Advice about buying granny cable

acme

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hello fellow electric vehicle enthusiasts.
I've recently ordered a new MG4 exclusive (only excite and exclusive are available in Greece) and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.
However, I'm facing a slight issue regarding the charging cable. The car will be delivered with a Type 2 cable, but I also need a granny cable.The dealer informed me that a granny cable would cost around €300 and it would take about two months to arrive. Moreover, the length is only 2.5 meters, which I find somewhat limiting.I would like to ask if any of you have experience or advice on where I could find a longer and perhaps more affordable granny cable. Is there a reliable online supplier or store that you could recommend?
Thank you very much for your help!

I've recently ordered a new MG4 exclusive (only excite and exclusive are available in Greece) and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.
However, I'm facing a slight issue regarding the charging cable. The car will be delivered with a Type 2 cable, but I also need a granny cable.The dealer informed me that a granny cable would cost around €300 and it would take about two months to arrive. Moreover, the length is only 2.5 meters, which I find somewhat limiting.I would like to ask if any of you have experience or advice on where I could find a longer and perhaps more affordable granny cable. Is there a reliable online supplier or store that you could recommend?
isnt' type 2 is the granny cable? type 2 is ac , which is most ev comes in the car with...

A type 2 cable can be a granny cable, which will plug into the household mains and be rated at around 13A, or a cable rated at around 30A designed to fit a public AC charger. I would expect the car to come with a granny cable. In the UK you normally have to buy the higher rated cable but not from a dealer, as they are overpriced.
Depending on your availability of chargers you may be able to use those which have a cable attached (tethered) and you may not need to buy another cable.

I would buy the MG one, as the only ever problem that ive had on my MG4 was with a Hyundai granny charger. I sold it to a Hyundai dealer (via ebay), and bought an MG one for 1/2 the price. No issues since. Talking of chargers, no problem on the new V4 tesla superchargers.

Thank you for the information.
I am expecting to receive my car towards the end of next week and plan to post a photo of what I receive from the dealer.
So far, my understanding is that I will be provided only with a cable for use with a wallbox and not for a standard schuko socket.
I will return with an update on what I received and would appreciate any further advice or suggestions on how to proceed.

If the lead has a box with lights about 0.5m from a wall socket plug, ~3.5m cable and then a Type 2 plug then it's a granny lead. If it's straight through with different style Type 2 plugs on each end, then it's a Type 2 lead. :)

Hi acme I brought mine from Lidl in Spain in March this year. I paid about €150 for it then but now it has gone down to less than €100. Estación de carga móvil Lidl

I can easily recommend it. I use it primarily to charge the car nearly every day. I can set it from 1Kw to nearly 4Kw (16a eu plug). It’s only five meters long but….. hope you can get Lidl in Greece
1699807660419.png

wow thats a rip off they cost about £180 pounds in the UK I can send you one just change the plug or use an adaptor ? we can get the same or next day Masterplug 10A 2.3kW Mode 2 Type 2 Socket Electric Vehicle Charging Cable 10m - Screwfix

I have purchased several from Amazon, don't know if they operate in Greece. In addition I carry a 25 meter heavy duty extension lead, must be a heavy duty one rated at continuous 16 amps. Cost for both about £200.

Hi fellows,

I have a question here,

I'm an MG4 owner in the UK, can I use the supplied granny charger on any socket in the house?

Like the one in the garden used for the lawn mower?

Thanks in advance.

Hi fellows,

I have a question here,

I'm an MG4 owner in the UK, can I use the supplied granny charger on any socket in the house?

Like the one in the garden used for the lawn mower?

Thanks in advance.
Yes you can.
Just remember it will be supplying 2.3kW for several hours so it will put a strain on substandard sockets and cables.

I would recommend a dedicated circuit to the consumer unit and having your electrics checked by a sparky.

If you can't or aren't sure about the wiring, I'd recommend using the AC charging level adjustment on the car's charging screen to limit charging to 6A.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back