A little rant over zs reviews

N2STY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Not just zs but other cars too
When they say nice boot (trunk) size but it not flat as if its a bad thing
I like a deeper lip. Flat boots wind me up you get your weeks shopping and the bag falls over when you open the boot it all falls on the floor
So I just don't get it rant over🙃

I like a deeper lip. Flat boots wind me up you get your weeks shopping and the bag falls over when you open the boot it all falls on the floor
I think it's a personal thing. I prefer a flat boot (hence usually go for an estate) as it's easier to get the hound in/out etc. I also think that if loading heavy stuff (washing machines, hiding Russian gold bars etc.) that flat floors are generally preferred, but I do agree with you, just because something is not flat is not reason for a bad review, it just did not meet that person's expectations or use-case.

Last edited:
Funny you should say that. Just this morning I was following a Mitsubishi through a village, and as he pulled away, his tailgate lifted and a suitcase gently slid out of the back. Tooted my horn and flashed my lights to make him aware. :)

Good point and well made.
I'm perfectly happy with the existing design.

I once had an Astra van deposit multiple reels of cable, most of my tools and literally hundreds of small connectors all over a dual lane roundabout in Basingstoke during rush hour. Never wanted a flat boot floor again after that, give me the biggest lip you can find😂

A no or low lip boot is handy for sitting on, a flat floor is handy for sliding large stuff in.
Neither of these apply to me as I can't lift heavy stuff and I never sit in the boot.

I have lost multiple bottles/jars when opening the boot lid of estate cars with flat floors. Don't want one again.

The advantage of flat boot is for moving heavy and large things like a fridge or washing machine but realistically how often do you do it like once every couple of years maybe vs weekly shopping.

If you have young children then a flat floor makes it easier when putting the pram into the car, and getting it out.

I was happily manoeuvring prams and pushchairs in and out of cars before hatchbacks even existed!

The flat boot lip is better for dogging.
So I've heard.

Having read the above comments I wondering if I am the only person who has noticed that with the ZS (2019 onwards) and the MG5 LR you can have your cake and eat it too! Both the ZS and the MG5 LR have a boot (trunk) floor which can be set at two levels covering both requirements. I use it at the higher level for day to day use and with the low lip, it is fine for shopping and a few bags or tools. also useful for the occasional Tip-run or IKEA when with back seats down there's a longer almost level loading area in my ZS. Also when holidaying (remember those things) I can get several walking boots and a bag plus 2 fold up chairs beneath the boot deck and then still have an uncluttered boot for nice stuff. Deck down is useful caring bulker or tall stuff from the garden centre etc although I've yet to manage to get my mother-in-law in there over the deeper lip 😁

What does surprise me tbh (reverting back to the original title of this blog) is that the so-called "Professional" and YouTube "Reviewers" so often comment on the boot (truck) size, proportions and lip without noticing that the deck can be put in "2" positions! If they fail to notice or choose not to notice it is always accompanied by a negative comment saying either that it is smaller than this or that alternative or it has a big boot-lip or that the loading area isn't flat is it perhaps they can't bring themselves to say that the MG offers both great value and yet doesn't sacrifice flexibility and practicality. Would this put more expensive brands on the hook to justify why they are so much more expensive? And would those say reviews find those more expensive less forthcoming with mainstream Press cars in future? Just say that's all.

Last edited:
Both the ZS and the MG5 LR have a boot (trunk) floor which can be set at two levels covering both requirements.
I understand there is still a "lip" at the highest setting?
Wonder if it would have been practical to have a third level that gives you a fully flat load floor or if there's good reasons why not.

I’m really frustrated every time I read “some cheap materials” in the MG ZS yet VW ID3 “has a decent quality interior”.

Reality was the complete opposite. ZS perfectly decent whilst the VW reminded me of a mk1 Skoda Fabia.

I once had an Astra van deposit multiple reels of cable, most of my tools and literally hundreds of small connectors all over a dual lane roundabout in Basingstoke during rush hour. Never wanted a flat boot floor again after that, give me the biggest lip you can find😂
Muhammad Ali Louisville lip is that big enough for you 😂😂

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom