500 miles in….

szzz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Had some time this week with my new MG4 SR. Been to loads of places. I love the car.

Got a few niggles. Has anyone had this?

1. Put into sports mode. After chucking it about for 30 seconds it automatically goes into snow mode. In 27C 🤷‍♂️
2. Quite like the keep lane assist. Only tried to kill me once. But it’s good really.
3. Infotainment is proper Chinese software. Unintuitive and clunky and buggy and unpredictable.
4. Why can’t I have a profile. I feel like a stranger in the car when I get in.
5 Response and handling is incredibly good. Chucked it about in a storm and puddles and it didn’t care.
6. Lovely when it’s clean in the sun. Beatiful car.
7. Errors when charging about the 12v battery. Then never happened again. No idea 🤷‍♂️
8. Driver window has full close on button pull. The others don’t?
9. DAB randomly stops letting me change channel and sticks on something else.

Not MG faults

1. Need a tinkle bell or something in supermarkets. People are oblivious to EVs. Walk in fromt of me. Same with birds on lanes. Gtf out of the way you daft sparrow.
2 CarPlay is decent. Needs to allow more dashboard tweaking. It’s a bit poor on customising.

In summary, I LOVE the car to drive. I find the software frustrating.

Almost everything you’ve mentioned is already covered in other threads on the forum. Have a look here and then use the search button to find the posts…

…sport mode showing snow on one screen is a known bug. Doesn’t go into snow mode, just displays it

Item 7. Check the 12v battery terminals for tightness. There have been a few with loose terminals.

Item 8. Only the Trophy has one touch windows all round. It's only the driver's window on the SE

1. Need a tinkle bell or something in supermarkets. People are oblivious to EVs. Walk in fromt of me. Same with birds on lanes. Gtf out of the way you daft sparrow.
On another EV forum, one of the guys intalled a wireless doorbell under the bonnet and could sound a very polite 'dingdong' to pedestrians walking in front of him.

Pedestrian noise is something that differs greatly between manufacturers.
I don’t recall any noise in the 4, yet my born has quite a noticeable noise.
And there’s a electric/hybrid SUV down our street (may be a Toyota) that is actually quite loud.

The car has a pedestrian warning sound. There is a YouTube video on it where one and off were compared. Mind you it is a quiet sound.
Ridiculously quiet; I’ve been right at a pedestrian’s elbow before now (driving ultra slowly, I should add) before they’ve suddenly noticed me and jumped (also a dangerous, car-induced reaction). As has already been mentioned, the human sensorium (plus habitual expectations) also tends to interpret near-silent motion as motionlessness, meaning you have to be doubly vigilant in built-up areas (or when approaching walkers in the countryside). Eye-opening, and a definite weakness of MGs generally.

On another EV forum, one of the guys intalled a wireless doorbell under the bonnet and could sound a very polite 'dingdong' to pedestrians walking in front of him.

Does that even work? Yesterday I was trying to cycle in the village on roads that had a lot of pedestrians wandering around. My bike bell is a polite little ting-ting. I really needn't have bothered. Nobody paid a blind bit of attention.

Ridiculously quiet; I’ve been right at a pedestrian’s elbow before now (driving ultra slowly, I should add) before they’ve suddenly noticed me and jumped (also a dangerous, car-induced reaction). As has already been mentioned, the human sensorium (plus habitual expectations) also tends to interpret near-silent motion as motionlessness, meaning you have to be doubly vigilant in built-up areas (or when approaching walkers in the countryside). Eye-opening, and a definite weakness of MGs generally.

I've had the same thing. I've been crawling along at walking pace just waiting for the pedestrians to do their thing, and finally they hear something, and turn round. The expression of shock on their faces when they see a socking great motor-car sitting there is priceless.

Not so funny if I hadn't seen them and hadn't been waiting for them to move, though.

Does that even work? Yesterday I was trying to cycle in the village on roads that had a lot of pedestrians wandering around. My bike bell is a polite little ting-ting. I really needn't have bothered. Nobody paid a blind bit of attention.
I dunno if it works or not. My i3 doesnt have a noise maker so I just drive around car parks with care and consideration for pedestrians who will not be aware of my presence.

Pedestrian noise is something that differs greatly between manufacturers.
I don’t recall any noise in the 4, yet my born has quite a noticeable noise.
And there’s a electric/hybrid SUV down our street (may be a Toyota) that is actually quite loud.

There was a video clip on Twitter yesterday of a woman yelling at a guy in a Tesla for "sitting there with your engine running polluting the air!" There was some speculation about what she might be hearing (the car was stationary), but the consensus was that the whole thing was clickbait set-up.

You cant be too careful with a BMW, this guy tried his R.H. indicator and learned a very hard lesson.

az9BDXK_460s.jpg

I've never actually used the horn! I don't like blasting at pedestrians if I can just wait for them to get out of the way. I only use it to warn someone of imminent danger, and if I can remove that danger simply by stopping, I'll do that.

I had to beep a squirrel today. Had no idea I was coming 🤣

He absolutely panicked and jumped into a hedge. Impressive leap tbf.

I've noticed that sheep are a lot safer with the EV. Instead of panicking and running round like a bagatelle ball, probably ending up under the wheels, they just stay where they are, maybe looking up in an incurious sort of manner.

Had some time this week with my new MG4 SR. Been to loads of places. I love the car.

Got a few niggles. Has anyone had this?

1. Put into sports mode. After chucking it about for 30 seconds it automatically goes into snow mode. In 27C 🤷‍♂️
2. Quite like the keep lane assist. Only tried to kill me once. But it’s good really.
3. Infotainment is proper Chinese software. Unintuitive and clunky and buggy and unpredictable.
4. Why can’t I have a profile. I feel like a stranger in the car when I get in.
5 Response and handling is incredibly good. Chucked it about in a storm and puddles and it didn’t care.
6. Lovely when it’s clean in the sun. Beatiful car.
7. Errors when charging about the 12v battery. Then never happened again. No idea 🤷‍♂️
8. Driver window has full close on button pull. The others don’t?
9. DAB randomly stops letting me change channel and sticks on something else.

Not MG faults

2 CarPlay is decent. Needs to allow more dashboard tweaking. It’s a bit poor on customising.

In summary, I LOVE the car to drive. I find the software frustrating.
Is it not fitted with a horn?

Is it not fitted with a horn?

The trouble is, horns sound like "get out of my way at once you pleb, come on, jump to it," whereas many of us would rather sound like, "excuse me, but did you notice I'm here and would like to get past some time, at your convenience, please?"

I had this trouble with bicycle bells. So I asked the bike shop to fit one that sounded like "excuse me..." The result is that nobody even stops licking their ice-cream cone.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back