Advice about buying a charging cable

The big question is (and apologies if this has already been answered), but why oh why did MG choose to only supply the latest MG4 model with single phase charging capability in the UK? I have the Trophy and I love the car, but how annoying to charge next to a Zoe and see that they get 1.5x faster charging than I can :(

My guess is that 99% of homes in the UK are only single phase so why spend money on installing a 3 phase charger for 1% of the population.

But there are lots of more powerful public type 2 chargers people might want to use. Especially people who can't charge at home.
Yes, although if the choice is 3x 7kW chargers vs 1x 22kW, some people would prefer that we have many more public chargers rather than faster ones. Of course, both would be better.

While that's true, the simple fact on the ground is that there are quite a lot of 22 Kw chargers around. Many people would like to use these, and I imagine that if you don't have home charging and want to pick up as much charge as you can when out and about they'd be extremely handy. It doesn't affect me, but I do think the decision to remove that capability from the new NMC-battery models was peculiar and short-sighted.

While that's true, the simple fact on the ground is that there are quite a lot of 22 Kw chargers around. Many people would like to use these, and I imagine that if you don't have home charging and want to pick up as much charge as you can when out and about they'd be extremely handy. It doesn't affect me, but I do think the decision to remove that capability from the new NMC-battery models was peculiar and short-sighted.
I agree it's slightly irritating, but for the number of times it'll be a problem, I see why they've cut that corner. 22kW chargers are fairly unusual even in public, and 50kW ones are increasingly common. There aren't all that many circumstances where you'd not prefer a 50 to a 22.

(And I'm an advocate of flooding every destination with 7kW chargers)

I agree it's slightly irritating, but for the number of times it'll be a problem, I see why they've cut that corner. 22kW chargers are fairly unusual even in public, and 50kW ones are increasingly common. There aren't all that many circumstances where you'd not prefer a 50 to a 22.

Hi ukslim,

On the thread with regard to 11kW chargers I posted the full explanation of the reasoning of my opinion about this specific topic.

While off course 7kW chargers are useful and should be plentiful it does require you to spent a lot of time at a place. This becomes especially important if you can’t charge at home.
DC chargers (even 50kW ones) are too fast for places where you want to hang out for a while. Which leaves you with this awkward place where you’d have to cut your time short or move the car.
A choice a lot of the general public don’t want to make.

And with 11kW chargers our cars (mg4&5) will charge about 50% in 2-2,5hrs.

There aren't that many 22kW chargers where I live in England but when I go to Scotland they are quite common. I find them really useful as they are cheaper than the 50kW ones but charge at about 1.5 times the speed of 7kW chargers. That means roughly 2 hours rather than 3 for the same amount of charge. As I am totally dependent on public chargers while I'm in Scotland, I'm very happy that my Trophy can take 11kW. It makes 'grazing' when convenient more worthwhile.

In Australia & NZ the only MG4 to get a 3 phase charging capability is the MG4 Essence (Trophy equivalent) long range 77kWh model.

It make sense here as almost all houses except farms and businesses have single phase supply. Also because in Australia the uptake of EVs has been super slow until early this year, there are very few public 11/22kW 3 phase chargers available.

Last edited by a moderator:
There aren't that many 22kW chargers where I live in England but when I go to Scotland they are quite common. I find them really useful as they are cheaper than the 50kW ones but charge at about 1.5 times the speed of 7kW chargers. That means roughly 2 hours rather than 3 for the same amount of charge. As I am totally dependent on public chargers while I'm in Scotland, I'm very happy that my Trophy can take 11kW. It makes 'grazing' when convenient more worthwhile.

Yes, I see them around. There's even a 48 kW Type 2 connector on our village charger. I never expected my car to do more than 7 kW AC, but if I'd bought a phase 2 Trophy only to discover that its higher AC charging ability had been removed, I think I'd have been a bit miffed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I smile when charging on street because I see the same Tesla and 2 Kias using crappy type 2 chargers and getting 4kw while I can get 11kw at the same post

I have Ohme Home Pro at home, with a tethered 5m lead.

We only got a Granny lead with the car, so I did some research on Amazon. Initially, I bought a lead from an MG dealer. It arrived in an MG branded bag, but the lead was a generic one. It was also only single phase, up to 7.2kW.

I returned it and instead bought this one that was 3 phase, able to charge up to 22kW.

We have only used it a couple of times, but it seems very good.

Gruensauber Type 2 to Type 2 EV charging cable, 3 Phase, 32 Amp, 22kw, 5M Mode 3 EV Charging Cable, with Free Carry Case https://amzn.eu/d/djexliU

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back