MG4 Air-con & Under tray update

Sounds like it is still apparent on the phase 2 then. Most describe it as a clatter type noise, as if a high speed fan is catching on metal. Will be interested in hearing yours once you have the video up

Here's a video of the issue I am facing.

Turn on captions if you are viewing it above.

Yep, heard that. Different to what we are all experiencing especially with phase 1 cars. To me that sounds like the blower fans adjusting, sort of like a relay click sound. Obviously in person it is likely more apparent. I'd take it back to your dealer and ask them to explain what it is.

Yep, heard that. Different to what we are all experiencing especially with phase 1 cars. To me that sounds like the blower fans adjusting, sort of like a relay click sound. Obviously in person it is likely more apparent. I'd take it back to your dealer and ask them to explain what it is.
Thanks for the feedback, do you think it is worth creating a seperate thread for this in case anyone else has the same problem?

Thanks for the feedback, do you think it is worth creating a seperate thread for this in case anyone else has the same problem?
If it turns out be a problem with the blower system instead of the actual AC pump, then yes, others with the same symptoms can then share experiences and solutions etc

As an update and to be clear for the doubters. The below are videos of my Air Con, starting off inside the car, then standing by the driver door, then in front of a closed bonnet and with the bonnet open.

All of which went to the motoring ombudsman who asked for details, along with costs incurred by me.

Long and short... MG / Vauxhall Baylis in Gloucester (who are an amazing dealership, but 80 miles away from me), are replacing both my under tray and my entire air con pump (along with re-gassing) next week.

Turning AC on:

Stood by drivers door

Stood in front of closed bonnet

With bonnet open

Something that concerns me about the undertray issue is whether the car component (is it the BMS? - I thought someone said it was) which is immediately above the undertray is actually preventing the undertray from lying flush. I think it might have been on another thread, but one member said he'd had his undertray off and the box that we can see immediately above the bulge was actually a cm or two lower than would allow the undertray to be in the position it would seem to want to be.

Does anyone have any opinion about this? Since PristDean has me on ignore, perhaps someone else could ask the question and we could find out whether his undertray will actually go flat, or whether there is a car component that would prevent it from doing that.

Back to the subject of undertray, here is a pic of a new demo mg4 xpower i drove. Doesn’t look serious. Are there any more bolts there than before?
IMG_8185.jpeg

As an update and to be clear for the doubters. The below are videos of my Air Con, starting off inside the car, then standing by the driver door, then in front of a closed bonnet and with the bonnet open.

All of which went to the motoring ombudsman who asked for details, along with costs incurred by me.

Long and short... MG / Vauxhall Baylis in Gloucester (who are an amazing dealership, but 80 miles away from me), are replacing both my under tray and my entire air con pump (along with re-gassing) next week.

Turning AC on:

Stood by drivers door

Stood in front of closed bonnet

With bonnet open

Awesome well done mate… hope you emailed Gary Smart I big middle finger lol. I’ve just given up my quest to get the AC fixed.

I also get this noise, it was a particularly hot day but still it doesn't sound normal... i've booked it in earliest they can see me is late September the lady at the service desk said they've not experienced this before so not very hopeful they'll know how to fix it.

Very useful, thanks.

To be clear, are you saying the Motor Ombudsman was necessarily to get that response from the dealer?
To be clear, I went into the dealership I mentioned armed with an independent engineers report (£60), screenshots where others on this forum have mentioned they had theirs fixed under warranty, information from the internet on noisy air compressors and the cause, PAG oil recommendations for AC gasses, ombudsman case ref number along with citizens advice case ref number for consumer right purposes. Plus of course the physical fact that it rattles as it does.
Very hard for the dealership to even attempt to fob you off with that lot. However the excellent tech at the dealership I mentioned is on my side and fought with MG customer services for me who tried to take the same tack they did with me, (GS). This time however they backed down when faced with the above and their own tech backing me too.
So for anyone out there who wants theirs sorted, arm yourself with as much as you can to go in with all guns blazing. People affected in the same way can also use this post to prove yours should be sorted under warranty too.

