Advice about buying a charging cable

I haven't come across one of these, although I have come across tethered AC connectors on the same posts as DC connectors.
1691001672612.png

No MG EV by default comes with a type 2 cable, just the granny calls.
The opposite of Renault, the Meganes all come with 3 phase type 2 as they all charge to 22kw AC.

So what’s the opinion on the type 2 32 amp cable? Single phase or three phase?
What's the maximum AC charging your model can handle? Eg mine (MG5 facelift) can charge at 11kwh but only with three phase cable

Really depends on if your car is capable of 11kw AC charging.
To be fair even if it isn't I'd still get a cable capable of 7kw rather than 3.5

I have the Trophy LR so I’m guessing 11kwh as well
Greenflag have them on offer at the moment. £99 for single phase and £120.49 for three phase.

I have the Trophy LR so I’m guessing 11kwh as well
Yeah I got a three-phase cable as it wasn't that much more than the singe phase, and there may be the time the odd extra juice is useful. So with a single phase cable most you can expect will be 6.5kwh AC, whereas with the three phase it's about 10.5. The cable is chunky though (ie comparted to the granny cable) but I don't really notice it.

We are off to France soon and there are a lot of 22kw / 50kw chargers about so felt it was worth it.

Most of the time I charge at home and don't actually carry my cable - if I was going on a longer trip I would.

It's a bit of swings and roundabouts but the faster cable for a few £ more made sense to me (paid about £140 on amazon)

Greenflag have them on offer at the moment. £99 for single phase and £120.49 for three phase.
That looks a decent deal and free delivery too by the looks of things...

The article below explains differences well and has pictures of the different type end connectors for clarity

Thanks. Just purchased single phase from Green Flag. Good deal.

I bought a three phase but only because I stay in Scotland fairly frequently and have to rely on public chargers while I'm there. There are some 22kW chargers nearby so it made sense to be able to get the higher charge rate as it cuts charge time by about 1/3 compared with two phase.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back