable just don’t get it and if you do forget to reset items you might not want on trying to change things in the screen while driving is a very dangerous thing to be doing and totally defeats NCAP standards, and don’t none of you Trophy owners out there come back at me with your star button on the wheel to charge these setting you shouldn’t have to they should stay where you left them.
So rant over down to our MG4 SE SR

Well that LKA was on my wife’s car when we collected it and she went of the road with thank goodness due to being a forum member for quite a while I knew what the problem was stop the car while I found it in the menus turn it off and it has stayed that way since and I hope it does after we get the safety recall update done for the door locking thing we have not had that ever buy the way nice are to drive without doubt what’s good lights are very good auto main beam works to so what’s not so good,
the drivers seat is fine for my wife her car short journeys that she does but we did a few longer journeys in it over the last few weeks and they kill my back for sure so don’t suit me Ok short trips and just running about.
No rear wiper big mistake that MG also no interior lighting in the back not good
Heater not great I’m going to speak with the dealer when it goes back for the recall again been once could not do it computer issues.
Wish to god it had an on/off button to switch everything on or off when in get in or out, this switch in the seat is a stupid idea in our view what do you gain left the lights on more than once while unloading shopping etc because they stay on until you lock the car are mess about in the tablet.
Les

No rear wash isn’t a problem in my Trophy, I was sceptical at first but after 925 winter miles and a very dirty car the rear window has remain very clean, it also clears the rain quickly when driving too.

Attachments

• 2BA5A301-AC2A-4CA1-887B-CF852CB756B7.jpeg
    2BA5A301-AC2A-4CA1-887B-CF852CB756B7.jpeg
    335 KB · Views: 118
  • 860C98E7-2EF5-4E17-BAAA-37E19D65567E.jpeg
    860C98E7-2EF5-4E17-BAAA-37E19D65567E.jpeg
    446.1 KB · Views: 111
No rear wash isn’t a problem in my Trophy, I was sceptical at first but after 925 winter miles and a very dirty car the rear window has remain very clean, it also clears the rain quickly when driving too.
I think that’s a pretty conclusive test of the ability of the rear windscreen to remain dirt free. 👍

I think that’s a pretty conclusive test of the ability of the rear windscreen to remain dirt free. 👍
I’m very surprised at how well it clears the rain when moving, it’s dirtier on the inside from my dog rubbing up against.
And for reference a large 44kg German Shepard fits in the boot ok

Attachments

• 916E4396-6A73-4E63-8176-8EFF87A3B424.jpeg
    916E4396-6A73-4E63-8176-8EFF87A3B424.jpeg
    600.7 KB · Views: 122
I’m very surprised at how well it clears the rain when moving, it’s dirtier on the inside from my dog rubbing up against.
And for reference a large 44kg German Shepard fits in the boot ok
I don't think my two dogs will fit in the boot. A 33kg male greyhound and a 25kg female greyhound might need a bit more space 🤣

I don't think my two dogs will fit in the boot. A 33kg male greyhound and a 25kg female greyhound might need a bit more space 🤣
Seats do fold nearly flat but they would definitely have to get on very well in the boot 😜🙃. My Shepherd is very long and tall so always has to hunch when sitting up, there is slightly less space than my previous MG5 but he’s comfortable on journeys.

Attachments

• B7C0E9EB-95C3-4EAC-95ED-0697A546F177.jpeg
    B7C0E9EB-95C3-4EAC-95ED-0697A546F177.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 86

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 422 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member