Advice about buying a charging cable

StanBowlesb

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
We've had our MG Trophy for three months now. We've always charged at home with a tethered charger so haven't ever gone to the expense of buying any cables for if and when we need to charge on the road. Indeed, the price of public charging (often 79p per Kw fast charge) means we use our old petrol car for really long journeys as petrol is way cheaper unfortunately. However, my charging app shows a conveniently located Chargepoint station at the Water Gardens Shopping Centre at Harlow which appears to be priced at 40p per Kw. The Harlow charging station has type 2 21kw chargers so ok for an hour or so top-up (enough to get us home to the Midlands from Kent) while doing a bit of shopping. But I have just phoned the shopping centre and asked if the chargers have their own tethered cable and was told I had to bring my own. So a few questions arise:
1. Is it the case that most public chargers require you to bring your own cable? I can't believe that is the case for CCS rapid charging but maybe it is the case for slower type 2 stations like the one at Harlow?
2. Am I right then in thinking I might need to invest in a type 2 cable if I am to use any cheaper type 2 chargers that I find on the road?
3. I assume there is no point in buying the very expensive CCS cable if CCS fast charging stations come with their own tethered cable. But am I right in assuming this?
4. Anyone know about Chargepoint at Harlow? Is it true that you have to bring your own cable?
5. Finally, any tips/recommendations for buying a cable? They seem fairly pricy and my inclination would be to buy one second hand on ebay if I can be assured the cable is in top condition.

I have never encountered a CCS charger that didn't have its own connector. I don't think such a thing exists. A lot of type 2 chargers (but not all) require the driver to have a type 2 cable.

It's well worth buying such a cable. I just let the dealer sell me one along with the car, although in hindsight I could probably have bought one more cheaply. I keep the thing in its bag under the bonnet, in the space between the bonnet and the plastic tray, where it fits quite nicely, and forget it's there. But it is there if I happen to need it.

I found a free type 2 charger in the car park of a botanic garden I visited one day. Fortunately I had both my cable and my ChargePlace Scotland card in the car, or I wouldn't have been able to take advantage.

I am very surprised your MG4 did not come supplied with a type 2 cable. I would recommend not buying second hand. CCS charges always have their own cable I believe.

Most of these cars are being sold with only a granny charger included and a type 2 is extra. In Britain at least. I did hear that a shortage of granny chargers las year led to some being supplied with a type 2 instead, though. And I think in some other countries dealers are supplying both.

The dealer only provided granny charging lead with our MG4 and resisted my attempts to negotiate a type 2 as part of the deal. But going back to the main question in my OP, it seems like all fast DC charging station have their own connectors, but the slower type 2 AC stations tend to be a mix of tethered and untethered? Is that right? For those of you who have a type 2 cable on board, when do you find you have to use it away from home?

The dealer only provided granny charging lead with our MG4 and resisted my attempts to negotiate a type 2 as part of the deal. But going back to the main question in my OP, it seems like all fast DC charging station have their own connectors, but the slower type 2 AC stations tend to be a mix of tethered and untethered? Is that right? For those of you who have a type 2 cable on board, when do you find you have to use it away from home?

Yes, that's right. All rapid DC chargers have a tethered cable. A lot of type 2 AC chargers expect you to bring your own cable.

My first use of the cable was when I went to visit friends, and there happened to be a couple of type 2 chargers only about 50 yards away. So I used these rather than impose on my friends' hospitality by plugging in the granny charger. Picture me tearing the wrapping off the terminals of my brand-new cable with my teeth, on the grass beside the charger.

Second time was in a multi-storey car park. I was going to the theatre and normally would do the whole trip on one charge, but that evening I was driving on to stay in a hotel in preparation for a funeral the next day. I had calculated that I could still do it all on one charge, but that if I topped up while I was in the theatre (the car was going to be parked there anyway) I could give myself more leeway. Again, bring your own cable.

Third time was at Dawyck Botanic Gardens, where I found a free type 2 charger for use of visitors. Again I needed the cable. That time I wasn't expecting the charger, but why pass up on free juice. I'd have had to pass up though, if the cable hadn't been in its usual place under the bonnet.

I expect to need it again this month when I go to stay with friends in Sussex. I notice a charging station in a park 500 yards from their house, and while there is CCS capability I'll probably want to go to 100% and balance before I set off from there, and that will mean using a type 2. I think it's likely the type 2 will need a cable, although it might not.

I think most of the type 2 charging places scattered around the landscape need you to bring your cable, actually. Although the charger at the end of my street is three-in-one and has CCS, type 2 and CHAdeMO connectors all attached, for you to pick the one you want.

Last edited:
All DC rapid/ultra-rapid chargers have a built-in cable. I've never used the granny cable that came with Audi and rarely use the type 2 apart from occasional use if lucky enough to find a vacant charger somewhere like a shopping mall and will be there for a few hours.

You would need a type2 to type2 32A cable for a destination Fast AC EVSE at say a supermarket, shopping centre or car park that you where going to be parked in for a number or hours.
A rapid DC CCS charger will have a tethered cable.

Perhaps worth noting too that a lot of charging in Europe (well France I can confidently say, having researched in preparation for our family holiday to Brittany) that off the beaten track charging coverage is very good, most small towns have them, but very often they are the AC, untethered (ie bring your own type 2 cable) type.

I bought one of amazon and splashed out to benefit from the slightly quicker AC charging on the MG5 with a three-phase cable. Cost me ÂŁ140ish, which isn't bad when the dealers wanted ÂŁ250+ for a one-phase cable (which therefore could only charge at Max 7kwh!)

Most of these cars are being sold with only a granny charger included and a type 2 is extra. In Britain at least. I did hear that a shortage of granny chargers las year led to some being supplied with a type 2 instead, though. And I think in some other countries dealers are supplying both.
Mine came with a type 2 cable but it only charged at 3kw max so was rather pointless. I had a better type 2 cable from another car and now I am getting 11kw charge speeds from AC chargers. Message is - check the rating of any cable you buy

Mine came with a type 2 cable but it only charged at 3kw max so was rather pointless. I had a better type 2 cable from another car and now I am getting 11kw charge speeds from AC chargers. Message is - check the rating of any cable you buy
A single phase type2 32A will only charge at 3.5kW on a 11kW 3 phase EVSE.

As far as I know my SE SR isn't able to take advantage of faster AC charging anyway.
Yes the SE SR will only ever charge at 7kW on any AC charger.

OP - as yours is an early Trophy it will charge at a max. of 11kW on an AC charger rated at 11kW or more with the correct 3 phase cable. As said above all rapid DC CCS chargers have a tethered cable. Don't expect to get 22 or 43kW!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back