Acceleration lag in Electric mode at 45-50mph.

Soapybrillopad

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
When accelerating in electric mode i have a major lag in speed between 45-50mph where the car will hold speed for a few seconds which when overtaking can be really disturbing when I need that acceleration. Is this normal on this car or something I need to get checked out. Also, I’m experiencing quite a loud electric motor whine, which I’ve only noticed when driving with windows open. Whine is loud enough for pedestrians to turn and look when I drive past. Any suggestions? My car is a 2021 HS PHEV

This the normal on all MG HS PHEV just be aware if you are going to over take make sure you are not in EV mode better to be in Auto mode.

Just to add the whine is there for the reason people turn and look so you do not knock them down. I would say it’s not over loud but I have had my one for a year.

The EV gear change pause at 45-50mph is a design fault/feature. Many have reported it and, I believe, have complained to MG that it is a safety fault. The effect is much less at light throttle but is pretty bad if you are trying to accelerate with any enthusiasm.

There is a built-in drone at walking speeds up to about 15mph to warn pedestrians you are approaching. A warning noise of some kind is now a legal requirement on EVs.

The high pitched whistle at speed however, I don't believe is anything to do with warning pedestrians. I believe it's a part of the EV drive chain design. Most likely to do with the EV gearbox that causes the hesitation fault too. There must be a reason, but I've never understood why the EV needs a 4 speed gearbox when everyone else uses a single speed or maybe 2 speed transmission. Maybe it allows a cheaper electric motor to be fitted to the PHEV. I've never noticed passers by reacting to the whistle but if you drive with the window open it gets reflected by walls etc. quite loudly.

Just to add the whine is there for the reason people turn and look so you do not knock them down. I would say it’s not over loud but I have had my one for a year.
The whine is not a pedestrian alert, that is a completely different noise which you can here when running car at slow speed, this is an overbearing noise which eventually screeches at about 35/36 mph, pedestrian alert noise whats off at approx 18mph.

When accelerating in electric mode i have a major lag in speed between 45-50mph where the car will hold speed for a few seconds which when overtaking can be really disturbing when I need that acceleration. Is this normal on this car or something I need to get checked out. Also, I’m experiencing quite a loud electric motor whine, which I’ve only noticed when driving with windows open. Whine is loud enough for pedestrians to turn and look when I drive past. Any suggestions? My car is a 2021 HS PHEV
Mines brand new and the screech at 35mph is is appalling.

The whine is not a pedestrian alert, that is a completely different noise which you can here when running car at slow speed, this is an overbearing noise which eventually screeches at about 35/36 mph, pedestrian alert noise whats off at approx 18mph.
mine isnt overbearing atall unless I'm driving with windows down though a bridge, just a normal motor being powered by inverter noise. yours sounds like a fault.

I had the same problem with noise was not there when purchased from new but had a re call to update something on computer and I have more power but the loud electric motor noise had it checked at dealer they said it’s normal mine new September 2021
Less the 5000 miles
Not good
Please keep us me updated
Go to dealer and complain ask MG To look into asap as mine got louder as weeks went on

Mines booked in again this next week at my supplying dealer so will see what they say. Managed to record it, with car doing 35 and whistling like a kettle. Doing my ears no good at all.

The motor whine is ever present. Diane disturb me as such but it points to the lack of sound proofing between the motor / engine and the cabin.

The lag is normal and I agree with you about the issues. It’s the electric gear but changing gear trains. Like going from second to third in a manual. The whine I don’t know but I could understand if it is deliberate as a number of cars add a sound so pedestrians can hear you coming.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom