Advice about buying granny cable

Hello,
Update – I've received my MG4 with a Type 2 charger. For the granny cable, I found a 5-meter option at Kafkas, a local retailer. It's a MC Chargers Station and works perfectly so far with my MG4.

Here's the link for Greeks that might be interested: MC Chargers Station - 5m Cable.

Thank you for your assistance.

I've received my MG4 with a Type 2 charger. For the granny cable,...
Are you saying that your MG4 didn't come with a granny "charger"? Or you just wanted one with variable current limit, or other features?

Or that it came with only a type 2 to type 2 cable (electrical cord with a plug and socket at the ends, no "brick" in the middle?

We may be suffering a language related lack of communication. I'm just curious.

Are you saying that your MG4 didn't come with a granny "charger"? Or you just wanted one with variable current limit, or other features?

Or that it came with only a type 2 to type 2 cable (electrical cord with a plug and socket at the ends, no "brick" in the middle?

We may be suffering a language related lack of communication. I'm just curious.
Yes exactly. My MG4 didn't come with a granny charger.
The only cable that I got, was a type2 to type2 cable with no brick in the middle.

I have bought mine from the Lidl online shop, it's always in my car in case I need to use it by some friends if I need some extra juice or there is no charger in the neighborhood.

Hi all again,

I've got the original MG4 granny cable in the UK, my question is:

Does the extension lead I'll be using with it need to be surge protected?

On the back of my original MG4 granny charger brick it says supply must be leakage protected,
what does it mean ?
Sorry for my ignorance.

I've bought a good 2.5mm 13amp heavy duty extension lead but not surge protected.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi all again,

I've got the original MG4 granny cable in the UK, my question is:

Does the extension lead I'll be using with it need to be surge protected?
No.
On the back of my original MG4 granny charger brick it says supply must be leakage protected,
what does it mean ?
Sorry for my ignorance.
It means it should be on an RCD circuit - ie a circuit that can detect leakage current and trip the circuit breaker. Ideally you'd have a dedicated socket with its own circuit back to the consumer unit.
I've bought a good 2.5mm 13amp heavy duty extension lead but not surge protected.
I would recommend:
  • Make sure it is always fully uncoiled when charging.
  • Properly waterproof the extension connection.
  • Get your home wiring checked by an electrician, unless it is new
  • Consider limiting the AC charge rate from the car (charging screen) to 6A to reduce the strain on your wiring.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back