AC 7KW Charging speed

enjoylife

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Alright then folks.. help me out with my first real issue!

Only got the car few days ago (new ZS LR Trophy) but when charging on AC 7KW (normal podpoint charger as work or supermarket), the charging speed seems to start at 7KW (6.2-6.5KW shown on the app) but then slows down to half the speed (3.1-3.5 KW shown on the app) after 15-20 mins and then remains at that slow speed throughout. This is regardless of the state of charge and outside/battery temperature as it has now consistently happened to me 2-3 times.

I have checked from podpoint and there is no load balancing in place to reduce charge speed and on the same podpoint charger at work, the next port is charging a LEAF at 7KW full speed without any problems (also have charged my previous Leaf on same charger without any issues). Have checked the usual, changing the ports, stop and start charge a few times but still the slow speed. The cable is brand new supplied with the car and definitely 32A.

Any ideas what could be the issue? Can't see any setting within the car to limit charge speed!

Do you have a 7 Kw wall box at home, if so what is happening at that end ?.
If you have a home energy meter, you can check what the car is pulling on that.
I know you said the type 2 cable is new, but have you tried another cable just be sure ?.
It's a process of elimination now !.
Agree, there is no facility to adjust the charging speed inside the car.
This is regulated by the BMS system I believe.

Do you have a 7 Kw wall box at home, if so what is happening at that end ?.
If you have a home energy meter, you can check what the car is pulling on that.
I know you said the type 2 cable is new, but have you tried another cable just be sure ?.
It's a process of elimination now !.
Agree, there is no facility to adjust the charging speed inside the car.
This is regulated by the BMS system I believe.

Waiting for the home 7KW wallbox to get installed so cannot test that yet.
I agree.. was thinking of checking with another cable. Need to find someone to lend me one to test!

Pritty much all cables have the size printed down the side of it 32amp will say 6mm 3 for single phase 5 for three phase
IMG_20220608_133045_edit_1769921035214826.jpg

The cars BCM can reduce charge if cells are getting bit to toastie but unless water pump isn't working it shouldn't have to

I don't know if you can hear it still waiting for car
Can you confirm that you have done a 100% charge and balance be for your testing as it can also reduce charge if cells are not balanced at the end of the day the bcm will do whatever is better for the batteries

Is there any way you could borrow another cable, just to eliminate that ?

I had this issue. I rang the electrician and we worked out between us that the clip (??) needed to be on another cable. I moved it and the charge instantly went from 3 to 7.
Sorry I can’t provide any more technical details or vocabulary!

I had this issue. I rang the electrician and we worked out between us that the clip (??) needed to be on another cable. I moved it and the charge instantly went from 3 to 7.
Sorry I can’t provide any more technical details or vocabulary!
Was that a clamp near your fuse board?

Lol sounds like it was load managing and you have now bypass that not really a good idea
I know if it detects not working or unplugged it defaults to 16amp 3.5kw
Who knows. I described the set up and send photos to the electrician and he guided me through it. If it was on the wrong wire it would default to 3.5 - which it was doing…. dunno.

Only got the car few days ago (new ZS LR Trophy) but when charging on AC 7KW (normal podpoint charger as work or supermarket), the charging speed seems to start at 7KW (6.2-6.5KW shown on the app) but then slows down to half the speed (3.1-3.5 KW shown on the app) after 15-20 mins and then remains at that slow speed throughout. This is regardless of the state of charge and outside/battery temperature as it has now consistently happened to me 2-3 times.

I have checked from podpoint and there is no load balancing in place to reduce charge speed and on the same podpoint charger at work, the next port is charging a LEAF at 7KW full speed without any problems (also have charged my previous Leaf on same charger without any issues). Have checked the usual, changing the ports, stop and start charge a few times but still the slow speed. The cable is brand new supplied with the car and definitely 32A.

Any ideas what could be the issue? Can't see any setting within the car to limit charge speed!

Hi, I've noticed the same thing. I drive a MG5 SR. I've only noticed it with Podpoint.

Points to note -

1) It doesn't happen all the time.
2) I have had it happen on three completely different sites so that rules out the charger.
3) Because this is happening on 2 different models it rules the cars and cables out.
4) I've only noticed it since spring.
5) Only seems to be Podpoint.

Conclusions -
1) Could be the car BMS throttling back the charge for some reason but I highly doubt that it just doesn't get that hot in the UK.
2) Probably Podpoint throttling back the charge for some reason. Could be site capacity ( I doubt this though because I've had this happen at a Premier Inn with only one charger point) or maybe something to do with network energy availability.

Update.
I've just found this thread that rules out the MG BMS causing the throttling back.

So the only thing left is Podpoint load managing the charge.

Hope this helps

Ron.

Last edited:
You’ve tried once on a single point. That’s not great science.

I too have noticed this on 3 Podpoint supermarket chargers, but a fourth which is fairly new does not yet do it.
I suspect that is intentional.
If the other half of the charger is vacant, you can do another 15-20 mins by disconnecting and restarting on the other side. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom