AC Charging Speeds

mg4runner

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all!

Recently taken ownership of a UK model MG4 Trophy (picked it up 13th Jan) and have had an excellent experience so far.

I’ve found something interesting whilst charging my car today; I believed that the on-board charger for AC charging was capped at 7kW, however when I plus my car into a 22kW AC post the car is claiming closer to 11kW! Has anyone else experienced something similar?
32A6A168-44DD-4837-B0EC-F81105B5A827.png

Last edited:
I think that’s it’s up to 11kwh onboard AC with the larger battery pack.

You can tell by looking at the charge port ... the LR models may have pins in the L2 and L3 holes. This means the onboard charger supports 3-phase charging, of up to 11kW (16A per phase). The same charger supports single-phase charging (via the L1 pin) up to 7kW (32A).

The SR model only supports single-phase charging.

You can tell by looking at the charge port ... the LR models may have pins in the L2 and L3 holes. This means the onboard charger supports 3-phase charging, of up to 11kW (16A per phase). The same charger supports single-phase charging (via the L1 pin) up to 7kW (32A).

The SR model only supports single-phase charging.
That’s good to know! Thank you for your help :)

Hi all!

Recently taken ownership of a UK model MG4 Trophy (picked it up 13th Jan) and have had an excellent experience so far.

I’ve found something interesting whilst charging my car today; I believed that the on-board charger for AC charging was capped at 7kW, however when I plus my car into a 22kW AC post the car is claiming closer to 11kW! Has anyone else experienced something similar?View attachment 14709
I have a Trophy model and when i plug into the 22kW three phase charger at work, the charging power went to around 9.5kW. I usually see around 6.5kW on my 7kW charger at home, so the car must have a 11kW charger built in.

I have a Trophy model and when i plug into the 22kW three phase charger at work, the charging power went to around 9.5kW. I usually see around 6.5kW on my 7kW charger at home, so the car must have a 11kW charger built in.
A lot of reviews I’ve watched online tended to quote the max AC charging at 7kW so it’s a nice bonus that it can make use of slightly faster charging! Thank you for your help :)

There early rumours were it was 7kw in the UK, time and much discussion has proved out that the long range UK spec cars have 11kw.on board chargers.
You don't ever reach the 11kw due to the various losses so the figures above (6.5&9.5) look about correct.

Afternoon, Is there any way to increase the Charging KW?
I have the SE LR and we have 3 phase 22kw chargers at work, but my car will only pulk 6.94kw max.
Looking at the messages above i should at least be able to get 9.5kw?

Afternoon, Is there any way to increase the Charging KW?
I have the SE LR and we have 3 phase 22kw chargers at work, but my car will only pulk 6.94kw max.
Looking at the messages above i should at least be able to get 9.5kw?
It's likely the lead you are using is a single phase 32 amp lead, if so a 3 phase 32amp lead would get you using the higher kW input the LR is capable of, and also still get 7kw on single phase.

It's likely the lead you are using is a single phase 32 amp lead, if so a 3 phase 32amp lead would get you using the higher kW input the LR is capable of, and also still get 7kw on single phase.
Thankyou, I had no idea they were different. MG Supplied it with my last car (ZS), so didn't even think to query it with this one..

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back