I also get this noise, it was a particularly hot day but still it doesn't sound normal... i've booked it in earliest they can see me is late September the lady at the service desk said they've not experienced this before so not very hopeful they'll know how to fix it.

yeah I get the same noise, def the compressor motor as it stops if you turn AC off but leave fan on full. Worse when compressor at high load - so warm day, fan full and temp at low.

I think it's the same as PristDeans videos but maybe his weren't at full AC load so compressor was running slower?

I've not reported this yet but will do when I arrange going in for some recall updates.

Okay, so below is an update:
Took my car in today for the air-con and under-tray to be sorted. Fours hours return drive after setting off at 06:30 this morning to drop the car off.

Mid afternoon I tried to call to obtain an update as did not want to drive up there and find a problem, however could not get through to the dealership via the service desk, too busy apparently.

One hour (half way) into the two hour drive up there and I receive a call telling me they found the problem. They had to drain the gas and the machine used tells them how much gas and how much oil has been extracted. The machine read... no oil, zero, zilch, nothing at all. So that is why it sounded like someone firing a Phalax CIWS gun under the bonnet. So definitely not a 'Characteristic' of the car as Mr 'not so smart' put it !. So about turn in the loan car and head home. It's a Vauxhall Mokka, mmm... I could go all Jeremy Clarkson right now but i'll resist

They said they'd raise a case with MG, my worry here is that there may be many people out there putting up with a noisy air-con system which is running with no oil in it at all.If you have this issue, suggest you get it checked.

Long and short... I have told them to fit the new AC pump they ordered, I do not want the old one re-installed and gassed properly as I have no idea what damage has now been done to it with no oil in it and running since April this year. The saga continues

Last edited:
Long and short... I have told them to fit the new AC pump they ordered, I do not want the old one re-installed and gassed properly as I have no idea what damage has now been done to it with no oil in it and running since April this year. The saga continues
You should also consider if the old compressor has run without lubrication, the metal debris that it has shed is circulating around the AC system, evaporator, condenser, dryer etc. It is extremely difficult to flush out all of the contamination and any remaining debris will damage the new compressor.

You should also consider if the old compressor has run without lubrication, the metal debris that it has shed is circulating around the AC system, evaporator, condenser, dryer etc. It is extremely difficult to flush out all of the contamination and any remaining debris will damage the new compressor.
Thank you, great point. I'll note that with my dealership

Okay, so below is an update:
Took my car in today for the air-con and under-tray to be sorted. Fours hours return drive after setting off at 06:30 this morning to drop the car off.

Mid afternoon I tried to call to obtain an update as did not want to drive up there and find a problem, however could not get through to the dealership via the service desk, too busy apparently.

One hour (half way) into the two hour drive up there and I receive a call telling me they found the problem. They had to drain the gas and the machine used tells them how much gas and how much oil has been extracted. The machine read... no oil, zero, zilch, nothing at all. So that is why it sounded like some firing a Phalax CIWS gun under the bonnet. So definitely not a 'Characteristic' of the car as Mr 'not so smart' put it !. So about turn in the loan car and head home. It's a Vauxhall Mocha, mmm... I could go all Jeremy Clarkson right now but i'll resist

They said they'd raise a case with MG, my worry here is that there may be many people out there putting up with a noisy air-con system which is running with no oil in it at all.If you have this issue, suggest you get it checked.

That's a shocker but doesn't surprise me after some of the other cock ups that have come from the production line.
Would certainly explain why it's getting louder and louder in some cars, potentially more and more damage being done running dry.
Characteristic of the car!!!

That's a shocker but doesn't surprise me after some of the other cock ups that have come from the production line.
Would certainly explain why it's getting louder and louder in some cars, potentially more and more damage being done running dry.
Characteristic of the car!!!
Indeed, it baffles me how a production line can omit and allow such things as these (warped under-tray & air-con). It seems to imply zero QC and a 'push em out whatever' approach in the factory. MG 'should' be seriously concerned with the potential brand impact of these things and not just sit there playing the Ostrich after spouting words to the effect "They all sound like that sir, a characteristic of the car".

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back