Affinity Scheme

Had a chat with my local MG dealer today about the MG Affinity Scheme.
This is still running at the moment and he confirmed that I would be eligible as a retired civil servant (wasn't sure about that so the clarification was welcome).
The scheme discount brought the price of an Excite down to £20,667 and I have to say that looks quite tempting but I haven't (yet) approached other dealers.
I'd be grateful for some feedback from other members who have used affinity though as I have seen much contradictory information published.
In particular:
  • Did you get any colour at no extra cost?
  • Did you get a Type 2 Charger cable?
  • Did you find scope for further downward negotiation on price (£££ or inclusion of extras)
I've got my first test drive booked next week (y)
Didn't qualify for the affinity scheme but got a 5 year interest free loan from Scottish gov plus a gov discount . Got a type 2 charger cable and a granny one. No negotiation on price though, waitibg lists for the car so just went with it.

In answer to your questions. Yes, Yes and always push for more discounts it depends on availability and how desirable your PX is if you have one. Good used still in relatively short supply. Last thing remember that there is a facelift 5 due out end of year (estimated). Affinity will not last forever though. Good luck.

Didn't qualify for the affinity scheme but got a 5 year interest free loan from Scottish gov plus a gov discount . Got a type 2 charger cable and a granny one. No negotiation on price though, waitibg lists for the car so just went with it.
I was also eligible for civil service affinity at my MG dealer in Merthyr Tydfil and yes I had the red paint and type 2 cable included but no further discount. Nice yo know that I can still get the same type of discount when I retire in less than 6 years. Once u have driven it I promise you won't go back to an ice car, I made my mind up after about 10 min, why would anyone want to pay these prices for fuel now ?

One of the qualifying criteria for Affinity was the use of the Scottish Government loan scheme - quite possibly that’s now changed though. Possibly similar if a discount still involved.

One of the qualifying criteria for Affinity was the use of the Scottish Government loan scheme - quite possibly that’s now changed though. Possibly similar if a discount still involved.
Had to jump through a few hoops to get the loan, fortunately it all worked out in the end. 😀

I have a question please !.
If you have a close relative that holds a “Blue Light” card and you use this to get the affinity discount, does the car have to registered in THAT persons name on the V5 document ?.

Thank you for your reply !.
Do you have personal experience of this, can I ask ?.
Only a relative has enquired at a local dealership about using the Affinity scheme and he was told that the car HAS to registered ( V5 Log book ) in the persons name of the application.
Switching over, will mean the car will receive another owner ?.
This does not sound right to me somehow ?.
Can anybody expand on this matter please.

Had a chat with my local MG dealer today about the MG Affinity Scheme.
This is still running at the moment and he confirmed that I would be eligible as a retired civil servant (wasn't sure about that so the clarification was welcome).
The scheme discount brought the price of an Excite down to £20,667 and I have to say that looks quite tempting but I haven't (yet) approached other dealers.
I'd be grateful for some feedback from other members who have used affinity though as I have

Thank you for your reply !.
Do you have personal experience of this, can I ask ?.
Only a relative has enquired at a local dealership about using the Affinity scheme and he was told that the car HAS to registered ( V5 Log book ) in the persons name of the application.
Switching over, will mean the car will receive another owner ?.
This does not sound right to me somehow ?.
Can anybody expand on this matter please.
Good Evening

My Wife is a teacher and I could have got Affinity Discount but the wait would have been too long for my MG5 so didn't do it.

However, have been so impressed by my 5 that we have we have purchased a HS PHEV for her. For some reason we were able to use it with a stock car for her, maybe changes as they wind down the scheme? Who knows.

I'm sorry, you didn't originally ask for proof. :)

My daughter is a mental health nurse in the community (there are worse jobs but not many!!) and I got the discount by supplying scans of her NHS pass and also her marriage cert (as her surname is now different from mine).

It didn't seem to make any difference to the lead-time on the car delivery (Sept - Dec). I think that's more to do with what cars the dealer has already got pre-ordered and not allocated when you turn up with your deposit.

From reading here I feel that some dealers may be more interested than others in actually checking the credentials. It really didn't seem too onerous and it seemed the dealer was able to apply the discount without reference to Head Office, though I know they kept the PDF evidence..

My local dealer implied MG are taking action over those making false claims. Not seen any evidence to back that up.

My wage slip was good enough evidence but I also supplied my ID badge for them to copy. I don't like to leave anything to chance.

My local dealer implied MG are taking action over those making false claims. Not seen any evidence to back that up.

My wage slip was good enough evidence but I also supplied my ID badge for them to copy. I don't like to leave anything to chance.
Yep, our dealer was the same with saying some had pushed it too far. Payslip and School ID badge PDF'd for evidence.

I got the discount by supplying scans of her NHS pass and also her marriage cert (as her surname is now different from mine).
So, @smokie you where able to supply evidence that your daughter worked in the "Blue Light Service" sector - But you where still able to get the dealer to register YOUR name as the first owner on the V5 / Log Book ?.
Not in your daughters name ???.
Thanks.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom