Accumulated total reset button after full charge

Cricketer007

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all. I have been averaging around 3.4 KWh and yesterday I fully charged and balanced the battery.

The GOM showed a range of 188 miles in ECO.

However, as soon as I reset the accumulated total to zero (as I guess everyone would to see how many miles they will do from now), the GOM went down to 179.

Any idea why this is?

Yes this is exactly the way it works.

Generally, the Accumulated Trip is used by the GOM calculation.

To reset the GOM calculation one resets the Accumulated Trip. It usually in N3 will tend to show the WLTP range of 163 miles if fully charged/balanced.

It works the same when going the opposite way !.
The other day, I did a full charge and balance.
The car reported a range of 154 miles in normal mode on boot up.
Then when resetting the accumulative trip meter ( which had about 300 ish Miles recorded ) it jumped up to 161 miles !.
I don’t remember having to reset the trip meter to get an actuate reading on the GOM prior to having the update ?.
So, the more miles you build up on the accumulative trip, the more it will reduce the reported range on the GOM it would appear ?.
Yeah - If you don’t want a fright after you have charged ( regarding range ) then reset you trip on a regular basis, I guess is the answer !.

If you don’t reset regularly, it will report a decreased range ( if that is what you want ).
Well that's not actually necessarily true...!
If you've been doing some amazing driving (mainly downhill!!) you're trip data maybe more economical than the WLTP, conversely if you've been driving anywhere normal your trip data will be way worse (and more realistic!!) that the WLTP LOL

It works the same when going the opposite way !.
The other day, I did a full charge and balance.
The car reported a range of 154 miles in normal mode on boot up.
Then when resetting the accumulative trip meter ( which had about 300 ish Miles recorded ) it jumped up to 161 miles !.
I don’t remember having to reset the trip meter to get an actuate reading on the GOM prior to having the update ?.
So, the more miles you build up on the accumulative trip, the more it will reduce the reported range on the GOM it would appear ?.
Yeah - If you don’t want a fright after you have charged ( regarding range ) then reset you trip on a regular basis, I guess is the answer !.
You don't reset the accumulative to get better range (or worse), you reset to go back to square one. It's a reset back to 'factory settings', it doesn't change the real range . The accumulative is YOU, your driving style and economy reflected in the YOUR range using your history of driving, more accurate than just having WLTP.

Last edited:
You don't reset the accumulative to get better range (or worse), you reset to go back to square one. It's a reset back to 'factory settings', it doesn't change the real range . The accumulative is YOU, your driving style and economy reflected in the YOUR range using your history of driving, more accurate than just having WLTP.
Okay 👍 got that !.
It can be a little disconcerting when you fully charge / balance then look at your predicted range on the GOM at boot up to find your range displayed lower than you expected ?.
Then resetting the accumulative trip recalculates the predicted range on the GOM ?.
I don’t remember seeing this fluctuation before, but maybe it was always like that ?.
It just appears to be an odd way of reporting the predicated range ?.
Hey Ho !.

Does this mean to maintain a slightly higher range, we shouldn’t reset ?
Resetting the accumulated total has zero effect on the actual range achieved, it is all down to how you drive and the conditions.

Easy ways to achieve a better range:
  • Drive with a lighter right foot
  • Avoid motorways/high speeds
Less achievable options:
  • Only drive with a tail wind
  • Avoid wet conditions
  • Move somewhere warmer

Resetting the accumulated total has zero effect on the actual range achieved, it is all down to how you drive and the conditions.

Easy ways to achieve a better range:
  • Drive with a lighter right foot
  • Avoid motorways/high speeds
Less achievable options:
  • Only drive with a tail wind
  • Avoid wet conditions
  • Move somewhere warmer

And turn off the heater and sit there shivering 🥶 of course.
That’s NOT happening !.🥴
I plead guilty to doing all the wrong things.

P.S. I'm not really bothered at the moment, so long as I know I get some more electrons before the car stops of it's own accord. I may feel different in the summer if we are allowed to make long journeys though.

The accumulated total when reset, sets the miles/kWh to 3.4.

Another reason that the range changes is temperature. If it’s colder than it was when you last drive, after a few minutes the range will drop.

Conversely, it works the other way too.

The temperature change also is frequently noted when you drive, park up and then next time you drive the car the range is often less, again because the temperature is lower.

Do you know how the temperature is used to recalculate the range? Is it linked to battery temperature and then an altered calcualtion?

I was about to say the same... It's just the estimation that changes by resetting.
Your actual range is unaffected by doing that.

Do you know how the temperature is used to recalculate the range? Is it linked to battery temperature and then an altered calcualtion?
We will literally never know. It'd be nigh on impossible to try to work out the calculation used and all the parameters that affect it - like breaking the enima code!

The accumulated total when reset, sets the miles/kWh to 3.4.

Another reason that the range changes is temperature. If it’s colder than it was when you last drive, after a few minutes the range will drop.

Conversely, it works the other way too.

The temperature change also is frequently noted when you drive, park up and then next time you drive the car the range is often less, again because the temperature is lower.
Where did you get that 3.4 m/kwh figure from?
(3.4 x 44.5 = 151.3 and we don't get a usable 44.5)

From what I've seen I'm pretty confident, that they have set it up on purpose so that when reset in Normal 3, at full charge/balanced it tells you the WLTP range of 163 miles.
It makes sense to do that, otherwise people would say why doesn't it state the range you've said when it's been reset (to "factory settings").

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom