AC 7KW Charging speed

Hi, I've noticed the same thing. I drive a MG5 SR. I've only noticed it with Podpoint.

Points to note -

1) It doesn't happen all the time.
2) I have had it happen on three completely different sites so that rules out the charger.
3) Because this is happening on 2 different models it rules the cars and cables out.
4) I've only noticed it since spring.
5) Only seems to be Podpoint.

Conclusions -
1) Could be the car BMS throttling back the charge for some reason but I highly doubt that it just doesn't get that hot in the UK.
2) Probably Podpoint throttling back the charge for some reason. Could be site capacity ( I doubt this though because I've had this happen at a Premier Inn with only one charger point) or maybe something to do with network energy availability.

Update.
I've just found this thread that rules out the MG BMS causing the throttling back.

So the only thing left is Podpoint load managing the charge.

Hope this helps

Ron.
Thanks for this. Exactly my issue!
So kind of relieved it’s not my car or cable on the face of it. But still very strange issue indeed. In my case, like I said, the Leaf on adjacent socket happily charged at 7KW all the way through and so did my previous leaf.

My guess is some charging software incompatibility between podpoint and some cars causing this issue.

I too have noticed this on 3 Podpoint supermarket chargers, but a fourth which is fairly new does not yet do it.
I suspect that is intentional.
If the other half of the charger is vacant, you can do another 15-20 mins by disconnecting and restarting on the other side. :)
Very interesting indeed! I have raised the issue with podpoint. Let’s see!

Very interesting indeed! I have raised the issue with podpoint. Let’s see!
Will be interesting to hear from them. Please keep us informed.
My suspicion is the that the site owners have requested it to stop lingering and non-shoppers hogging them.

But Leaf owners are welcome to linger? :unsure:
.... and MG owners on some Podpoints, but not on others.

I have had no updates on my MG5 since new, so that eliminates chages to the car. On the same Podpoints that I have used since getting the car, the charge rate is now dropping after 15-20 odd minutes consistently.
The charging behaviour has changed on these, but on another Podpoint the charge rate is maintained throughout.
This suggests to me it is not the car but the Podpoint at that location that has changed somehow.

An alternative theory is that the Podpoint app recognises that I am a regular(ish) user and it considers I have had my share, however I consider this unlikely as it doesn't restrict me at other locations.

Hi, I noticed slow charging on the round pillar podpoints in Tescos in the hot weather, the ones they have with the flat screens seem Ok to me. It's still nice that both types are free :)

Just an update on my issue. All pushing Podpoint multiple times over a 2-3 week period, this has now confirmed to be a podpoint issue and they have done some remote software updates / tweaks to our workplace charger to get it fixed (which I have confirmed to be worked so all great).

HI All,

Just received this from pod point, they asked for the controllers that are slow charging -

"Hi Kevin,

Arlo-Amir, Kent-Vera, Hope-Alma, Matt-Theo, Emil-Zena, Jack- Will.

Like I said earlier this is happening on a number of different manufacturers cars. It's not the cars, cables or chargers. This issue seems to have started April/May this year prior to that they always charged a 7kW. If it's now Pod Points policy to slow the charge down then that's your prerogative. If there is a software problem at your end then just let me know at least your customers will know what's going on.

Regards,

Ron."

Pod Points reply -

"Hello Ron,

Thank you for your email.

We have looked into the chargers mentioned and have updated the software. After running a few tests, the issue of charge event speeds dropping has been resolved for the time being.

At your convenience please do attempt to use any of the named chargers and let me know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Kevin Masona
Customer Support Executive
Pod Point Ltd."

So lets hope it's all fixed now.

Try it on the 22Kwh Podpoint. ZS should then charge at full rate of 7.4 or thereabouts if you have signed in. Unfortunately the ZS wont charge at a higher rate even on a 3 phase cable

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom